Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
I've always surrendered milage for sticky, I've never had a set that I thought were just too sticky.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #27
Dallas90

Quick update, the customer service folks at Chevy responded right away. Unfortunately we have played phone tag. It is gratifying to see the rapid response.
Did get a call from the parts/accessory guy at the dealer. He owns a Camaro (I didn't ask which model) and has no Pirelli love either. Didn't really have any avenues to offer other than full boat price at a tire dealer, said he wanted out of his tires, but was "barely making the car payment".
As for "hill start assist" I bet there is a way to turn it off in the service manual.

Last edited by Dallas90; 04-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
I find the compound on the Pirellis to be hard and have lower traction in any colder weather (<55-60F). I have to work to avoid spinning the tires when cold or if the ambient keeps them that way. It surprised me how much different they are when cold. Make sure the tire pressure is high enough to keep them from flat spotting - I think its 36 psi cold.

However I also enjoy spinning the tires from time to time.

As to HSA, I hated it until I figured it out with the help of the guys here. Put the car into neutral, release the clutch, and put back into gear with reduced brake pedal pressure to just hold the car from rolling. I actually came to appreciate it after getting stuck behind a line of cars with a stop sign at the top of a hill.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
Again, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I had them demonstrate flat spotting when they sat outside a restraunt for 2 hours. It was low ambient, mid 40s or so. Still, makes me nostalgic for 1970s truck tires with nylon cords. Ahhh, 3 on the tree.
I do not meant to be rude or to insult you, but for tires to "flat spot" in 2 hours on a mid 40's day makes me think you may not have sufficient tire pressure. Is that possible?
gajagfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
Dallas90

No, I'm at spec all the way around. I checked it with my old round dial gage and it agrees with the TPMS readings. They filled me with nitrogen so in theory it should be more stable.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #31
Dallas90

The traction drop due to temp is pretty abrupt. It's got to be a chemistry problem, they were willing to give up cold wx traction to gain something else. But it doesn't seem to be warm wx traction that they gained.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I only got 11k out of my Pirelli but I wasn't gentle with them either. I went with BFG Comp 2 and like them better. Next time I'll probably try the new Mickey Thompson sport tires. There is a lot of good reviews for them.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I only got 11k out of my Pirelli but I wasn't gentle with them either. I went with BFG Comp 2 and like them better. Next time I'll probably try the new Mickey Thompson sport tires. There is a lot of good reviews for them.

I just mounted Hankook V12's on my SS and Sky two weeks a go. Made a big difference on both cars in how it rides and handles, for the better. I wanted the BFG's but they have been discontinued, and everybody is out of stock on the 275's. So far I like the Hankooks so much, I may even go with them on the ZL1 as well, unless BFG comes out with an updated model.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #34
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
The traction drop due to temp is pretty abrupt. It's got to be a chemistry problem, they were willing to give up cold wx traction to gain something else. But it doesn't seem to be warm wx traction that they gained.
Totally agree! Without incriminating myself I'll just say that I no longer turn off my nannies; I used to love driving her with them off! That is until the stock tires(Pirelli's) failed me miserably. They are pure garbage IMO and I'll never, ever spend a penny on the name ever again! I've read stories of them failing in cooler weather and I have firsthand knowledge of it! Drivers beware is all I'll say.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #35
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Maybe you could've gotten a deal from the dealer when you were working out the financials, but here's how that goes. You say I want some different tires, and say give me $500 off on that, of course then they don't come down on the price of the car by $500, basically a wash. It's the way of the world.

My very serious advice, go to the drag strip, do burnouts to your heart's content, then pick out tires that will make you happy.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #36
Dtowndog420

Drives: SBM 09 G8 GT/RH 15 SS 1LE
Should of gotten the 1le!
Dtowndog420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Probably should have stuck with a Mini van or PT Cruiser ...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #38
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Last month I bought my first new car in more than 10 years. 2013 Victory Red, 2SS, RS, Black Rally Stripes, Hurst short throw, Dual mode. Overall, I love the car. Now i'm still in the break in period, but I find there are a few things that bug me and one thing I hate. I'm not wild about CAGS, or Hill start assist. The big problem is I HATE the Pirelli P Zeros. Many moons ago I auto crossed and road raced so I'm pretty sensitive to the overnight flat spotting and the loss of grip as the temperature drops. Even when warm, I find them mediocre on roll in and grip, fair to poor in the wet. Short version, the car deserves better tires.
I've called the dealer (many miles away in KC) no help, except to say "we hear this all the time about these tires". They did have their accessory guy call me. He left me a voice mail that basically told me that "buying new tires are expensive" (doesn't sound like any special deal in the offing). I did send Chevy an e-mail and while I was busy they left me a voice mail and an e-mail. So...anybody have any experience on such a situation? Were they any help? I'd be willing to put up a few more bucks to get off these bad tires, but not too many .... I did just drop most of my cash on the car.
The CAGS is easy to get rid of, just buy a $12 CAGS eliminator on e-bay. Takes about 5 minutes to install. I don't think the Hill Start Assist is going to be so easy to get rid of. If you could simply turn it off, I don't think all these people would be on here complaining about it. Everybody seems to hate it. I don't think you're going to get much help from GM because you don't like your tires. After all, they're the ones who decided that these would be the best tires for the car and you bought the car with those tires on it, so it's your tires that you don't like now. Just replace them with something that you do like. If it were me, I'd wait until they're worn out. It won't take long. They don't wear that well either. Or you could replace them now and sell the old ones. There's quite a lot of demand, since they wear so quickly. Your call.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It is well known that the P-Zeros suck as the temperatures drop. But in warmer weather (summer conditions), they usually have excellent grip. Some guys even complain about having a hard time getting them to spin during the hot months of the year.

