Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Anyone get their car professionally detailed?

Does anyone have their car get professionally detailed versus cleaning it inside and out yourself? If so how much did they charge to have the work done? I had my Yukon detailed inside and out they did a fantastic job it almost look like new. A larger vehicle they charged me $250 but they claim they spent six hours with 2 people cleaning it inside and out.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
There is a local guy here in Milwaukee that my wife swears by. A lot guys where she works take their cars to him.

When I let her take the SS to work one day she pulled into his shop to show him the 2010. He was impressed.

For me it's more the therapy and for what I've spent on detailing supplies and tools, I probably could have only gotten the car done 2 or 3 times.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
An auto body shop by me charges $250 for an interior and exterior detail. I only know this because I went in to get an estimate on what it would cost me to wet sand some of the orange peel out out of the clear coat and I was told they just charge a full detail with out the interior.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Does anyone have their car get professionally detailed versus cleaning it inside and out yourself? If so how much did they charge to have the work done? I had my Yukon detailed inside and out they did a fantastic job it almost look like new. A larger vehicle they charged me $250 but they claim they spent six hours with 2 people cleaning it inside and out.

Russ
That's really cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
An auto body shop by me charges $250 for an interior and exterior detail. I only know this because I went in to get an estimate on what it would cost me to wet sand some of the orange peel out out of the clear coat and I was told they just charge a full detail with out the interior.
I'd be very, very cautious of that. That's way too cheap for proper wetsanding, which is a LOT of work and they are taking a lot of risk.

When you guys are comparing prices, be sure to note what it is you're actually getting. The term "detail" is very far from uniform. To some, a detail is just a wash and wax. To others, it's a very thorough cleaning. To still others (actual pros), it's paint correction on top of a thorough cleaning. So just because Joe Blow does his "details" for $80, doesn't mean you're getting a good deal. This stuff is very time intensive, and as such, we charge quite a bit.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That's really cheap

I'd be very, very cautious of that. That's way too cheap for proper wetsanding, which is a LOT of work and they are taking a lot of risk.
Totally agree. I have a friend that use to detail while he was in school. He charged $250 for a inside and out detailing with wax. That was just cleaning every nook and cranny. Anytime he started putting the pads to the paint, the cost went up. IMO, a good detailing includes correcting the paint/swirls. Anything other than that is just a good cleaning.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
silly103

Drives: Crossover
I just had my Black ZL1 convertible detailed in/out for $250.00. That included, claying, multi-step polishing and removal of swirl marks, sealant and a coat of Americana.

All Adam's products. Car looked great too.
silly103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly103 View Post
I just had my Black ZL1 convertible detailed in/out for $250.00. That included, claying, multi-step polishing and removal of swirl marks, sealant and a coat of Americana.

Did you leave it overnight?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly103 View Post

Sounds way to cheap
Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Sounds way to cheap
It also depends on where you live and how desperate the detailer is. I did a BMW recently for 225 and it was everything included. Some work is better than none.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Agree with Roshan. Wittenburg is just that, a tiny burg in central WI. My guess is if the local body shop is doing the work, he's taking on detail business too.

All depends on your comfort level, skill level and results level.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
That's really cheap

When you guys are comparing prices, be sure to note what it is you're actually getting. The term "detail" is very far from uniform. To some, a detail is just a wash and wax. To others, it's a very thorough cleaning. To still others (actual pros), it's paint correction on top of a thorough cleaning. So just because Joe Blow does his "details" for $80, doesn't mean you're getting a good deal. This stuff is very time intensive, and as such, we charge quite a bit.
Is wetsanding even required for orange peel? I thought with compounding or velvet pads you could buff it out pretty effectively unless it's very severe. Like Ferrari from the factory severe.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Is wetsanding even required for orange peel? I thought with compounding or velvet pads you could buff it out pretty effectively unless it's very severe. Like Ferrari from the factory severe.
Not with compounding. I think those velvet and denim pads with a rotary buffer can remove it. I'm not sure, that's not something I have experience with.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Sounds way to cheap
I think $250 sounds about right for inside and out and clay bar the car. That's 10 hours @ $25/hour. I don't think it would be a problem for 1 guy to get the car done in a day, especially since the car is pretty new and shouldn't be that full of crud.

Russ
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I think $250 sounds about right for inside and out and clay bar the car. That's 10 hours @ $25/hour. I don't think it would be a problem for 1 guy to get the car done in a day, especially since the car is pretty new and shouldn't be that full of crud.

Russ
Hmm I must be super slow then lol. There's no way I can do a full detail exterior and interior in a day. No way. There are different levels of acceptable. For $250 inside and out, you get a certain level, and that just might be enough for you. Only you can decide.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Hmm I must be super slow then lol. There's no way I can do a full detail exterior and interior in a day. No way. There are different levels of acceptable. For $250 inside and out, you get a certain level, and that just might be enough for you. Only you can decide.

I guess I could be wrong because I never clay barred a car but I didn't think it would take more than 3-4 hours. How long does it take?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I guess I could be wrong because I never clay barred a car but I didn't think it would take more than 3-4 hours. How long does it take?
You're right on the clay.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Have you seen pictures of this detailer's work? Many will have before and after shots, as well as the products they commonly use. This will let you know what kind of correction they get done on similar cars as well as if they are using fillers or actual paint correcting.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
Bamaguy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
10 hours for a complete exterior and interior? Completed a two and three step correction three weeks ago and that took 2 days. Interior only got a wipe down with some 303 protectant. That dude must work crazy fast.
Bamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

Agreed. my definition of a "full" detail is cleaning, decontaminating, polishing, shampooing, and protecting EVERY square inch of the car. You can't get it done in a day unless you short cut some area of the car as an individual. With a qualified team of professionals it could be done.