Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
art_ss

Drives: 2015 white 1Le ss
underdrive pulley question??????

I would like to get a underdrive pulley for my car and don't know if it is worth it or it is not , because it looks like a cheap nice tune I read some info and said 9 whp that's not bad for $200, I would like to get some feedback , and would be great if you guys could tell me what too look for on underdrive pulleys. thank you.
art_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Dont waste your time and money unless you are doing a cam swap. 9whp is very high. More common is 2-3. It wont gain you any power, it only frees up some power. A crank pulley isnt a power hoarder.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Here's something to think about also. That 9rwhp is based on a 25% UDP, AND it assumes that you also have a power steering pump, which you don't.
That said, I have a powerbond 25% UDP on my 2015 1LE and so far no regrets. I would have to estimate that it only freed up, maybe 4rwhp. I installed it at the same time as my intake, throttle body, and throttle controller though, so I can't say how much it helped. It couldn't have hurt - like I said, it definitely frees up HP, and it lowers the rotating mass on the crank.
I will say this, don't make it your first mod. Go for the Vitesse throttle controller, ported throttle body, and or intake first, most definitely.
It will also require a special size belt. I used an Autozone 785K6

Last edited by Bodywerks; 04-18-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote