Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Sblann

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Clay bar

What's the best clay bar to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Sblann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
I've used Mother's and I've used Meguiar's and they both seem to be the same and I've had great results with both.
I do mine at the start of car show season and just did mine 2wks ago, and followed it up with polish, wax and then a sealer. You can see my results on what will be a 4yr old car this October.
Attached Images

Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
same here i cant tell much diff between the 2. both great .

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Rcfiddy1

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Clay is so yesterday.....
Nanoskin
ECS Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Blower Cam, Alky Meth, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
NiveusZ28

Drives: 81 Z28
I like Zaino.
NiveusZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
According to "Junkman", all clay comes from the same place and there is no difference.
BDBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
Doing mine in 2 weeks. Gonna use Zaino. I already had it before the new towel method came out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Sblann

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Thanks for replies, what the new towel method, do you have to clay before zaino, what's the process of zaino
Sblann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I use mothers clay bars and never have had a problem.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
NiveusZ28

Drives: 81 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
Thanks for replies, what the new towel method, do you have to clay before zaino, what's the process of zaino
Zaino has a full line of products for detailing. http://www.zainostore.com/
I use their Show Car Wash concentrate diluted properly to wash the surface and with their clay bar also. I then follow that with their Show Car Polish for Clear Coated cars. I use Pete's 53' Black Pearl White Carnauba as a final step right before a car show. On a side note Zaino makes a "slingless" tire gloss that smells like bubble gum...makes my sweet tooth go nuts when I use it.
NiveusZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I used Meguiers clay bar a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't look like much contaminants were in the clay bar afterwards. First time clay baring the camaro in the 2 years I have had, but it has less than 3,000 miles on it so maybe thats why I didn't have much contaminants in the clay.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
I used Meguiers clay bar a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't look like much contaminants were in the clay bar afterwards. First time clay baring the camaro in the 2 years I have had, but it has less than 3,000 miles on it so maybe thats why I didn't have much contaminants in the clay.
Especially if its kept inside and not driven much in dusty, dirty, rainy areas that can deposit particles.

I'm a fan of optimums clay. I wasn't too big a fan of Adams clay it just seemed dry, but it could've been a batch difference or some reason caused by me. The nano skin seems good but maybe just too fancy for me, plus it seems difficult to use in tight areas.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBiker View Post
According to "Junkman", all clay comes from the same place and there is no difference.
The same company makes it, but there are different grades, fine medium and aggressive is what you will usually see.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
Here the Zaino basic application per the website, including the clay bar recommendations to remove surface contamination:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...de=APPLICATION
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
They ALL come from the same source.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
OP, here you go http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...44#post6478144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBiker View Post
While clay is all made in one place, I believe that the grades of clay are made by processing by the individual companies. How else can it be explained that one fine grade is different thananother fine grade by another company?

Just like gas from your gas station, since all gas comes from the same place, ans then each gas station modifies it with their own method/chemicals, clay can be made from the same place but post production processing can make it different. All my opinion though from experience claying tons of cars.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
While clay is all made in one place, I believe that the grades of clay are made by processing by the individual companies. How else can it be explained that one fine grade is different thananother fine grade by another company?

Just like gas from your gas station, since all gas comes from the same place, ans then each gas station modifies it with their own method/chemicals, clay can be made from the same place but post production processing can make it different. All my opinion though from experience claying tons of cars.
Aside from coloring, what else can be added to a claybar? Yes there are different grades but I doubt each company is sent one grade of claybar, then they make the different grades from it. I would think that if the different companies had the ability to process different grades of clay, they'd have the ability to make their own to begin with.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #19
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Aside from coloring, what else can be added to a claybar? Yes there are different grades but I doubt each company is sent one grade of claybar, then they make the different grades from it. I would think that if the different companies had the ability to process different grades of clay, they'd have the ability to make their own to begin with.
Different companies do have the ability to make their own clay... it's just a patent issue. No one is allowed to make clay in the US until the patent runs out, which is actually very soon, like within the next year or two if I remember correctly.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
From what I've read is just the abrasiveness that each clay has. But I have noticed with clay companies on how firm it is and how easy it is to mold into an easy shape to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Different companies do have the ability to make their own clay... it's just a patent issue. No one is allowed to make clay in the US until the patent runs out, which is actually very soon, like within the next year or two if I remember correctly.
I think it may actually be this year, whether it means better clay or not is anyone's guess.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
chozn4service
Five-O

I know my car is garage kept, never out in the elements of snow or rain. I clay at the start of the car show season and if something happens during the course of the year like getting sapped like I did last year, I'll do it again. Each time though, I have seen stuff in the clay. Once I've completed the car it's as smooth as glass. Though the two kits I've used appeared to be the same for the most part, there was a slight color difference with one being more yellow over the other and one seemed to be more pliable when kneading it for preparation. Still, they both served the purpose I was looking for.

If you want to know if your car needs to be clayed and I did mine when I first bought it and brought it home, take a cellophane wrapper or a sandwich bag and put your fingers in it and run them lightly over your paint finish. If you feel a rough, bumpy or any material on the tips of your fingers, you need to clay the car.
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Clay is irrelevant and outdated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
chozn4service
Five-O

Think I'll continue my outdated and irrelevant process.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Think I'll continue my outdated and irrelevant process.
Go for it. Time is worth different amounts to different people.

There are several much better, much faster, much safer methods of doing the same thing these days. But clay away my friend!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/2012 SS