Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #26
strych9
Nice rear end!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
My dealer actually told me to do this. Mod friendly. They told me they would make sure all the numbers matched if I proceeded with a dyno tune and long tube headers for my car. The dealership stated they have done this on all the camaros in their performance department. If anything goes wrong with the car they will swap the computer with the stock one thats been untouched.
That dealer is committing fraud. Good luck with that.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #27
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
My dealer actually told me to do this. Mod friendly. They told me they would make sure all the numbers matched if I proceeded with a dyno tune and long tube headers for my car. The dealership stated they have done this on all the camaros in their performance department. If anything goes wrong with the car they will swap the computer with the stock one thats been untouched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
That dealer is committing fraud. Good luck with that.
I would be leery of doing it even if the dealer told you to and that they would help. If push came to shove I doubt they would admit involvement. Sometime you just have to pay to play.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,346
I've thought about a spare ECU/PCM whatever you call it.

But then there is OnStar...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
__________________
Firefighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #29
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I've thought about a spare ECU/PCM whatever you call it.

But then there is OnStar...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Doesn't work. They are all linked.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
edneyens
 
edneyens's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
This is the reason I have my T/A. I can understand GM not warranting any car that's been tuned. Just like Samsung wont warranty a laptop that's been opened. Or a phone that's been rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
That is an excellent comparison.
First statement in this thread you made that I disagree with Chase.

The warranty on laptops and cell phones do not have anything like the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, in effect.

Don't forget what you stated earlier: "If you get a tune and then have an engine or drive train problem you are most likely going to have a serious uphill battle. The thing to keep in mind is that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) still applies. They can not deny a warranty repair unless the issue in question is the direct result of the tune. If there is no link then they have to honor the warranty. If there is you are on the hook."

Many think and feel that GM is just out to screw them over if they do *any* mods and then have trouble, they are not, they will honor the warranty if you deal with them honestly.

You will find many instances where this is so, I am an example, my LS3 engine was replaced under warranty due to a faulty lifter destroying the block even though I had numerous drive train and suspension mods including a tune. GM concluded my actions did not cause the lifter failure, that it was a defective part and they replaced the engine under warranty.

Mods can and do sometimes cause problems, however if you have problems and it is not caused by your changes, odds are GM will cover it, being honest open and reasonable under such circumstances will help your odds drastically.
__________________
edneyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #31
AG1LE

 
AG1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,372
I have email communications from my Chevy dealership and the GM district manager stating that a speedo recal tune and 3.91 gear install from a local performance shop will not void my powertrain warranty.

I know that's not quite the same as a performance tune, but I know a lot of guys on here are saying that even a speedo recal tune will be treated the same way as a performance tune by GM = voided warranty.

Getting to this point with my dealership required some discussion, since they first told me that any modification would void the warranty. I don't think they even know how to recalibrate a speedometer. Once I got past the initial superficial "we know everything" barrier, they were very understanding and easy to work with. Anyway, I'm happy with the response I received and am much more comfortable now going forward with my 3.91 gear install.
AG1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
I have email communications from my Chevy dealership and the GM district manager stating that a speedo recal tune and 3.91 gear install from a local performance shop will not void my powertrain warranty.

I know that's not quite the same as a performance tune, but I know a lot of guys on here are saying that even a speedo recal tune will be treated the same way as a performance tune by GM = voided warranty.

Getting to this point with my dealership required some discussion, since they first told me that any modification would void the warranty. I don't think they even know how to recalibrate a speedometer. Once I got past the initial superficial "we know everything" barrier, they were very understanding and easy to work with. Anyway, I'm happy with the response I received and am much more comfortable now going forward with my 3.91 gear install.
Good info. That has been a big question for a lot of people. If you can, post the email.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #33
rozay
 
rozay's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Broward County, Florida
Posts: 339
Yes
__________________
FR 41zl1 20x10 wheels,Muffler Delete, UPR products Catch Can, Injen CAI,5% rear window tint 20% sides 35% windshield
rozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #34
Mcarltonjr
 
Mcarltonjr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I would be leery of doing it even if the dealer told you to and that they would help. If push came to shove I doubt they would admit involvement. Sometime you just have to pay to play.
Either way pay to play I will. The dealership said they would do it. Their call if I go that route and do the work through them. Will I? Probably not. Most likely them trying to earn business. I could careless what their motives or offers are. If they go that route it is up to them to make that fraud move not mine. Honestly I am not having them do the work. As you stated pay to play. I would rather have the work done right anyways. After what the dealership did to my car when it went in for warranty work I wouldnt let them touch it in the aftermarket world. The reason I commented is me just stating places will do it was all. Fraud is a correct termn though. I 100% agree
Mcarltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #35
Detleg
DNFT
 
