Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old Today, 10:07 AM   #1
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rocker arms

I have a weird ticking coming from my LS3. I've ruled out exhaust as 3 different shops have looked at it and can't find any leaks. I'd like to pull my valve covers next to rule out a possibly bent pushrod (best case scenario... if it's not, it's probably a lifter or bent valve). If I remove the rocker arms, and don't turn the motor over at all once they've been removed, can I just retorque them in the same positions as I removed them without having to worry about further adjustment for zero lash/geometry/anything else?

Thanks
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
I have a weird ticking coming from my LS3. I've ruled out exhaust as 3 different shops have looked at it and can't find any leaks. I'd like to pull my valve covers next to rule out a possibly bent pushrod (best case scenario... if it's not, it's probably a lifter or bent valve). If I remove the rocker arms, and don't turn the motor over at all once they've been removed, can I just retorque them in the same positions as I removed them without having to worry about further adjustment for zero lash/geometry/anything else?

Thanks
Yeah, if you take the rocker arm off, just put it back on. Torque to spec, roll the engine over a couple times, check torque. Put a tiny bit of blue Loctite on the bolt if you want. The bolt has the same torque no matter what position the valve is in, so you can torque with the valve open, roll it over and it should still be torqued with the valve closed.

Don't kill yourself trying to put everything back in the exact same position, cause it all moves.

Post a vid of the noise too. Exhaust doesn't have to be a leak, it can just be rubbing on something.