Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Drives: 2013 Red Crystal Tintcoat ZL1
What's with this hill assist mischief?

Works just fine for me. Ran my ZL1 all over Lake Geneva yesterday with my club and there were plenty of stop signs on top of some steep hills, I have no problems to report.

You guys still struggling with the HA?
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
No. I learned to drive a stick in 1987. I wouldn't need Hill Assist on the Alps, and if I did, I'd use the parking brake. Hill Assist is a solution looking for a problem. The car's already got a parking brake. What's the problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
No. I learned to drive a stick in 1987. I wouldn't need Hill Assist on the Alps, and if I did, I'd use the parking brake. Hill Assist is a solution looking for a problem. The car's already got a parking brake. What's the problem.
I don't even feel it, I'm still using my pedals like I always have but I guess a lot of guys here hate it.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
hawk02
Convertible Three-peat

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
I don't even feel it, I'm still using my pedals like I always have but I guess a lot of guys here hate it.
Count me as one those that absolutely hates it. Nine times out of ten when i stall the car it's because of the hill assist (the other time is when i forget to put it in first gear). There's something wrong when a supposed feature makes the car harder to drive. I'm just glad where I live is relatively flat.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Don't blame ya Hawk!

Give this a try...cruise up to your next stop on a slope and hold the car there using only the clutch pedal. The sweet spot is right in the friction zone where the clutch disengages and engages, hold the clutch right threre using no brake.

It's called Slipping the Clutch and drivers use it to move forward very slowly without giving it gas or to hold their car up on a hill at a dead stop. I don't think the HA kicks in if you're not using the brake.

There is one drawback to doing this however, traffic coming up behind you won't think you stopped because your brake lights are not on so keep a sharp eye on your 6.

Try it though see if it works.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
Burnt some life out of my clutch last week backing into my driveway. SUCKS! I was not paying attention and it would not release.... sonofabeachinhillstartcrap!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Quote:
Don't blame ya Hawk!

Give this a try...cruise up to your next stop on a slope and hold the car there using only the clutch pedal. The sweet spot is right in the friction zone where the clutch disengages and engages, hold the clutch right threre using no brake.

It's called Slipping the Clutch and drivers use it to move forward very slowly without giving it gas or to hold their car up on a hill at a dead stop. I don't think the HA kicks in if you're not using the brake.

There is one drawback to doing this however, traffic coming up behind you won't think you stopped because your brake lights are not on so keep a sharp eye on your 6.

So do you enjoy replacing clutches? Sorry. That was a little rude. But I've just seen someone doing this at a red light today and I was crying for the clutch which was pouring smoke. This put so much undue wear on the clutch.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au201 View Post
So do you enjoy replacing clutches? Sorry. That was a little rude. But I've just seen someone doing this at a red light today and I was crying for the clutch which was pouring smoke. This put so much undue wear on the clutch.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
I've never ruined a clutch doing that. You're not at any stop signs long enough to destroy the clutch anyway.

For red lights I just sit in neutral until it turns green then take off like normal.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
Jenner

Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
I don't understand why people dislike it either. I love it because at work I park on a hill my coworkers always park their bikes right behind my car. They don't know about the hill assist and think I'm a boss with stick shift
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I think hill assist is ridiculous. Smitty's car is a 6spd and it is very difficult to get the car on ramps with the hill assist. I put the parking brake on one click to disable that feature. This feature is an unnecessary "crutch" IMO.
#917 A6. 10.52@131.6 1.55 60' (608/620) 2:13 VIR full. ADM race CAI, ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M/T 305/35-18 drag radials & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Toyo Proxes R888 285/35-20, Hawk DTC 70/60, 8.66" ring (508/540). Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
And it's 2013. Thinking like yours would have us still playing Atari. Don't be afraid of being open minded.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I think hill assist is ridiculous. Smitty's car is a 6spd and it is very difficult to get the car on ramps with the hill assist. I put the parking brake on one click to disable that feature. This feature is an unnecessary "crutch" IMO.
Makes me wonder if HA can be more temperamental in some Camaro's while being easy and unnoticeable in others.

Of course now that I did this thread I've probably jinxed myself. I'm doomed!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Makes me wonder if HA can be more temperamental in some Camaro's while being easy and unnoticeable in others.

Of course now that I did this thread I've probably jinxed myself. I'm doomed!
That and some people will always find something to bitch about. Seems no matter what a manufacture does or doesn't do, there will always be those that take issue with something. Kinda like the skip shift, a lot of folks bitch about it, I've never had an issue with it kicking in.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
on my dart it just worked from day one perfect. On my Zl1 I just had to learn to give it more power than I normally wouldhave to overcome it.

Now that I am used to it I don't notice it at all. I still don't understand the need for. It is an uneeded feature. I think it is worse on some cars than others. like I said on my 1.4L pile of crap dart with 160hp the hill assist works perfect it just helps. On this car brand new you have to give way more power than you would have normally to take off.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
Never used it before this car but after you learn to use it, it works great. You just have to wait for it! Save your clutch for later.

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
I don't have an issue with the Hill Start Assist per se - other than the fact it shouldn't even be required.

I'm from England, and over there performing a correct Hill Start maneuver using the handbrake (Parking Brake) is part of the driving test - so when you have grown up with that and now are forced to use HSA it's just annoying/different - if I could disable that function I would.

In other words, if you can drive a Manual properly HSA is just something unnessary that you have to work around and has only been put there to accommodate people who can't drive a manual properly.

Quote:

That is exactly how NOT to perform a Hill start - you would fail your driving test in England if you tried that - and yes I know we're not in England, but I'm just making a point that it is bad advice.

Will it work - Yes.

Will it destroy your clutch over time - Absolutely.

Last edited by Modern07; 10-08-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Fast92RS

Drives: 2013 Zl1
when I first got my zl1. I hated the hsa , but since Ive had it has not been a problem. I did buy the sensor to disable it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. As well as the skip shift. Its only happened once for me so I may not even put that harness in.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
it actually hurts more then it helps. I hate it. but I will install the automatic yaw control module under console to solve it. it will do away with ha. if you cant drive stick without rolling back you should buy an automatic.
Crystal Red Tint Coat/ Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
Road Trip To Buffalo complete shipment from MO has arrived
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
That is exactly how NOT to perform a Hill start - you would fail your driving test in England if you tried that - and yes I know we're not in England, but I'm just making a point that it is bad advice.

Will it work - Yes.

Will it destroy your clutch over time - Absolutely.
Not telling the guy how to do a hill start, I think people who are struggling with the HA are not finding the friction zone. A good way to do that is to find an incline and try to keep your car still with just the clutch. Once they're real familiar with where the clutch engages and disengages a hill start will be easy and they won't notice the HA at all.

It's a quick and easy way to build muscle memory.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
cvbfireman

Drives: M6
I just noticed this yesterday, def would prefer without it... Now that I'm noticing it I feel like I'm starting out shitty on hills
cvbfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
snackbar64

Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Hill assist is a last effort to keep the manual transmission alive. One of the worst features to me in a manual transmission vehicle is its proneness to roll backwards in neutral. That would be particularly welcome feature to someone who has never driven a stick.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
silverds
2013 ZL1 #844

Drives: 2013 CAMARO ZL1 #844
Quote:
Not telling the guy how to do a hill start, I think people who are struggling with the HA are not finding the friction zone. A good way to do that is to find an incline and try to keep your car still with just the clutch. Once they're real familiar with where the clutch engages and disengages a hill start will be easy and they won't notice the HA at all.

It's a quick and easy way to build muscle memory.
Imagine that your car's electronics decided that the only safe speed to make a turn was 7MPH. So everytime you turned the wheel, your car would slow to 7MPH. This would reasonably annoy the crap out of you. Then you came here to discuss the 7mph turning limitation, and someone assumed you didn't know how to properly modulate the gas peddle while turning the wheel, and then gave you ridiculous advice on how to accomplish, a proper turn.

How would you respond?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Imagine that your car's electronics decided that the only safe speed to make a turn was 7MPH. So everytime you turned the wheel, your car would slow to 7MPH. This would reasonably annoy the crap out of you. Then you came here to discuss the 7mph turning limitation, and someone assumed you didn't know how to properly modulate the gas peddle while turning the wheel, and then gave you ridiculous advice on how to accomplish, a proper turn.

How would you respond?
What's a peddle?
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
silverds
2013 ZL1 #844

Drives: 2013 CAMARO ZL1 #844
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
What's a peddle?
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Damn ....

I'm sorry Officer. I mispelled "P E D A L"

MY

Letts pray the shoo nevr fines its elf on the othr fut.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst DME
it did not bother me that much at 1st, until it activated when I did not notice the message. I've both stalled the car as well as done a burnout while trying to pull out on a slight incline. If it only worked as it is described in the manual where it would release the brake as soon as the gas pedal is depressed; but it doesn't. once it is activated, only time will release it. I just wish there was a button to turn it off...