Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 05-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz1LE View Post
Think im just going to paint it matte black in a little bit, I will try out the Adams stuff first though, also spoke with the Chemical Guys and they also will be sending me some stuff to test out. Im pretty picky about what I use on my cars and hate it when the car is dirty, this car gets washed more than some people take showers.
I tried Chemical Guys meticulous matte detailer today and wasn't too happy with it. Sprayed on a microfiber to apply then followed with a clean microfiber to buff and it was very "splotchy". I got it back to an even finish after a light scrub with water and another microfiber. I will say it seemed to remove dirt that normal washing didn't. I thought they sent the wash instead of detailer since they forgot to include the pumps so I double checked the label and it was their detailer. It was a cool day, low 60s, but sunny. Ill give it another try in the shade. I do have a bottle of Adams SVRT on standby but was hoping to keep more of a matte than satin finish.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
HighMtnSS

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE, 1 of 139
So far, I've just washed with Meguiars car wash/MF wash mitt and dried with a silicone drying blade and a dedicated MF towel, then I use a California Duster in between washes followed by a clean MF towel. Seems to work well...keeps the vinyl clean, lifts off finger prints without spots and it is keeping the OEM matte look.

It seems like Adams VRT is getting mixed reviews...I don't want a satin or glossy look.
HighMtnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
racerx1214

Drives: 2013 1LE
It really isn't a satin or glossy look. If you think about it, the hood does not match the spoiler. With SVRT on the hood and wiping it off, it matches the spoiler perfect.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
racerx1214

By the way, look what happened on the highway today. 780 miles. Awesome. I may try to cover it up for a while with some matte paint or something, but I'm going to have to end up getting it re-wrapped. But it's not too promising for the durability of the wrap.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
By the way, look what happened on the highway today. 780 miles. Awesome. I may try to cover it up for a while with some matte paint or something, but I'm going to have to end up getting it re-wrapped. But it's not too promising for the durability of the wrap.

sorry to see that happen. That has always been one of my fears with my stripes but of course it's more prone on the 1LE since that covers more surface area.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #31
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
I never liked the look of the wrap anyway, and reading about all the extra care it takes to keep it looking good just sounds like a real pain to me. I've asked the dealer to remove the wrap on delivery and replace it with stripes I purchased previously.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #32
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Just to be clear, this is the vrt you're talking about right?

Link
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #33
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
I've asked the dealer to remove the wrap on delivery and replace it with stripes I purchased previously.
You're not the first person to say that but I still think it's crazy. The black hood is one of the things that makes this car stand out among other Camaros. It makes it instantly recognizable as unique. I've been cleaning mine with water and a MF cloth with great results. Then again, I'm kind of OCD because I clean the car every night.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #34
JimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Just to be clear, this is the vrt you're talking about right?

Link
Yes.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #35
bluBlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post

I'm getting a clear bra installed today, when I set up the appt - the shop said they also have matte wrap that could be put over the vinyl. I'll have to ask about cost - sounds like a good idea but not sure it would be much cheaper than new vinyl.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #36
1LE-pilot

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I also use the silicon drying blade and touch up the little ones that got away with a dry cloth. No streaks, no spots
1LE-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Water and a towel works wonders honestly. Don't let it air dry, and keep it out of the sun when cleaning it.
Attached Images

FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #38
bluBlud

Does anyone know if vinyl is permeable? If I use something like Adams SVRT on a regular basis, can it seep through to the paint and if so is there potential to damage the paint after prolonged use? I used this for the first time since I got some stains that soap & water would not remove. I needed to buff a number off times across several hours to get an even finish. It seemed like I'd buff, then some would seep back to the surface. I'd buff, it would seep, and so on. Maybe I used to much, but I'd put a nickel to quarter size dot on the sponge and reload when I'd get dry streaks on the vinyl. Or, maybe this was just because it was the first application. I might eventually peel the vinyl and don't want any surprises if that's 3 years down the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
I'm @ like 7,100 miles on mine already and still looks great. Only a couple TINY nicks in it
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
Does anyone know if vinyl is permeable? If I use something like Adams SVRT on a regular basis, can it seep through to the paint and if so is there potential to damage the paint after prolonged use? I used this for the first time since I got some stains that soap & water would not remove. I needed to buff a number off times across several hours to get an even finish. It seemed like I'd buff, then some would seep back to the surface. I'd buff, it would seep, and so on. Maybe I used to much, but I'd put a nickel to quarter size dot on the sponge and reload when I'd get dry streaks on the vinyl. Or, maybe this was just because it was the first application. I might eventually peel the vinyl and don't want any surprises if that's 3 years down the road.
The vinyl guy who re-wrapped my hood told me it was semi-porous and that when you stop using a product for a while is when the damage to the vinyl will occur. He didn't say anything about the paint, but I would think that VRT wouldn't hurt the paint.
btw... I did NOT like the look of the car as much when he took the old vinyl off.. If I ever take mine off I would seriously consider either painting it or racing stripes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #41
racerx1214

VRT will not hurt paint.

It soaks into the vinyl, but not through the vinyl.

If it soaked through the vinyl to the paint, the wrap would have one hell of an adhesion problem, no?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #42
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Stupid question, but are the hoods painted the same color as the car underneath the vinyl?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #43
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I have yet to use my "big box of Adams products" I plan to detail the car this weekend. In the meantime I've been washing and drying immediately then using some Mequiars "Ultimate Quick Detailer" (if necessary) and some old Meguiars "Tech Protectant" that I had laying around. I spray it on a Micro Fiber Towel spread it all over let it sit for maybe 15 min then take another Micro Fiber Towel and buff it off. I'll do this maybe once a week. It looks fantastic.

I can't think of the car with any other look. If and when I change the hood it will stay satin black.
Firefighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #44
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red 1979 Z28, VR 2013 1SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Stupid question, but are the hoods painted the same color as the car underneath the vinyl?
Yes!

Proud 1LE Owner!

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote