Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Night Owl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
ForrGump
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SWFL
Posts: 18
These forums scare me!



TMI or not enough?
As a recent new purchaser of a 2012 vert I have read many many posts about problems, issues...etc. In contrast, I have also read a few positive posts concerning convertables. I do realize that the majority of satisfied customers will, most likely, never visit or post in these forums.

My question is, where do I find the date of manufacture for my vehicle? I ran the VIN number only to see that it was built in Canada but no date. My concern is if my new car was built in the later part of the year in the hopes that some of these issues I have read about concerning convertables have been taken care of.

VIN: 2G1FK3DJ6C9161545

Thanks
ForrGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
MMC

 
MMC's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 845
The date is on the drivers door plate. The RPO codes and workbench order number is in the trunk, drivers side under the mat.
__________________
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
tonyko1
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Yes, one satisified customer may tell one person, but an unsatisfied one will tell 100.

My top is fine, was produced in 1/12.........supposedly, all 2012's after 4/12 were where the "Fix" was done for the top. Whatever.

I too am glad I didn't see this forum before getting my "vert". It would have scared me away as well. Now I look at every ragtop, regardless of make. It is a flexible thing, not rigid steel. As long as mine seals correctly, I am happy. I don't have but a crease that disappears after a day with the top up and no "worrisome wear marks".

I am going to enjoy the car and if I have to replace the top, so be it. Car looks so cool with the top down, can't imagine my car with a hardtop.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 3,773
If you want a general idea of when the car was built, open the hood, on the passenger side, look down at the frame rail. There should be a stcker on the frame rail with a date on it. It's actually the date that particular sub-assembley was made, but it should be within a few days of the cars overall build date.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
ForrGump
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SWFL
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I am going to enjoy the car and if I have to replace the top, so be it. Car looks so cool with the top down, can't imagine my car with a hardtop.
Agreed. The car is mine now and it too will be enjoyed.
I hate to learn from others expense especially when this expense comes with frustrations and aggrevations.
Let's just say that my "awarness" is at a heightned state concerning potential issues.

Also, thanks for DOM info. I'm out of town currently and will check out the date upon my return.

FG
ForrGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
walters477
 
Drives: white 2012 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: minnesota
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Yes, one satisified customer may tell one person, but an unsatisfied one will tell 100.

My top is fine, was produced in 1/12.........supposedly, all 2012's after 4/12 were where the "Fix" was done for the top. Whatever.

I too am glad I didn't see this forum before getting my "vert". It would have scared me away as well. Now I look at every ragtop, regardless of make. It is a flexible thing, not rigid steel. As long as mine seals correctly, I am happy. I don't have but a crease that disappears after a day with the top up and no "worrisome wear marks".

I am going to enjoy the car and if I have to replace the top, so be it. Car looks so cool with the top down, can't imagine my car with a hardtop.
I feel the same as you do, mine was built 8/11 we had 10,000 trouble free miles until I put something in the truck that interfeared with the fifth bow. Had to have that replaced plus they put the water bag in and did it all under warranty even tho it was my fault. I think to many people are bashing the camaro convertible, I would drive mine even if it didn't have a top. Love the car
walters477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 16,494
I'm happy with my 2012 Vert that was built in August 2011.

If you want a exact date you can check out this thread,
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291671

You can also ask your dealer to get the build sheet for your car if you bought it new.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
pannhead51
 
pannhead51's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS convertible
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 372
I love my vert.... no complaints.
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Baba

 
Baba's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USAREUR/CONUS-DOD/A
Posts: 1,191
Sticker on the inside, door jam will give you the month and year built. You can go to your Chevy dealer's service dept. and give them the VIN and ask them to print a "build sheet" for you which will have the RPO codes (of all the equipment that your vehicle came with from the factory) and it should give you the DATE on which your Camaro was built (date, month & year).

Very happy 2011 'vert owner here. Aside from the "wave" in the top, bilaterally and a loose-fitting brake reservoir cap which I had replaced under warranty last week, I've not had any problems of any kind, thus far. Very, very happy with my 2011 Camaro Convertible.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Summit White
Black Leather
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Bcarr
 
Bcarr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 244
My build date for my 2012 is 11/11. I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood of course...
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
DFWHD
 
Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 318
My vert was born on April 13, 2012 and I've got absolutely no top issues. I love it more each day I get to drive it
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
vanlieremead
Chris
 
vanlieremead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS Jewel Red 6.2L Vert
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Posts: 178
Smile

Guys,

I also bought the vert before reading through these forums. And I have had the 5th bow break and a new top. But I still love the car. I've had it 2 years now and it runs better (or as well) than new. I love it when the dealer writes 'alignment perfect' on the checks. And the car fits me well.

I still have people today give my red jewel looks and comments. And I look at all kinds of other tops and they all have problems, one way or another. The Stang tops are vinyl, ours are a nice cloth which I preferred when I purchased the car.

I hope I didn't overload you with too many pics.
Attached Images
     
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
babytiger
it's hers...
 
babytiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: katy, tx
Posts: 1,207
We never had a minutes trouble with ours.
And remember these forums consist of .01% of actual owners. (give or take)
Like others have said, people always complain if given the opportunity.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06
 
Drives: 2013 GXH 1SS/1LE 2012 Malibu LTZ
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrGump View Post



My question is, where do I find the date of manufacture for my vehicle? I ran the VIN number only to see that it was built in Canada but no date. My concern is if my new car was built in the later part of the year in the hopes that some of these issues I have read about concerning convertables have been taken care of.

VIN: 2G1FK3DJ6C9161545

Thanks
Your car was built on January 4th 2012.

You've had your airbag light reprogram/recall done and you've had a daytime running light bulb replaced under warranty!

Don't worry about all the issues. Some people on this forum are more picky than others and demand a recall when a grasshopper took a dump on their hood and caused a microscopic clear coat peeling


I'm obviously exaggerating. Enjoy your convertible and you have lots of warranty left!!
__________________
2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20. Heritage grille,Dusk blue panels,Eibach springs,ARH LTs,K&N intake, PatG custom cam &510 Race Engineering tune. No bowties/no badges!
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
bulllett
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East Hampton, CT
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
Don't worry about all the issues. Some people on this forum are more picky than others !
Yeah, how dare some people get mad about bows breaking and water filling up floors and holes and tops literally popping out and......meh, I'll just quote myself;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
Let's try to put this to bed.......again.

As has been said on here, many, many, many times, the problems haven't been in the problem itself (as in the tops being defective), the problems have been in the way they were addressed by the dealerships AND GM (for those that don't know, you can kick back a couple of years and see the start of the answers that were given to those that had problems. I won't go through all that here).

But the good news is, it appears that GM has started to come around and NOT be blatantly argumentative with these problems and are starting to back off blaming the customer with the "normal" comments. Is it because a lot of us who had problems continued to put pressure on? Possibly. Is it because many who have problems now also have information in hand to address the problems? Could be. We are now seeing a bit more often an actual conversation between customer and dealership about a strategy to address the problem. As opposed to a confrontation about it not even being a problem (or a problem caused by the customer)

But regardless of reasons, you now have information on these problems to base your decisions upon. Information is power and you need to decide if you can put up with these issues if you are one of the "lucky" ones that get them.

As far as the numbers of cars with problems; unless GM is willing to give out information and numbers, we'll never know the extent of the problem. Those that say it is very limited point to the people that have no problem. Those that say its extensive, point to the people that do have problems. Suffice it to say, that there is a known problem out there. The extent of which is unknown but it is there.

So deal the problems IF you get them, but in the mean time, enjoy.
I could go over the problems that were encountered, but I believe the OP may have already done his/her homework. Hence an informed decision. If they run into a problem, then they will have the information to deal with it. These posts on problems shouldn't be meant to scare you, as much as have an informed decision.

Honestly the arrogance and insensitivity that some on here have toward those that have had problems baffles me. That kind of thinking is like an attitude to somebody who {had something bad happen to them, that doesn't happen to a lot of people - I didn't like my choice of subject matter for the analogy so I edited it}; "well it hasn't happened to me, and it doesn't happen to a lot of people. So I don't see what those people are whining about".
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
95birdible

 
95birdible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 1,377

Thanks for the post Bulllett. I have been looking at this all day and biting my tongue not to respond. If some think 101 days out of service in less than 3 months on the road is a good thing, so be it and more power to them. By my count so far, by us helping others, over 20 people have received a buy back from the help we as previous problem owners have given them. Hence the reason we have been posting the issues. Not to scare anyone away, to help them be informed about what they possibly could encounter with their car and how to go about getting it fixed. Yes, sometimes we do bitch about it also. It is human to be pissed off when you spend 40 grand of your hard earned money on a fun car only to have it go to shit.
I took mine out for the first time in 6 months today. Permagrin ear to ear. Heck, she is in the garage now and I am still smiling.
__________________
2012 1SS Triple Black Convertible
"The Assassin" 8/4/11 - 4/17/12

2012 1SS Crystal Red Convertible
"Cherry Bomb" 4/17/12 - Lifetime?
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
rubbersoul84
 
rubbersoul84's Avatar
 
Drives: IO 2012 2SS/RS convertible
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Forest Hill, MD
Posts: 83
My 2012 has a 4/11 build date. I've had the top replaced once, but that's the only problem I've had. I love my car and am so glad we bought it!
rubbersoul84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
Michael Rophone
 
Michael Rophone's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
I still have people today give my red jewel looks and comments. And I look at all kinds of other tops and they all have problems, one way or another. The Stang tops are vinyl, ours are a nice cloth which I preferred when I purchased the car.

I hope I didn't overload you with too many pics.
Beautiful chariot.

The V6 Mustang tops are vinyl. The V8 tops are cloth. (just FYI)
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Bcarr
 
Bcarr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
Yeah, how dare some people get mad about bows breaking and water filling up floors and holes and tops literally popping out and......meh, I'll just quote myself;



I could go over the problems that were encountered, but I believe the OP may have already done his/her homework. Hence an informed decision. If they run into a problem, then they will have the information to deal with it. These posts on problems shouldn't be meant to scare you, as much as have an informed decision.

Honestly the arrogance and insensitivity that some on here have toward those that have had problems baffles me. That kind of thinking is like an attitude to somebody who {had something bad happen to them, that doesn't happen to a lot of people - I didn't like my choice of subject matter for the analogy so I edited it}; "well it hasn't happened to me, and it doesn't happen to a lot of people. So I don't see what those people are whining about".
I'm sorry you had a problem but I'm tired of people that have had issues coming on this forum (and others) and acting as if all of these convertibles are bad. You had an issue and had it repaired. Get over it and move on.
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
bulllett
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East Hampton, CT
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr View Post
I'm sorry you had a problem but I'm tired of people that have had issues coming on this forum (and others) and acting as if all of these convertibles are bad. You had an issue and had it repaired. Get over it and move on.
Lol, baffles.

The "ostrich" strategy or the "I got mine" strategy just doesn't suit me. I'll continue to help others.

But thanks for the advice.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Earthshaker6
 
Earthshaker6's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th Anniversary HPE650
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 486
The funny part is not the fact that happy customers don't say anything but unhappy customers do...it is more that happy customers consolidate their responses into minimum post for easier reference...unhappy customers thread jack, start multiple threads, and continue to throw their horror stories out to make sure every Camaro owner hears them. This is their "Getting GM Back" method. As will all cars...there will be a few that have issues. I challenge anyone to go through the convertible forum without finding the same 3-5 names popping up bashing the convertible! Even on the happy convertible threads...there they are...the same 3-5 bashing the happy owners for not being mad with them! Over 16k miles in less than a year (before deploying) and had the top up and down more than a hooker...no issues. It could break the day I roll back into country and you know what? I would take it to the dealer, get it repaired, and enjoy the heck out of this thing!!!
__________________
HPE650 in 45th Anniversary beauty
Earthshaker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06
 
Drives: 2013 GXH 1SS/1LE 2012 Malibu LTZ
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshaker6 View Post
The funny part is not the fact that happy customers don't say anything but unhappy customers do...it is more that happy customers consolidate their responses into minimum post for easier reference...unhappy customers thread jack, start multiple threads, and continue to throw their horror stories out to make sure every Camaro owner hears them. This is their "Getting GM Back" method. As will all cars...there will be a few that have issues. I challenge anyone to go through the convertible forum without finding the same 3-5 names popping up bashing the convertible! Even on the happy convertible threads...there they are...the same 3-5 bashing the happy owners for not being mad with them! Over 16k miles in less than a year (before deploying) and had the top up and down more than a hooker...no issues. It could break the day I roll back into country and you know what? I would take it to the dealer, get it repaired, and enjoy the heck out of this thing!!!

It's not just the convertible forum too. The same people in the "other" subforums do the same thing. Thank you for your service and being real about whiny forum babies

HPE 650 45th drop top? Is that a 1 of 1? One of my co-workers has a 45th drop top HPE600. He just did the 1LE 3.91 rear gear swap and
You've got one hell of a ride!
__________________
2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20. Heritage grille,Dusk blue panels,Eibach springs,ARH LTs,K&N intake, PatG custom cam &510 Race Engineering tune. No bowties/no badges!
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
Earthshaker6
 
Earthshaker6's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th Anniversary HPE650
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

It's not just the convertible forum too. The same people in the "other" subforums do the same thing. Thank you for your service and being real about whiny forum babies

HPE 650 45th drop top? Is that a 1 of 1? One of my co-workers has a 45th drop top HPE600. He just did the 1LE 3.91 rear gear swap and
You've got one hell of a ride!
David

Thanks for all, I believe it is close to a 1 of 1 since this car had a total build number of 524...Hennessey does not do a lot of these packages each year...and she is getting painted 45th Anniversary stripes with ghost flames (in the gray portion of the stripes) starting 05 May. The paint will be done before I return home and take her to Camaros for Heroes in Fayetteville, NC!!! Trust me, your co-worker has a hell of a car also. I went with the 9" rear end package with 3.73 gears (as you know the rear end package includes one piece alluminum drive shaft and upgraded axles) I also have 6 signatures from GM reps from the fest last year...including FBodFather himself...and John Hennessey's signature across the brace over the engine. I will have her in Fayetteville and I am expected to make the Fest again! Hope to see you! Take care!
__________________
HPE650 in 45th Anniversary beauty
Earthshaker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06
 
Drives: 2013 GXH 1SS/1LE 2012 Malibu LTZ
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshaker6 View Post
David

Thanks for all, I believe it is close to a 1 of 1 since this car had a total build number of 524...Hennessey does not do a lot of these packages each year...and she is getting painted 45th Anniversary stripes with ghost flames (in the gray portion of the stripes) starting 05 May. The paint will be done before I return home and take her to Camaros for Heroes in Fayetteville, NC!!! Trust me, your co-worker has a hell of a car also. I went with the 9" rear end package with 3.73 gears (as you know the rear end package includes one piece alluminum drive shaft and upgraded axles) I also have 6 signatures from GM reps from the fest last year...including FBodFather himself...and John Hennessey's signature across the brace over the engine. I will have her in Fayetteville and I am expected to make the Fest again! Hope to see you! Take care!
AWESOME! I can never make the fest cause I am a slave to the dealership...we are actually a Hennessey dealer and John and I are on a first name basis. Unfortunately I can't afford his signature(or packages) on my car!

The painted stripes sound like they are gonna be KILLER! def post up some pics when they are done. Your setup is sick
__________________
2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20. Heritage grille,Dusk blue panels,Eibach springs,ARH LTs,K&N intake, PatG custom cam &510 Race Engineering tune. No bowties/no badges!
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
tonyko1
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
Guys,

I also bought the vert before reading through these forums. And I have had the 5th bow break and a new top. But I still love the car. I've had it 2 years now and it runs better (or as well) than new. I love it when the dealer writes 'alignment perfect' on the checks. And the car fits me well.

I still have people today give my red jewel looks and comments. And I look at all kinds of other tops and they all have problems, one way or another. The Stang tops are vinyl, ours are a nice cloth which I preferred when I purchased the car.

I hope I didn't overload you with too many pics.
Love that color, your car is awesome, the desert background really sets it off! I had a choice of two IBM verts, one with tan top and beige leather or the black and I opted for the black as it is more subtle with the IBM. But your tan top really works!

Have admired your car on other posts, almost thought of trading in for your color on a 2013, but doing the trade-in math nixed that deal! Perhaps a 2015 Vette in that color....

Best regards,

Tony
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.