Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Pontiac G8 GT roadtest

I was just searching around, and when I came accross motor trends website I saw this

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt_first_test

worth noting

0-60: 5.3 sec
1/4 mile: 13.8 s @ 102.8 mph
skidpad: 0.88g
60-0: 112 ft
51/49 front-rear weight distribution
15/24 mpg

there you have the first set of numbers on North Americas first Zeta. The mileage is slightly disapointing considering the VVT and AFM. then again, the GT weighs 4096 lbs. I really hope the Camaro base v8 weighs a few hundred pounds less.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 02-22-2008 at 04:43 PM.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Going by the stats on Holden's website about the VE Commodore, the concept Camaro has a shorter wheelbase (by almost 4 1/2 inches) and is about 6 inches shorter overall than the G8. But the G8 is just over 4 3/4 inches narrower than the Camaro concept, though I imagine the production Camaro will narrow a bit...still seems that the Camaro will still have a slightly smaller presence than the G8 and drop a bit of weight there. Plus, the G8's interior is decked out with a lot of comforts and accoutrements, and I imagine the Camaro's interior won't be as lavish, and that'll save some weight as well. I think it could easily come in few hundred pounds lighter.
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Out-freaking-standing. The G8 = GM pissing excellence over everyone else. Darn it, this is what the General can do on A FULL SIZE FAMILY SEDAN. Just imagine what they are capable of when making dedicated performance cars. Behold the G8 and weep, all who challenge GM.

Also, Edmund's take:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

I guess the embargo is over. Seriously, GM freaking pwns with this one. They even mention the Camaro SS (they assume the SS will be the top dog) and how it will likely own the Challenger since it is based on the same platform as the G8. Suh-weet.

Last edited by stovt001; 02-22-2008 at 02:32 AM.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Out-freaking-standing. The G8 = GM pissing excellence over everyone else. Darn it, this is what the General can do on A FULL SIZE FAMILY SEDAN. Just imagine what they are capable of when making dedicated performance cars. Behold the G8 and weep, all who challenge GM.

Also, Edmund's take:

I guess the embargo is over. Seriously, GM freaking pwns with this one. They even mention the Camaro SS (they assume the SS will be the top dog) and how it will likely own the Challenger since it is based on the same platform as the G8. Suh-weet.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Damn that thing is impressive! Their test against the SRT8 also proves my theory that the modern HEMI engine isn't worth a damn... to slow to rev and makes its power way to low down.

Now if we get the LS3 in there then thats a proper battle! The G8 GXP is just going to KILL the SRT8!

I'm not even going to MENTION the Camaro SS against the Challenger because... well.. we all know whos going to will that one.

This also bodes VERY well for the Camaro in general, both in Chassis tuning and in performance.

Can't wait!

~LSx
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Wow, that must've really hurt for Motor Trend to actually give a good review to an American car. . With that said, that looks like a fantastic car, if I wasn't going for the Camaro, I'd seriously go for the G8 GT in a heart beat.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

I think that pretty much confirms what we've been saying, that the base Camaro will hold its own against the SRT8 Challenger.

But those numbers comming from a $30k are very impressive. The interior recieved a bit of a mixed review. But the power is there, the handling is there, the ride is there, and it has a decent (not perfect) interior. Very nice. I think I'm gonna have to take a test drive this summer, if there are any GT's left on the lot. Not because I want to buy one, but because it will give me a good baseline for the new Camaro

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
(no VVT) But you've got everything else dead-on!!

5.3 seconds....with an Auto...in a Sedan. That's quicker than the 4thgen SS's isn't it?

Now pop that same drivetrain in a smaller, (I would assume) more aerodynamic car, and I think we can look for 4.9 0-60 in the Camaro...hot Damn!!! I'm sorry to anybody who thinks differently, but the L76 is one impressive motor.

Ah, I love it!!!!! Zeta is really state-of-the-art stuff...Let anybody challenge it - And they'll have tough time trying to out handle, out class, and generally beat it.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
(no VVT) But you've got everything else dead-on!!

5.3 seconds....with an Auto...in a Sedan. That's quicker than the 4thgen SS's isn't it?

Now pop that same drivetrain in a smaller, (I would assume) more aerodynamic car, and I think we can look for 4.9 0-60 in the Camaro...hot Damn!!! I'm sorry to anybody who thinks differently, but the L76 is one impressive motor.

Ah, I love it!!!!! Zeta is really state-of-the-art stuff...Let anybody challenge it - And they'll have tough time trying to out handle, out class, and generally beat it.
+1

One correction to the original poster....The G8 trapped 102.8 mph in the 1/4 not 108 mph...huge difference! LOL

This thing totally outclasses the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300C. Ford doesn't even have a similar offering, unless they actually bring the Falcon to the US from Australia.......I like the G8 a lot.

You know if this is the base V8 we will find in the Camaro, then I would be happy.

Shave 500lbs off the G8 for the Camaro, and throw in this engine and you will find yourself with a very nice low low 13s/high 12s car in the 1/4 mile right out of the box.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
+1

One correction to the original poster....The G8 trapped 102.8 mph in the 1/4 not 108 mph...huge difference! LOL
thanks for the correction. all is well now

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Jak

Oh, yeah, I'd have no problem if they dropped the L76 in there. Like what's been said here before, those are very impressive numbers for a mid-sized four sedan. Take off those back doors, shorten the frame and youd loose a few hundred pounds and that L76 would be serious compition for any Mustang or Challenger, you'd see the fuel mileage improve by a few miles.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
AerospaceGuy
Hating my Ford

Drives: 99 Mercury Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
Now if we get the LS3 in there then thats a proper battle! The G8 GXP is just going to KILL the SRT8!
~LSx
Has anybody else seen this?
http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-...2l-ls3-v8.html
Now I'm pretty skeptical about that pic, but if this isn't a hoax, it might change the way we're speculating the engine lineup for the Camaro too.
AerospaceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
GM is just kicking butt, I love the G8 and was considering it seriously until I found out about the FORCED automatic. It's great that not only is it very fast but what they praise the most is it's handling/stearing/etc.

Way to go GM!!!! My only complaint, WHY OH WHY....OH WHY OH WHY, did you force an automatic in that sweet car. A stick would help fuel economy and probably cut a bit more off those great times.

By the way, I wonder what happens when you cut 400-500 pounds, add at least 20HP more (probably for the V8 version) in the up and coming beast of the Camaro?

Mustang GT numbers will be easy to beat to say the least!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
Way to go GM!!!! My only complaint, WHY OH WHY....OH WHY OH WHY, did you force an automatic in that sweet car. A stick would help fuel economy and probably cut a bit more off those great times.
Eventually. Patience my friend...It will come soon enough. But MOST people are going to buy auto with this car - so if something slipped and you could only validate ONE tranny in time for release (the other for later), which would you choose(if you were GM)?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
^Also about the manual tranny, I talked to a Pontiac rep at the Chicago Auto Show and he also confirmed that it will be offered by the end of the year.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
stovt001

Jak called it a mid-sizer. I'd have to disagree. The G8 is pretty massive. It cleanly fits the definition of a "large car". So convert that to midsize coupe, and you're looking at significant weight savings, especially if you ditch some of the luxury options that come standard on the G8 GT. So Zeta overall must be a pretty lightweight platform for its size and power/drive train configuration.

As far as the manual, I hadn't heard it confirmed that it really would get one, so that's very encouraging. I had only heard it might or might not. I can understand why GM would just offer an automatic at first. Really, this isn't a true performance car in the same sense that the Camaro is. It is designed to haul families, clients, etc in relative comfort. It is more of a highway cruiser than a sports car. The automatic just fits that profile better. But I'm glad they'll offer both.

I was hoping for the L76 as the base V8, but now I'm hoping we'll get a Gen V that has a similar performance/cost ratio, or better.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
^Well, according to the performance #'s...speed and handling, this is one heck of a sports sadan.

Quote:
Eventually. Patience my friend...It will come soon enough. But MOST people are going to buy auto with this car - so if something slipped and you could only validate ONE tranny in time for release (the other for later), which would you choose(if you were GM)?
I hope that is what happens, I've just heard a back and forth on that so I was not sure. The auto makes sense, I agree...while I don't have to like it, lol.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
Jak

My bad, don't know where I got the mid-size from. Checked the size difference between the G8 an Charger: Length- 196.1 G8/ 200.1 Charger, width very close- 74.8 G8/ 74.5 Charger, weigth- 3995 G8/4031 Charger.

Quote:
Jak called it a mid-sizer. I'd have to disagree. The G8 is pretty massive. It cleanly fits the definition of a "large car". So convert that to midsize coupe, and you're looking at significant weight savings, especially if you ditch some of the luxury options that come standard on the G8 GT. So Zeta overall must be a pretty lightweight platform for its size and power/drive train configuration.

As far as the manual, I hadn't heard it confirmed that it really would get one, so that's very encouraging. I had only heard it might or might not. I can understand why GM would just offer an automatic at first. Really, this isn't a true performance car in the same sense that the Camaro is. It is designed to haul families, clients, etc in relative comfort. It is more of a highway cruiser than a sports car. The automatic just fits that profile better. But I'm glad they'll offer both.

