Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #26
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal

Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
Thats quite a mix. Depends what the criteria is I guess.
Of course the best mix of everything is the Camaro.

No bias of course

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #27
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
In all honesty, I think the Genesis Coupe should get it. It represents such a giant leap for Hyundai, and a very good showing for their first performance car. Even if it isn't necessarily the best car, it is no doubt significant.
Hyudnai GENESIS? You're fired.
Good for Hyundai, I'm glad they were finally able to pull together a decent car, but up against the RETURN OF A LEGACY??? And an innovative comeback at that. It's Camaro hands down. Where's the Genesis5 forum at? I just don't know...

PS: You realize you're the first post right? Besides, getting in and out of a "Genesis" every day, I'd never be able to clear my head of "In the air tonight"... I can hear it callin. for all my life... o lord... DAMN!!!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #28
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
i'd say either the camaro, the new fusion hybrid, or the genesis.

apparently the fusion hybrid is pretty darn good, and the genesis is a heck of a car for a hyundai.
but of course i'm going to proclaim that the camaro deserves to win. 300hp V6 with 29mpg? that's car of the year quality right there.

on a side note, i hate the new speed3's. it looks like mazda was sleeping around and got pregnant with subaru. the ginormous intake ruins it for me, and the general styling.
moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #29
Seawolf

Drives: Formerly '11 2SSRS CGM/Grey Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post

apparently the fusion hybrid is pretty darn good, and the genesis is a heck of a car for a hyundai.
but of course i'm going to proclaim that the camaro deserves to win. 300hp V6 with 29mpg? that's car of the year quality right there.

on a side note, i hate the new speed3's. it looks like mazda was sleeping around and got pregnant with subaru. the ginormous intake ruins it for me, and the general styling.

They definately screwed up that Mazda. I don't even care for Mazdas, but even I'll say that poor speed3 doesn't deserve to be that ugly.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #30
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
While I am just very happy the Camaro got nominated, I would love to see it win. However a win for any GM car would be great too.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #31
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

It's happy!!

Reminds me of:

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:

bwwwaaaahahahaha give that one up for adoption!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #33
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'll agree with the rest of you that the Camaro is a better car than the Hyundai, but the Genesis coupe is more significant, and that is the point of this award. GM building a competent, good looking performance car is nothing new. Except for 2002-2008, they had in fact two competent, good looking performance cars in Chevrolet alone. The Camaro is good but lets be honest, it doesn't really change anything. It simply continues the quality improvements that made waves in the past few years, the engines and platform have been seen and praised before. Hyundai won last year with the Genesis sedan because it was their first shot at a luxury sedan and they did a very good job at it. The Genesis coupe is their first performance car and they also did a very good job at it. So why shouldn't that be just as a significant accomplishment?

You know, I got flack here for saying the Hyundai should win this award because you don't post that on a Camaro forum. Well, take a look at the section of this thread where about 5 people in a row simply say "Camaro should win". Now imagine the whole thread being everyone simply agreeing with that statement while bringing nothing new to the table. How sinfully dull would that be!? This should be a discussion. Tell my why the Hyundai is not significant. Don't just say Camaro simply because this is a Camaro site. Yes obviously we're all Camaro fans here, but lets hear some good reasons. Return of a legend is certainly a good one that I saw. What else?

And finally, yes, it is such a shame was Mazda did with the new 3. The interior is very much improved, but that hideous exterior (aerodynamic though it may be) and carryover mechanicals for the Mazdaspeed3 put it at the bottom of this list for me, and I love Mazda.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #34
Seawolf

You'll hear no arguement from me. The Genesis Coup probably deserves to be up there just as much as the Camaro. It's a real accomplishment from Hyundai. Pictures don't do the Genesis Coup justice. I saw one at an Auto Show in April (a yellow one), and I must say, I nearly got ran out of the place for forming a pool of drool on it's hood. I think the front of this car in person is gorgeous. My only complaint about the car is the interior room. It's a small car and as such has a small interior. It's nothing I couldn't get used to, but honestly, if I wasn't buying the Camaro I'd go for the 370z or a nice used 'vette. The Genesis Coup would be a close fourth though.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #35
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
As much as I love the Camaro...I doubt it will win.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #36
Seawolf

