Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

DJ Grilles
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
moabtdog

Drives: 2011 1LT Camaro covertible RS
tonneau cover?

I apologize if this is a repeated question. The search feature is presently not working for me.

I just bought a brand new 2011 1LT convertible (I am the first owner). The car did not come with a tonneau cover, should it have? It was not listed on the window sticker.

Any thoughts on things I should do to the car because it Sat so long besides changing fluids?

I will be doing some top down expressway driving, I suspect I need to get one to avoid flapping. I am not looking for problems. Please advise.

My car was a 5/11 build, any thoughts on the probability of mine being a problem child?

Thank you.
moabtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Tonneau cover was not included as part of the 1LT package. To get one, you would need to order it separately.

Other than checking fluid levels and if you have recently changed the oil, check tire pressure. You should be good to go!

Tonneau cover isn't a requirement, but I prefer to use it for highway use.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by moabtdog View Post
I apologize if this is a repeated question. The search feature is presently not working for me.

I just bought a brand new 2011 1LT convertible (I am the first owner). The car did not come with a tonneau cover, should it have? It was not listed on the window sticker.

Any thoughts on things I should do to the car because it Sat so long besides changing fluids?

I will be doing some top down expressway driving, I suspect I need to get one to avoid flapping. I am not looking for problems. Please advise.

My car was a 5/11 build, any thoughts on the probability of mine being a problem child?

Thank you.
You should go back and ask for it part of deal. Mine was built in 4/11. No problems so far. Dealer adjusted top and water bladder. When you put on cover make sure you put a blanket or towel on first to keep cover tight and top from rubbing. Then you are good to go. Top down ,,,what a feeling. )))

There is a top adjustment enhancement bulletin that GM is doing to the verts. Check out your VIN and go from there. PM me if you have any questions. ENJOY. !!!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
hawk02
Convertible Three-peat

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS ORANGE CRUSH SS View Post
...When you put on cover make sure you put a blanket or towel on first to keep cover tight and top from rubbing.
Yes, and if you make it a pink towel you'll see more hp and torque.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
moabtdog

Lol, thanks everyone for the advice.
I've been out at Arches National park taking pictures of the landscape, funny their is a shiny red camaro in each one.
I don't think my dealer will see it me way since I bought the car for over 8000 less than sticker. But I sure am gonna try.
As far as the pink towel, I'll have to get one. I do t have any on hand.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
hawk02
Convertible Three-peat

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 Convertible
If you do have to order a cover, at least you'll get the redesigned one with the bungee straps. The '11 tonneau cover had clips that snapped over the posts behind the rear seat. Quite a few '11 vert owners complained that the clips would come unhooked at freeway speeds and cause the cover to come off the car. I haven't seen too many complaints of that happening with bungee straps.

You'll also save some money by ordering it from a GM parts supplier like GM Partshouse or ShopChevyParts.com instead of through the Dealer.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
moabtdog

Thank you, I really appreciate the info.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2012 CTS-V coupe
105mph and mine stayed put.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
moabtdog

Does anyone know if the 22872149 tonneau cover (the newest one, replacing previous part #s) requires bolt installation? I suspect this is the bungee cord unit.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Does anyone know if the 22872149 tonneau cover (the newest one, replacing previous part #s) requires bolt installation? I suspect this is the bungee cord unit.

I am not sure about your part number but even the original designed tonneau cover required the posts to be mounted so that the cover can be secured

and those posts are important.If your convertible does not have them, you will need to install those.

Camaro Convertible Tonneau Installation

An optional one-piece, soft tonneau cover (Fig. 9) is available on the Camaro convertible that fits over the lowered folding top, providing a finished appearance. For the 2012 model year, the design of the tonneau cover has changed. It now includes two elastic cords to help secure the edges of the cover.

Fig. 9

Correct installation of the tonneau cover is critical to securing the cover. It's important to explain the installation procedure to owners.

TIP: During PDI, be sure to remove the two Christmas tree fasteners on the trim panel behind the rear seatback and install the two posts included with the tonneau cover. The front of the cover attaches to the posts. In the near future, the posts will be installed at the factory during vehicle assembly.

Tonneau Cover Installation

1. Unfold the cover and place it on the vehicle behind the rear seat.
2. Fold over the sides of the cover.
3. Attach the cord (Fig. 10, A) at the front edge of the cover to the post (Fig. 10, B) on the back seat rear panel on both sides.
The cover must be secured to each post. Previous models had two clips that attached to the posts.

Fig. 10

4. Insert the outer tab (Fig. 11, A) under the trim (Fig. 11, B) on both sides.

Fig. 11

5. Push the outer rim and center edge of the cover under the vehicle trim.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Bolt installation is required for clips or bungee cord versions.

The early '11 covers were of weaker design and had a lot more give to them. At speed, wind got under them and they buckled becoming unclipped and taking flight. They released a changed version mid-year that was stiffer material and generally had few if any issues of launching. Then in '12, the "loop" design came in.

Mine is the later '11 clip version, and I have had no issues with it blowing loose or coming unclipped, even at speeds up to 125-130 MPH.

The 1LT did not come with a cover standard, so trying to force the dealer into it after the fact is a bit "dicey". You can occasionally find the covers for sale here on the forums in the members' for sale section.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
On a 1LT, the cover was an option
On a SS, the cover was standard.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Here are ones that fit the 2011 Camaro 'vert.

I just checked one of the listings which states "fits 2011 Camaro" and it's apparently an OEM Chevy pre-owned but never used tonneau cover for a little over $100. Comes with the bolts and everything. Darned good price, if you ask me.

Here is what the GM Accessories Zone is offering (with part numbers). At $490+ for the tonneau and $100 just for the bag, the above-mentioned link provides a much better option, IMO. It is my guess that pt. # 22872149 is the bungee cord version. Pt. # 22804475 is definitely the one with the tabs.

Also available here.

I have the original tonneau that has the tabs that slide over the bolts rather than the new one with the cord that wraps around the bolts. I generally use my tonneau when I know I'm going to be driving 50 mph such as on the beltway. I've never had a problem with my tonneau at any speed.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 04-22-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
steveintulsa

Drives: 2010 rs/ss
skip the cover

Quote:

Thank you.
Although I have the tonneau cover I rarely use it and I definitely DON'T use it on the expressways. I'm more concerned about the cover flapping off at turnpike speed vs top flapping without the cover. Might be an issue of top rubbing/ware issue with the tonneau off but I don't hsve any top issues, I've got appx 10k miles and 2/3 are highway miles. My tonneau cover comes out for shows.
Attached Images

steveintulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
steveintulsa

Drives: 2010 rs/ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
If you do have to order a cover, at least you'll get the redesigned one with the bungee straps. The '11 tonneau cover had clips that snapped over the posts behind the rear seat. Quite a few '11 vert owners complained that the clips would come unhooked at freeway speeds and cause the cover to come off the car. I haven't seen too many complaints of that happening with bungee straps.

You'll also save some money by ordering it from a GM parts supplier like GM Partshouse or ShopChevyParts.com instead of through the Dealer.
AMEN!!!
steveintulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #16
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
I always used the tonneau, but I sold the cover this past Winter.
It was a good deal, because it had the loops and a 2012 IBM RS attached.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
I am fully convinced that not having a tonneau cover accelerated the wear on my top. The thing that bothers me is that GM (Chevy website) offers the tonneau cover as a $200 add-on, but to buy the part from a GM dealer it's anywhere from $425-500?

I am hoping the part cost will go down like it did on the diffuser..