Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,756
Camaro (or Musclecar) vs Tesla S

So today we went and picked up my buddy's Gen 5 Camaro SS from storage. A beautiful yellow and black car that certainly turns heads. On the way back into the city we stiffed by his brothers and took his new Tesla S for a spin.

Now I want one. And a lithe track day car for weekends. The storage space, the fit the finish, even the look of the Tesla blew away the Camaro (and my Mustang obviously) but what impressed me was the speed. With 100% of torque available from zero the time to 60 felt way above it's rated 4.2 seconds. The car, while heavy is planted thanks to a lower centre of gravity so cornering felt terrific. The underpan is smooth and aerodynamic and the car lowers at speed. OK, it's expensive, but is it? It would replace both my Boss and my Dodge Journey easily. And operating costs seen low. Have to say, I was very impressed. Can't imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. And I could help but feel the cars we know and love are becoming dinosaurs. I do, however see cars like the Vette still having relevance.
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,756
Oh, and before anyone asks...
Attached Images
 
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Can't imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. And I could help but feel the cars we know and love are becoming dinosaurs. I do, however see cars like the Vette still having relevance.
I don't know about becoming dinosaurs. I'll still like the Mustang, Viper, Challenger, and Camaro a lot more than the Tesla S. Just my opinion.
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro
 
AmericanMuscleCars's Avatar
 
Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I don't know about becoming dinosaurs. I'll still like the Mustang, Viper, Challenger, and Camaro a lot more than the Tesla S. Just my opinion.
My question is why is there a mustang owner on here?!?!
__________________
White shoes at the black show
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A
 
sasquash1984's Avatar
 
Drives: The yeti
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saginaw/ Ft Worth TX
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
My question is why is there a mustang owner on here?!?!
this is america, i dont see the problem here
heres the tesla s for those who dont know
Name:  tesla-model-s-tint-front.jpg
Views: 3302
Size:  290.7 KB
__________________
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
My question is why is there a mustang owner on here?!?!
I currently have a couple of Mustangs. But I've owned, let's just say more than a few enthusiast automobiles of every stripe every since I bough a yellow MGB at 15 with my best bud 38 years ago. Never actually got that to run having instead to settle for a '69 Cougar as the car that defined my early driving experience. I joined C5 when the ZL1 was announced as I was interested in learning more about it. My question to you, is why hang out only with Camaro fans? Get out a bit, join some other forums, expand your horizons. Lots to learn about cars and other folks experiences. You may even make a few new friends along the way. ;-)
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
this is america, i dont see the problem here
heres the tesla s for those who dont know
Attachment 500690
Good picture. Was seriously surprised and impressed with the car. Wouldn't replace a dedicated sports car, or track car... But man o man could it replace both a cross over and a muscle car. Tonnes of storage, seating for 6, with cool racy looking rear facing kid jump seats and fast. The pull from a standstill was seriously impressive and painful to my neck. My car does the same numbers but far less violently.
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,253
I hate that car with a passion.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
PHXLT1
 
PHXLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: black Z28
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: el mirage
Posts: 719
id get one but I only have one issue. With it being new tech there won't be anyone with know how or parts available. Cept the dealer which we all know is expensive.
__________________
I'm Fernando
94 Z28
Could be the end of the world.
I'd still be laid here on my own..........wasting my life away.
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
DarkneSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 3,735
I gotta strongly disagree on the looks, Camaro takes the win there. I'm sure they are fun but in this world I'll take an engine over electric any day. I can go to a gas station, and in minutes I can fill up enough energy to go hundreds of miles. Electric cars take hours to fill up for barely 100 miles.
For the car enthusiast, it just won't cut it. You can't replicate the sound of an engine. Not only that, but you can't even mod the damn thing. No such thing as bolt ons or turbos lol
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
RBD
 
RBD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mendota, IL
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I gotta strongly disagree on the looks, Camaro takes the win there. I'm sure they are fun but in this world I'll take an engine over electric any day. I can go to a gas station, and in minutes I can fill up enough energy to go hundreds of miles. Electric cars take hours to fill up for barely 100 miles.
For the car enthusiast, it just won't cut it. You can't replicate the sound of an engine. Not only that, but you can't even mod the damn thing. No such thing as bolt ons or turbos lol
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,468
If you live in Cali and a couple of other places, there may be a chance you can get to one of Tesla's charging stations. Obviously for now, it's supposedly free to supercharge (About 30 minutes for 50% charge vs. hours) your Tesla at one of these stations, but if electric cars take off, then I'm sure there will be more. And probably start charging for it too.

But let's do some math (with some assumptions to prevent slide-rule computations). For the current base price of their top model, I could use the approx $28,000 extra over a ZL1 convertible base price to buy about 7000 gallons of $4 premium gas, and at 14 mpg avg for the ZL1, it would START to make financial sense at 98,000 miles on the ZL1 before you plugged your Tesla in for the first time. And say 15 minutes to refuel your ZL1 at 13 gallons per stop, that's about 200 miles. So you'd have to refuel 490 times in that 98,000 miles. About 122 hours to refuel.

At approximately 30 minutes per stop, and let's say 320 miles per charge at 100%, we'll simply assume you could do a 200 mile charge for 50% to keep it even. That's 245 hours to recharge the Tesla for that same distance. So you've spent 5 more DAYS at a fuel stop in about 100,000 miles. If you're a tree-hugger or have deep pockets and won't miss the money, then I guess it makes sense. To me, it doesn't. At least not in 2013.

At least they're trying to attempt an infrastructure to make electric cars viable for road trips. But I keep counting 4 doors and that makes the car look like azz. Still better looking than the Volt, though.
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
My question is why is there a mustang owner on here?!?!
I have been a Chevy fan for a long time and had a Hugger Orange SS with white leather interior that I traded in for the 'stang. I got bored with the Camaro.
I like, I mean, love all muscle cars. I'm not one of those that talk trash about any of the American muscle. I am a muscle car fan.
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
PHXLT1
 
PHXLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: black Z28
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: el mirage
Posts: 719
Its still new tech so if a company can come up with something to mod it then they will. Just like with call phones and other devices they will MAKE you have to buy it. All a company hny has to do is stop makeing spare parts and eventually you will have to go electric. Think about it. My old cell phone worked great! Made calls just find and made great vids and I could text anyone. BUT they stopped making the batteries for it and I had to get an updated cell (which cost more too). That's what I think will be happening with the car industry. I hope I'm wrong though.
__________________
I'm Fernando
94 Z28
Could be the end of the world.
I'd still be laid here on my own..........wasting my life away.
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
DarkneSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
If you live in Cali and a couple of other places, there may be a chance you can get to one of Tesla's charging stations. Obviously for now, it's supposedly free to supercharge (About 30 minutes for 50% charge vs. hours) your Tesla at one of these stations, but if electric cars take off, then I'm sure there will be more. And probably start charging for it too.

But let's do some math (with some assumptions to prevent slide-rule computations). For the current base price of their top model, I could use the approx $28,000 extra over a ZL1 convertible base price to buy about 7000 gallons of $4 premium gas, and at 14 mpg avg for the ZL1, it would START to make financial sense at 98,000 miles on the ZL1 before you plugged your Tesla in for the first time. And say 15 minutes to refuel your ZL1 at 13 gallons per stop, that's about 200 miles. So you'd have to refuel 490 times in that 98,000 miles. About 122 hours to refuel.

At approximately 30 minutes per stop, and let's say 320 miles per charge at 100%, we'll simply assume you could do a 200 mile charge for 50% to keep it even. That's 245 hours to recharge the Tesla for that same distance. So you've spent 5 more DAYS at a fuel stop in about 100,000 miles. If you're a tree-hugger or have deep pockets and won't miss the money, then I guess it makes sense. To me, it doesn't. At least not in 2013.

At least they're trying to attempt an infrastructure to make electric cars viable for road trips. But I keep counting 4 doors and that makes the car look like azz. Still better looking than the Volt, though.
When you quick charge, you shorten the length of the battery, which is already short...
Not to mention that you're still damaging the environment because the electricity that powers the car comes from some kind of power plant.
The only way to make electric cars work is to first make the batteries hold a charge longer. Then the price of batteries needs to be significantly reduced. Then all electric auto companies need to work together to develop universal battery designs. Once a design is agreed upon they should be produced in mass. The design needs to make the batteries easy and safe to remove, it should take less than a minute to remove it, as long as you have the keys to the car.
Then when one needs to refuel, they will go to their local gas station which will have a ton of fully charged batteries sitting at the ready. You simply pull up, pay a small fee, and the attendant swaps out your dead battery for a fully charged one. The station will then queue up that dead battery and eventually someone else will get it.
To make it truly environmentally clean, the stations should be equipped with solar technology to charge the dead batteries.
Don't worry though, for this to work, solar and battery technology needs to be reduced in price massively. I'd say it probably won't be feasible for another 25-50 years. Even then, gas engines will still be around.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
87GNX

 
87GNX's Avatar
 
Drives: Alot
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Norcalifas
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I have been a Chevy fan for a long time and had a Hugger Orange SS with white leather interior that I traded in for the 'stang. I got bored with the Camaro.
I like, I mean, love all muscle cars. I'm not one of those that talk trash about any of the American muscle. I am a muscle car fan.
Nice Roush. I like the new stangs a lot. Who doesn't? Even Camaro guys do, for the most part.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Nice Roush. I like the new stangs a lot. Who doesn't? Even Camaro guys do, for the most part.
HA HA!! Thank you. I traded in my SS for the Roush. Awesome car. It's a blast and a beast to drive. Very comfy as well. I was interested in a GN as well, but I wanted a warranty.
My buddy has a great '87 GN that he drags once in a while. I forget what he traps, but the car is pretty nasty.
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I hate that car with a passion.
I feel that way about the Prius. Never hated a car so much. It reduces something I love to a boring appliance. At least the Tesla has enthusiast appeal.
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
WHAMMO

 
WHAMMO's Avatar
 
Drives: LS2 Fbody
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,040
Sorry OP, the look of the Tesla is cool, but nothing like the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
When you quick charge, you shorten the length of the battery, which is already short...
Not to mention that you're still damaging the environment because the electricity that powers the car comes from some kind of power plant.
The only way to make electric cars work is to first make the batteries hold a charge longer. Then the price of batteries needs to be significantly reduced. Then all electric auto companies need to work together to develop universal battery designs. Once a design is agreed upon they should be produced in mass. The design needs to make the batteries easy and safe to remove, it should take less than a minute to remove it, as long as you have the keys to the car.
Then when one needs to refuel, they will go to their local gas station which will have a ton of fully charged batteries sitting at the ready. You simply pull up, pay a small fee, and the attendant swaps out your dead battery for a fully charged one. The station will then queue up that dead battery and eventually someone else will get it.
To make it truly environmentally clean, the stations should be equipped with solar technology to charge the dead batteries.
Don't worry though, for this to work, solar and battery technology needs to be reduced in price massively. I'd say it probably won't be feasible for another 25-50 years. Even then, gas engines will still be around.
Fossile fuels like gas is one of the best way to harm the environnement. If your electricity comes from a nuclear power plant, more than 100 in the USA, there is zero pollution or so. Electric cars are the future. It sucks(cool for the planet, but sucks for muscle car guys). I will have a V8 and burn gas as long as I can for the rest of my life.. american V8 sound/performance/price> anything else LOL
__________________
4th Gen SS/LS2 SB/LS3 heads/N20
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
kevint
 
Drives: 2013 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXLT1 View Post
Its still new tech so if a company can come up with something to mod it then they will. Just like with call phones and other devices they will MAKE you have to buy it. All a company hny has to do is stop makeing spare parts and eventually you will have to go electric. Think about it. My old cell phone worked great! Made calls just find and made great vids and I could text anyone. BUT they stopped making the batteries for it and I had to get an updated cell (which cost more too). That's what I think will be happening with the car industry. I hope I'm wrong though.
In a country as large and sometimes backwards as the USandA, this is the only way to move technology forward.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Jeff_SS
Cam only
 
Jeff_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,094
__________________
2013 AGM 2SS/RS M6. Hurst, NPP exhaust, nav | CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers & high-flow cats, CAI intake | Pfadt 1.25" springs | Tuned by Ryne @ CMS 483rwhp 433rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Good video. The Tesla I was in pulled hard of the line but then plateaued quickly whereas a good old V8 is just starting to come on strong.
__________________


Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 04-30-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo fix
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
So today we went and picked up my buddy's Gen 5 Camaro SS from storage. A beautiful yellow and black car that certainly turns heads. On the way back into the city we stiffed by his brothers and took his new Tesla S for a spin.

Now I want one. And a lithe track day car for weekends. The storage space, the fit the finish, even the look of the Tesla blew away the Camaro (and my Mustang obviously) but what impressed me was the speed. With 100% of torque available from zero the time to 60 felt way above it's rated 4.2 seconds. The car, while heavy is planted thanks to a lower centre of gravity so cornering felt terrific. The underpan is smooth and aerodynamic and the car lowers at speed. OK, it's expensive, but is it? It would replace both my Boss and my Dodge Journey easily. And operating costs seen low. Have to say, I was very impressed. Can't imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. And I could help but feel the cars we know and love are becoming dinosaurs. I do, however see cars like the Vette still having relevance.
Yea, Tesla's have a stupid amount of low end torque.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
GoEagles88
 
GoEagles88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 32
Send a message via AIM to GoEagles88
Teslas are really nice cars. I have a friend who has the roadster S. Apples to apples though my friend...a Tesla S is over $100K and has limited availability. My friend bought his roadster used for $67K. That's a lot of cheese.
__________________
2012 RS 2LT Convertible in Inferno Orange
It's my wife's car. I just get to keep it clean.
GoEagles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
THEKING
 
Drives: 2011 CAMARO SS AUDI S5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Sorry OP, the look of the Tesla is cool, but nothing like the Camaro.



Fossile fuels like gas is one of the best way to harm the environnement. If your electricity comes from a nuclear power plant, more than 100 in the USA, there is zero pollution or so. Electric cars are the future. It sucks(cool for the planet, but sucks for muscle car guys). I will have a V8 and burn gas as long as I can for the rest of my life.. american V8 sound/performance/price> anything else LOL
You're comparing a 4 door to a sports car on looks? The Tesla S is a good start to what's coming down the road. Kudos to a car that's electric and faster than a sports car.
THEKING is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.