Quote:
Don't just say Camaro simply because this is a Camaro site. Yes obviously we're all Camaro fans here, but lets hear some good reasons. Return of a legend is certainly a good one that I saw. What else?
I think another good arguement for the Camaro is that extra large/long body panel that took them forever to get right. I'm sorry if I'm not being specific enough on the panel, but I'm not mechanically savvy. Anyway, if I understand correctly, no other manufacturure has been able to do one as large as the Camaro's. It's the panel that extends from the rear-side of the car all the way up to the A-pillar I think. Anyway, that's a pretty cool manufacturing accomplishment. It gives the Camaro a more "seamless" look.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #37
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Wait, so what won last year, the coupe or the sedan? OP said coupe... You made good points about the coupe though. The only thing I don't really like on it is the interior, it just doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Maybe that won't even matter for this award though
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #38
ssrsheaven

Drives: 92 firebird,2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
While I am just very happy the Camaro got nominated, I would love to see it win. However a win for any GM car would be great too.
I would love to have if it ever gets here.
ssrsheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #39
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Wait, so what won last year, the coupe or the sedan? OP said coupe... You made good points about the coupe though. The only thing I don't really like on it is the interior, it just doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Maybe that won't even matter for this award though
Sedan won last year, coupe is nominated this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
You'll hear no arguement from me. The Genesis Coup probably deserves to be up there just as much as the Camaro. It's a real accomplishment from Hyundai. Pictures don't do the Genesis Coup justice.
I actually feel the opposite. I think it looks great in pictures, but in person it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #40
Seawolf

Quote:
I actually feel the opposite. I think it looks great in pictures, but in person it doesn't do a whole lot for me.
LOL

To each his own I suppose. The one I saw was yellow. That car really "pops" in yellow. In fact, and I know I'll catch some flack for this, but the G. Coup actually looks really good in yellow where as I think the Camaro just looks overly gaudy in yellow. Okay, let me have it Bumblebee-philes.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #41
MadeInAmerica19

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ABM w/ whites
E-class, Camaro, Cts, Gt-500. I hate putting one foreign car in there. But that E-class is noce... But my vote would be the camaro!

First Car: Dodge Charger Daytona
Second Car: ABM Camaro 1SS w/ custom white seats
MadeInAmerica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #42
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Why would anyone want the Hyundai Genesis Coupe to win 2 years in a row. Does anyone really think the Camaro wouldn't deserve it's turn considering how it was built so close to it's concept and how many after market parts there already are. The Camaro is going to hit it HUGE! It would hit it gigantic if gas prices didn't become so inflated. I think it's the prime contender for the car of the year. It's completely brand new. 370Z is not a whole lot different than it's already been around the block cousin 350Z. The Camaro is a remarkable movement towards new styling!
Anyway, what the heck is up with that big smile on that Mazda? I think the designers were watching too much Herbie the Love Bug and Lightning McQueen in Cars while they came up with that idea! Nice smiley grill their. Could always paint that tongue red for customization I guess. Sheesh.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #43
Chip

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS '96 riv
i vote Camaro... but i am biased.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #44
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Why would anyone want the Hyundai Genesis Coupe to win 2 years in a row.
Sedan won last year. And unlike say the BMW 3 series sedan and coupe, the Genesis sedan and coupe have very little in common. The sedan is pure luxury, little performance; the coupe is the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Anyway, what the heck is up with that big smile on that Mazda? I think the designers were watching too much Herbie the Love Bug and Lightning McQueen in Cars while they came up with that idea! Nice smiley grill their. Could always paint that tongue red for customization I guess. Sheesh.
Supposedly the new front end is more aerodynamic, but the possibility you suggest is just as good. Mazda rarely places a foot wrong, but they sure did this time. Honda must be loving them for making their styling look reasonable.

