Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Fighting Static Cling

Does anyone have a solution to reducing static cling? My SS is black and it seems like as soon as I'm finished washing and drying my car it picks up small grass clippings and dust like a magnet. Just sitting in the driveway, even when there's no breeze it seems like the car just sucks dust and grass out of the air.

I'm due for another clay bar and polishing with my PC is there a finish wax that will make the car static neutral?
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Wipe your car down with a quality waterless wash or ONR as the last step of your detail and that will help with the static buildup.

Mods: Tinted Windows, Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, CAI Intake, Pfadt Lowering Springs, NLP Dovetail Spoiler, SLP Front Chin Splitter, SLP Retro SS Emblems Front and Rear, Plastidipped Tail Light Bezels, Powdercoated Brake Calipers, Shinier Paint Than You
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Unfortunately, any time you wax your car, you create static charge. A waxed car will look better than an identical non waxed car for a few hours and then the non-waxed car will look better. Crazy how that works.

However, cleaning a waxed car is much much easier so in the end it is always beneficial to wax

As Chase said, waterless washes and some detail sprays tend to reduce static charge

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Ohten
Hot Sauce

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tincoat SS/RS
And which ones reduce static charge?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
My car collects dust before I'm done detailing it!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
And which ones reduce static charge?
Almost all that I've used in my experience. Adam's, Ultima Waterless Wash (my personal favorite), Blackfire Midnight Sun Detailer, any quality waterless wash or detail spray should help.

I tried Meguiar's Last Touch and for whatever reason, didn't seem like it reduced dust accumulation like the others listed above. Most will reduce static charge, but not all

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote