Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Camaro.Dan

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Door Belt Molding Faded

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem... A while back I had my car detailed at a local shop (learned my lesson to never go there again) and got the guy to buff out the car. I noticed a while later that he had buffed out a portion of the rubber from the door belt molding (which is the rubber portion below the window). So long story short I went to the dealer and they said that it would be expensive because there is a lot of labor involved. They would have to remove the side mirror/door panel etc...

Is there any other way to fix this blemish on the rubber? It's so annoying when I'm driving and I see it starring right at me from the side mirror

If anyone has any advice on how to remove this I would really appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Adam's Super VRT is what I use.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Is that actual material that has been removed or is that just discoloration? Looks like he actually buffed a chunk out, which I wouldn't have even believed possible if not for pictures.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Camaro.Dan

I have Adams Super VRT and Mothers Back to Black and it just makes it shinier and a little less noticeable but it's definitely still there..

When you rub your fingers on the area it feels as if there is a slight indent but I'd like to say its a discoloration.. i think the guy used a porter cable and held it over that spot.

I think this is the replacement part but i'm not sure. The dealer i go to have inexperienced people that know little to nothing about how to disassemble a camaro.. rather not risk them making it worst.. lol

http://www.gm-auto-parts.com/seccat/...858/157/57858/

I guess I'm stuck with it... :(
Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

If you get the part, you can disassemble the door panel easily. It's no problem at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Camaro.Dan

Hmm, it's tempting lol

Are you certain it's just the door panel that needs to be removed to replace that belt molding? and not the side mirror etc?

I am weary when it comes to removing parts. Is there a step by step instruction out there?

I found this video on how to do it.. looks legit

Thanks for the help CamaroDreams07
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

No I'm not certain. I'm just going by what the dealership told you and ive done the door panels myself. Very easy.

Pop the panel off and see if you can tell how it's attached.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Is that actual material that has been removed or is that just discoloration? Looks like he actually buffed a chunk out, which I wouldn't have even believed possible if not for pictures.
I buffed a chunk of mine, then again it's because the pad ripped off and the rough velcro grazed the shit out of it. It's small though so I never bothered replacing it.

To the OP, you can replace those trims for a pretty cheap price and uninstalling the door panel and taking out the mirror isn't hard at all. For the door panel, it's a matter of 5 bolts and you pull it off and for the mirror, it's three bolts.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Camaro.Dan

Oh wow, so I'm not the only one out there.

If you guys were up here I'd pay you to do it for me lol I'm trying to find a how to video on exactly how to get to that trim piece but it's not that easy :S
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Have you tried some All Purpose Cleaner on a cloth? Clean the whole area, then use VRT on it when the whole piece is fresh. I've done that on black pieces I've accidentally nicked with the polisher. Mind you...I've never put an indent in the piece, but cleaning the whole thing good first with APC then treating with VRT may help.

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Camaro.Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
Have you tried some All Purpose Cleaner on a cloth? Clean the whole area, then use VRT on it when the whole piece is fresh. I've done that on black pieces I've accidentally nicked with the polisher. Mind you...I've never put an indent in the piece, but cleaning the whole thing good first with APC then treating with VRT may help.
Thanks for the advice dragon, I will clean it thoroughly this afternoon. I actually have Adams all purpose cleaner. I'll post some before and after pics hopefully tonight and show everyone. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I was thinking...if the detailer actually removed material from the moulding on your door, that area may be a different colour from the rest of the moulding. I hope this works for you though.

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Camaro.Dan

Thanks dragon,

Just wanted to give you all an update. So I tried the all purpose cleaner as well as applying the super VRT afterwards. Unfortunately didn't do much at all... the only way it will come off is with a new door belt molding piece. :(

If anyone has a good tutorial video on how to get to that piece safely let me know, maybe one of these days I'll try and see what I can do! Thanks for all your help