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #45
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica19 View Post
E-class, Camaro, Cts, Gt-500. I hate putting one foreign car in there. But that E-class is noce... But my vote would be the camaro!
Given your screen name you hate putting a foreign car in there because it is not American made right? So what about the Canadian built, Korean styled, Australian engineered Camaro?

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #46
Rob Vega

Drives: 94 SunBird w/350Camaro engine
Quote:
In all honesty, I think the Genesis Coupe should get it. It represents such a giant leap for Hyundai, and a very good showing for their first performance car. Even if it isn't necessarily the best car, it is no doubt significant.
well the genesis coupe is pretty much the tiburon just spit shined and renamed and as for a "first" (wanna be) performance car they have tried for years and failed. but as a fan of the CAMARO it gets my vote and i wont be surprised if it goes to some other (GAY SPACESHIP) of a hybrid known as the prius
Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #47
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Given your screen name you hate putting a foreign car in there because it is not American made right? So what about the Canadian built, Korean styled, Australian engineered Camaro?
Like anything else, we can agree to disagree, but given that it is called the "North American Car of the Year Award" it would be nice to see the 2010 Camaro as the front runner.

The Camaro is an American Icon. (North America) It is Canadian built (still North America). It was mostly designed Sangyup Lee, employed by GM Design (North America) and Holden has been a subsidiary of GM (North America) since 1931.

If you pick another car from the "NA Car of Year" list to win, so be it, but then why buy the Camaro?

Just another point of view. Enjoy.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #48
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
I think the Camaro will win or lose based on it's role in GM's comeback. Everyone has been saying for the last year that it will be the car that saves General Motors. If that comes to fruition, it'll win by a well-deserved landslide.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #49
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
If you pick another car from the "NA Car of Year" list to win, so be it, but then why buy the Camaro?
As I said earlier (clearly no one bothers to read anything I actually say before screaming "OMFGWTFBBQ!?!? Genesis boooo!!!!!") while I believe the Camaro is the superior car in many respects, it is my understanding that this award is as much about significance as it is superiority. A legitimate performance car from Korea is significant because it is a first. Never happened before. Tons of legitimate performance cars have come from America. That said, I am getting my Camaro (convertible) for very specific reasons. It will be a weekend/summer/day-trip cruiser, and as such comfort, power, decent performance, but most of all jaw-dropping, knee-weakening good distinct looks are of prime importance, and the Camaro delivers in those areas like no other car. Now if it were my daily driver, where efficiency, nimbleness, handling, easy of maneuverability and parking, visibility and practicality were more important than looks, the Hyundai would definitely be considered. Different tools for different jobs. That is why I will get a Camaro but think the Genesis should win the award.

By the way, the North American Car of the Year award isn't and has never been about where a car is made. It is simply for cars sold in North America voted on by judges who are from North America.

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #50
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Vega View Post
well the genesis coupe is pretty much the tiburon just spit shined and renamed and as for a "first" (wanna be) performance car they have tried for years and failed. but as a fan of the CAMARO it gets my vote and i wont be surprised if it goes to some other (GAY SPACESHIP) of a hybrid known as the prius
Do you even know what the Genesis coupe is? Or the Tiburon? Other than both are made by Hyundai and are coupes? While the Tiburon is FWD, the Genesis is RWD and on a completely different platform. That is exactly like saying the Camaro is just a spit shined and renamed Monte Carlo coupe. Think about it. And "wanna-be performance car"? Well, you might be interested to know the V6 Genesis Coupe outperforms the V6 Camaro, so that must make the V6 Camaro a "wanna be performance car" too. Finally, Hyundai has not "tried and failed" for years to get a performance car right. The Genesis coupe was their first real attempt, and they succeeded delightfully.

Just a dream away