But most guys that are really into performance get aftermarket wheels (stock wheels are pretty heavy at 32 - 34 lbs) and better tires (suited to what type of performance their focused on).

Also, aggressive driving (occasional burnouts) and the P-Zeros may only last 8K miles or so. And the P-Zeros like to be heated up for increased traction (despite what most people say about street radials)
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #40
2xSSRS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black on Black L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Overnight flat spotting?

My car sat from December to march during winter and I barely noticed any. Drove a few miles and it was fine.

Ryan
+1
Old 05-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
Quote:
Last month I bought my first new car in more than 10 years. 2013 Victory Red, 2SS, RS, Black Rally Stripes, Hurst short throw, Dual mode. Overall, I love the car. Now i'm still in the break in period, but I find there are a few things that bug me and one thing I hate. I'm not wild about CAGS, or Hill start assist. The big problem is I HATE the Pirelli P Zeros. Many moons ago I auto crossed and road raced so I'm pretty sensitive to the overnight flat spotting and the loss of grip as the temperature drops. Even when warm, I find them mediocre on roll in and grip, fair to poor in the wet. Short version, the car deserves better tires.
I've called the dealer (many miles away in KC) no help, except to say "we hear this all the time about these tires". They did have their accessory guy call me. He left me a voice mail that basically told me that "buying new tires are expensive" (doesn't sound like any special deal in the offing). I did send Chevy an e-mail and while I was busy they left me a voice mail and an e-mail. So...anybody have any experience on such a situation? Were they any help? I'd be willing to put up a few more bucks to get off these bad tires, but not too many .... I did just drop most of my cash on the car.
You should go test drive a Mustang GT. talk about poor performance oem tires those are far worse. I found the P Zeros acceptable here in Az but its never cold here.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #42
Dallas90

Latest update. GM Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-10-007G. Information on Tire/Wheel Characteristics (Vibration, Balance, Shake, Flat Spotting) of GM Original Equipment Tires (Jul 13, 2012).
The document acknowledges the flat spotting problem and mentions that some tires have nylon overlays, not sure if this applies to p-zero. Got a call from GM help center but was unable to take it. Will try and get in touch with them tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #43
Dallas90

Quote:
I found the P Zeros acceptable
Damning with faint praise, but you're nicer about it than I am.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #44
1LEMayhem

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
I don't have plans to track my car, but the 1LE package was too good of a deal to pass up. I always wonder when I see someone with a non 1LE 2013 why they chose that route. There is really no negative aspects of the 1LE package.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #45
Dallas90

I was stretching the budget to reach 2SS. Took several pay cuts over the last 10 years, and company I work for is now coming out of BK. Thing are looking up finally, but ZL1, and 1LE was just a bridge too far. Love the wheels though.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #46
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
I don't have plans to track my car, but the 1LE package was too good of a deal to pass up. I always wonder when I see someone with a non 1LE 2013 why they chose that route. There is really no negative aspects of the 1LE package.
Haha. In that case you could wonder why everyone didnt buy the ZL1, no negative aspects there either.

Oh yeah, money.

Im definitely not impressed with the P-Zeros. I would also rate them at "acceptable".
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #47
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
I was stretching the budget to reach 2SS. Took several pay cuts over the last 10 years, and company I work for is now coming out of BK. Thing are looking up finally, but ZL1, and 1LE was just a bridge too far. Love the wheels though.
For what it is worth, the 1LE package cost just about the same as the 2SS upgrade over the 1SS. I guess its individual preference. For me the performance was much more important than the 2SS bells and whistles, so it was 1LE for me!
gajagfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Personally, this ongoing junk about flat spots is way overblown. Yes, I have felt them, but after some driving, they smooth out. It's the price you pay for a softer compound tire.

Oh, my I have a flat spot, that goes aay after a few miles of driving. Run for the hills, Storm the castle, let's burn 'em down.

Just thinking this is a bit of an over reaction.

But to each their own. I love my car, I love the handling, and I haven't had issues with these tires at all!

Last edited by greenrail; 05-17-2013 at 01:35 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #49
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSSRS View Post
+1
BINGO! Absolutely!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #50
Dallas90

To each their own is the surest truth.
As a pilot, I stay tuned in to feedback from the machine. I guess some think that's too much... so be it. I can't ignore the feedback, and I'm pretty sure when your in the back of my plane you don't want me to. Also, while i'm off on a trip, the car usually sits for 3 days. That probably causes more intense flat spotting so I'll admit this has at least two good reasons to be more of a problem for me than the usual owner.
I don't find these tires to be acceptable, I apologize to those that feel offended by such an audacious statement but I'm sure there a better tires than these and I'm sure there are worse.