I was hoping for the L76 as the base V8, but now I'm hoping we'll get a Gen V that has a similar performance/cost ratio, or better.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #19
stovt001

Update: Edmunds just posted a comparison test to the Charger. The G8 just walked all over it. I'm so freaking excited. This thing is just great, and you can bet the Camaro will be every bit as good, if not better.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Update: Edmunds just posted a comparison test to the Charger. The G8 just walked all over it. I'm so freaking excited. This thing is just great, and you can bet the Camaro will be every bit as good, if not better.

Sounds like GM is up to its old tricks

Quote:
Quick enough that there's a chance the G8's engine is underrated at 361 hp. Until we get a G8 GT on a chassis dyno, we'll just have to credit its transmission for getting the absolute most from its companion engine.
wonder if the guys at the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) who rate all of GM's engines are former (or current) employees. Either way, you cannot argue with results. Better perfromance. Less price. And to hear things like "the Charger R/T's Mercedes-made five-speed automatic feels prehistoric compared to the G8's six-speed" or "The G8 whipped around the skid pad with 0.85g of grip and then screamed through the slalom at nearly 66 mph. That's not only clearly better than the Charger, but comparable to the BMW 535i Inside Line tested back in June, which whirled to 0.89g on the skid pad and galloped through the slalom at 65 mph." just makes me feel all warm inside.

What we just read was a preview of the Camaro vs Challenger. And the results will be similar but Dodge is getting a new 5.7 hemi to even the score a bit. Braking, handling, interior, and styling will all meet with the same results.

To Zeta :party0038:

To all 'Challengers' :middlefinger:

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
bigralph

Drives: 2001 v6 Camaro
I wish the G8 came with some type AWD options.
bigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
mbell75

Drives: a fast one
Am I the only one NOT impressed by this? My old 99 Mustang GT only ran a few tenths behind this NINE years ago! That was with 100 less hp too...I think its ridiculous how heavy US cars are getting. 3600 lbs seemed heavy as hell just 5-6 years ago, now you have these things all running close to 4000. I think it sucks.
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Am I the only one NOT impressed by this? My old 99 Mustang GT only ran a few tenths behind this NINE years ago! That was with 100 less hp too...I think its ridiculous how heavy US cars are getting. 3600 lbs seemed heavy as hell just 5-6 years ago, now you have these things all running close to 4000. I think it sucks.
I'm impressed that a 4100 lb sedan is a better performer than a recent sport coupe. While getting similar mileage with an additional 100 hp and 500 lbs. To me, thats pretty good.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #24
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Hey man, not to bash on a fellow stang banger...but an old 99 Camaro Z28 ran about half a second faster than this car...NINE years ago.

Apples to oranges man.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #25
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ok...I want to know just how many people have seen this G8 GT BEAUTY in person!!!

My wife, kids, and I were running our errands today and after breakfast at IHOP, began driving passed the Pontiac/GMC dealer. I had to pull in.

What did I see but a red Pontiac G8 GT w/ black leather interior. Now.............. I'm telling ya'll this is one more vehicle like the concept where pictures DON'T do it justice! I was floored by how awesome it looked. The interior leather actually felt like nice leather and the seats were increadibly comfortable. The dash had the large LCD touch screen...don't know if it had NAV or not, but it had bluetooth, onstar, homelink, heated seats, power front seats, chrome pedals, and 19 inch chrome wheels.

This G8 GT was GORGOUS! I actually began thinking that if for some CRAZY reason the new Camaro didn't work for me, this was going to be my new ride. Oh, and the room in the back seats?!?!?!?! WOW!

The dealer smiled when he told me it had 361hp...and then kinda jokingly mentioned about it having more hp than my SS. hehehehe....I found it funny. But, I asked about the G8 GXP and he looked baffled. It was okay, he was well informed about the car sitting in front of us. But, I told him to look up on the web about the G8 GXP w/ the LS3. Ohhhh yeah.

He said that they got 4 total in the first shipment and sold three right off the bat. The one we were looking at was the last and only one on the lot until they got the next delivery. I told him about all my great purchases from Ancira at $200 over cost and the last at $100 over cost. He looked at me and said, "Well...I don't think you are going to find any of these at a price like that here, but we'll let this one go at MSRP."

I'm tellin' you guys.....the G8 GT is a helluva car. Can't wait to see the G8 GXP. Oh, and the MSRP on this one w/ the $1250 option (steering wheel leather, pedals, heated seats, and a couple other things in this package) as well as the $800 sport package (19" rims, summer tires, some other stuff) were the only two options picked.

EDIT: I actually felt like I was buying a car again checking this one out, I was so excited. It kinda made me feel like that kid again buying my first Z28...hehehe...cheesy, I know. But, wow...I was excited to see that because I knew then just what we were in store for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote