Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
Sigh... marring from clay bar on an opti-coated surface

So... I was plasti-dipping the badge of my camaro just a couple hours ago.... didn't go very well. For some reason the plasti-dip comes out in very thick layer. Maybe I was applying it wrong....

Long story short, I had to remove the plasti-dip and there were thin layers of overspray outside the areas that were not covered with newspaper and what not. I tried to remove them but was a bit difficult to do.

So..... I used a new claybar (white Meguilars) and after completely removing the thin layers of plasti-dip, I see marring (clay smudges) on the car. Theres quite a bit of them. I know I applied enough lubricant on it.

The car is black also... so it's fairly visible. The smudges are transparent like in color but can be seen.

Is there an easy way to remove these without having to polish the vehicle? I have opticoat on it and do not want to polish and end up removing the opti-coat.

I tried IPA but that did not seem to work. I havent tried washing the car yet... perhaps DAWN dishwashing soap will help remove it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did rinse the car and did an IPA wipedown to remove excess lubricant from claying. I will have to wash the car tomorrow and hope that the marring will get removed. But if that doesnt work... not sure what Im going to do -.-
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Plastidip overspray are pretty big pieces of contaminants (in terms of clay bar). My guess is that marring occurred because of the plastidip, not the clay, as I've used that clay many many many times without issues.

If the situation ever arises again, try 3M adhesive remover and blue shop towel. That will remove overspray fairly quickly. Or substitute lacquer thinner for 3M adhesive remover.

If you have true marring, you now have a paint defect. I would imagine that you would have to polish to remove it.

Luckily you can probably mildly polish opticoat without getting rid of it.

It sure as hell takes me a long time to polish the opticoat off my car and I'm using M105!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Probably just continued agitation with a MF towel or a mild finishing polish if that doesn't work.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Plastidip overspray are pretty big pieces of contaminants (in terms of clay bar). My guess is that marring occurred because of the plastidip, not the clay, as I've used that clay many many many times without issues.

If the situation ever arises again, try 3M adhesive remover and blue shop towel. That will remove overspray fairly quickly. Or substitute lacquer thinner for 3M adhesive remover.

If you have true marring, you now have a paint defect. I would imagine that you would have to polish to remove it.

Luckily you can probably mildly polish opticoat without getting rid of it.

It sure as hell takes me a long time to polish the opticoat off my car and I'm using M105!
I think it is marring for sure though because I had the same issue when I prep-ed the car for opticoating. But this was removed when I polished the car.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Saint_Shroomie

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS
FYI, I've had wonderful success with removing Plastidip overspray with just a little bit of Goof-Off.
Saint_Shroomie is offline   Reply With Quote