Detleg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tobaccoville, NC
Posts: 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Detleg Send a message via Skype™ to Detleg
Ok let me play dumb
1.st I bought the car used in Oct of 13 with only 4000 miles on it, it was from a larger Dodge dealer.
I got an extended front to tail warranty by Zurich. ($1500)
now the MOD bug bit me and I want to do a Header and tune.
does that mean I can kiss goodbye the warranty ?
Detleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #36
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detleg View Post
Ok let me play dumb
1.st I bought the car used in Oct of 13 with only 4000 miles on it, it was from a larger Dodge dealer.
I got an extended front to tail warranty by Zurich. ($1500)
now the MOD bug bit me and I want to do a Header and tune.
does that mean I can kiss goodbye the warranty ?
You can cancel the remainder of your extended warranty and get a pro-rated refund.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #37
Dots331
 
Drives: Black and red zl585 and Red SS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 26
what is that?
Dots331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #38
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dots331 View Post
what is that?
What is what?
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #39
1KillerSS
 
1KillerSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012_1SS_LS3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cape Coral,fl/Toledo,OH
Posts: 368
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
there are a lot of variables here ....you cant just replace the PCM like you could in the old days...they are all dependent on each other and share and mirrior some of the same information in order to swap PCM's the dealer needs to do it OR.... someone with GM testing and diagnostic equipment which at this moment happens to beproprietary....at least for certain years anyway.....

the other poster said it best you can have warranty work done even though you have modded and tuned your car...it will depend on the circumstance and frankly who the dealership and GM rep are and what mood there in. and as he stated even major work such as engine and drivetrain failure

as for the claims from some that can "hide" or tune and return to stock without GM having the ability to tell....i would challenge them to take your PCM down to GM and say "show me" its a wild calaim and i would love to talk/email them regarding that issue..i am willing to bet that they will either disclaim that statement or find a way to say "what we mean is" ....something to the effect that "under certain circumstances they cant"

you get where i am going with the whole "return to stock and they wont know" thing

Great posting chase!
__________________
2012 1SS LS3..AIRAID CAI, VMAX TB, BBK Shorties, Hawk HPS pads and R1 premiere cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Hurst Short shifter, HPTuners
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #40
mynetdude
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 249
Nice thread; subbed too
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #41
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's exactly why I bought a ZL1 over modding an SS like everyone always likes to say.

I would rather have the factory power and maintain the warranty than to take a new car and be on the hook if something fails on a modded one.

If I had a ZL1, I would mod it and make it different and better/faster than a stock ZL1. But that's me. Modding my car is fun and its a hobby.

In addition, my Camaro SS only has bolt on mods and I've yet to be beat by a stock ZL1 in a drag race.

And the main and most important point - modding your car is fun and it makes it different from everyone else with the same car. That's why many of us mod our cars.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #42
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider
 
Cyber Gray's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Muscat
Posts: 1,976
Apex thanks for the information. The 1 million dollar question time for you :

Would a Viagra pill dissolved in gas ruin my car's warranty


Im waiting for a guy who will demand a dyno proven hp increase on this mod

and another guy who will claim that his Mustang was raped
__________________
Im not Gray any more !!
Cyber Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #43
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Apex thanks for the information. The 1 million dollar question time for you :

Would a Viagra pill dissolved in gas ruin my car's warranty


Im waiting for a guy who will demand a dyno proven hp increase on this mod

and another guy who will claim that his Mustang was raped
Your warranty should be fine and no extra horsepower but your dampers will go full stiff. Consult your mechanic if it lasts more than 4 hours.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #44
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider
 
Cyber Gray's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Muscat
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Your warranty should be fine and no extra horsepower but your dampers will go full stiff. Consult your mechanic if it lasts more than 4 hours.
I was hoping for one feet of torq
__________________
Im not Gray any more !!
Cyber Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #45
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
I was hoping for one feet of torq
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #46
Krajkerjac
 
Krajkerjac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Your warranty should be fine and no extra horsepower but your dampers will go full stiff. Consult your mechanic if it lasts more than 4 hours.
Now...that's funny stuff right there!
Krajkerjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #47
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krajkerjac View Post
Now...that's funny stuff right there!
Just trying to help.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #48
HartRod
 
Drives: 68C10 with a Camaro5 motor/tranny
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 21
Will tuning out the AFM void your warranty? That's the only problem I really have with the stock tune.
HartRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #49
JCunningham

 
JCunningham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Attica, NY
Posts: 1,751
yes to tune it out you have to rewrite the tune and they will see that if they look.
__________________
2012 2SS/RS M6 SIM, Painted Carbon Flash rally stripes, Elite CC, 3.91 gears, New Era ported TB, OTR, and Dyno Tune, Heritage Grill, Night Fury cam, 25%Fluidampr, Melling 296 Oil pump, Katech CR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2 HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunions. ARH 1 7/8" LT headers w/cats, TWM full Shifter, BMR sways, trailing arms, toe rods, delrin cradle bushings, BK039 rear control bushings, front bushings. Solo Mach-XL exhaust
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #50
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
Will tuning out the AFM void your warranty? That's the only problem I really have with the stock tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
yes to tune it out you have to rewrite the tune and they will see that if they look.
All they will see is that it has been tampered with and it is not in your service records. What was actually changed would not be relevant. If all you want to do is get rid of AFM just pick up a Range AFM Delete Module.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
tune, void warranty, warranty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.