Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Walrus12kp

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ls
Black camaro cleaning

I have a black camaro and it looks dirty one day after i wash it. It has hard water spots and allways collects polllin and dirt. I wash and dry it in the shade but it still is dirty. Would waxing the car help, or polishing it, or different soap. I dont know alot anout car washing so please help
Walrus12kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
mikester0612
Camaro 5 Muscle

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Waxing would definetly help. It protects the paint. My cousin had the same issue. His camaro is black as well. We clay barred it and waxed it and he didn't even wash it for a month. Looked new each day he drove it. And he always parks outside.
TSW Donington 22" Matte Black / Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust / Kooks Signature Stepped Headers 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" / High Flow Cats / Custom Tune / CAI Cold Air Intake / BMR 1" Lowering Springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Heritage Grill / Havoc Rear Diffuser
mikester0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Black is a full time job. Nothing will keep your black Camaro from getting dirty but you can protect it and make it much easier to clean. Do some research on proper two bucket washes, clay barring, polishing, and then protecting your paint. You can stick to the basics or go for a full show car detail. It's up to you. Have fun and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have once you get a feel for the process.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Good luck with keeping the Black car clean Walrus
It's a full time job in itself.

Clay should be able to remove hard water spots.
Consider Opti Coat 2.0 or Cquartz finest after the paint's restored to perfection -> makes upkeep easier in the future..
Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus12kp View Post
I have a black camaro and it looks dirty one day after i wash it. It has hard water spots and allways collects polllin and dirt. I wash and dry it in the shade but it still is dirty. Would waxing the car help, or polishing it, or different soap. I dont know alot anout car washing so please help
What makes life MUCH easier is to start with a clean slate. That means, claying, polishing, sealing, and waxing. After those, it's just maintenance. After EVERY wash, I blow the car dry with a electric blower then go over the entire car with detail spray. Nothing will keep the waterspots and streaks from forming during the drying process, unless you dry your car with a towel and even then you can still get some streaking. That's where the detail spray comes in. You can get detail spray/waterless wash in bulk for a good price. Chemical Guys has their orange Hybrid V7 detail spray/sealant spray on sale for $39/gallon. A gallon of DS will last you a LONG TIME, depending on how often you wash your car. You'll also need DS for the claying process. Many on here like the optimum and Adams stuff as well so pick one you like and go with it. Detail spray really is the key to keeping any car looking good after a wash. Makes the car slicker than owl shit and going over the entire car helps you find the spots that you may have missed during the wash.

I'll also recommend watching the junkman detailing videos on youtube. Takes the worry out of doing just about any detailing to your car. He makes it look so easy, which is really is. It's just time consuming.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
KJ2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/M6
Detail spray helps a ton... spray it on each panel as you dry it. Pretty much takes care of the water spots. I use Adam's spray
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
My paint is CFM, so basically black... To keep it looking the best I can I've added a water filter to my hose for washing and immediately after drying I use Adams detail spray. If the car does not get to dirty, I use a California duster and waterless wash once a week, followed again by detail spray.
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Inline water filters do help with the spotting. A good foam after a through rinse right before a proper two bucket wash is important to minimize swirls. Also consider hi quality wash mitts and or pads. Drying a car with an electric leaf blower to those who haven't seems completely insane until you try it. The leaf blower will reduce your swirls drastically. You will still have to touch the car to dry it, find a high quality microfiber drying towel and a detail spray to touch up the areas with and you are on your way to a good maintenance routine.