Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
Man, 3 sets of rims and all that hassle. I'm not up for that. I'd sell the car and get something else first.
As for the testing and requirements, the 787 met all of Boeings tests too. As did the Cadillac 8-6-4 back in the day. It's less a question of their testing than their customer service. I'm not expecting Lexus level response. But they do have a disappointed customer, they at least need to know that.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Overnight flat spotting?

My car sat from December to march during winter and I barely noticed any. Drove a few miles and it was fine.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
Dallas90

Again, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I had them demonstrate flat spotting when they sat outside a restraunt for 2 hours. It was low ambient, mid 40s or so. Still, makes me nostalgic for 1970s truck tires with nylon cords. Ahhh, 3 on the tree.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
Again, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I had them demonstrate flat spotting when they sat outside a restraunt for 2 hours. It was low ambient, mid 40s or so. Still, makes me nostalgic for 1970s truck tires with nylon cords. Ahhh, 3 on the tree.
I know what you mean, they are just made to last too long. They also like to thump when they are cold. Thump thump thump just like most factory tires.

It will get better, when you pick out your own tires for it.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
I broke down and bought the Continental Extreme contact DWS tires when the Pirellis got worn out. They are great, Ultra High Performance all season tires, but they are also very pricey.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Dallas90

I was leaning strongly toward Goodyear Eagle GT, but I'll give the Conti's a look. Not too impressed with Pirelli obviously, so I won't look at them. And historically haven't had good grip out of Michelin, The Miche's on the CTS are unlike any others I've driven so I might consider them, but they are still down the list a ways.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
There are a few people that have the Nittos and Michellin Pilots and love them. I considered those also, but wanted higher mileage tires.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Dallas90

I've always surrendered milage for sticky, I've never had a set that I thought were just too sticky.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #26
Dallas90

Quick update, the customer service folks at Chevy responded right away. Unfortunately we have played phone tag. It is gratifying to see the rapid response.
Did get a call from the parts/accessory guy at the dealer. He owns a Camaro (I didn't ask which model) and has no Pirelli love either. Didn't really have any avenues to offer other than full boat price at a tire dealer, said he wanted out of his tires, but was "barely making the car payment".
As for "hill start assist" I bet there is a way to turn it off in the service manual.

Last edited by Dallas90; 04-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
I find the compound on the Pirellis to be hard and have lower traction in any colder weather (<55-60F). I have to work to avoid spinning the tires when cold or if the ambient keeps them that way. It surprised me how much different they are when cold. Make sure the tire pressure is high enough to keep them from flat spotting - I think its 36 psi cold.

However I also enjoy spinning the tires from time to time.

As to HSA, I hated it until I figured it out with the help of the guys here. Put the car into neutral, release the clutch, and put back into gear with reduced brake pedal pressure to just hold the car from rolling. I actually came to appreciate it after getting stuck behind a line of cars with a stop sign at the top of a hill.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #28
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
I do not meant to be rude or to insult you, but for tires to "flat spot" in 2 hours on a mid 40's day makes me think you may not have sufficient tire pressure. Is that possible?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Dallas90

No, I'm at spec all the way around. I checked it with my old round dial gage and it agrees with the TPMS readings. They filled me with nitrogen so in theory it should be more stable.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Dallas90

The traction drop due to temp is pretty abrupt. It's got to be a chemistry problem, they were willing to give up cold wx traction to gain something else. But it doesn't seem to be warm wx traction that they gained.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I only got 11k out of my Pirelli but I wasn't gentle with them either. I went with BFG Comp 2 and like them better. Next time I'll probably try the new Mickey Thompson sport tires. There is a lot of good reviews for them.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I only got 11k out of my Pirelli but I wasn't gentle with them either. I went with BFG Comp 2 and like them better. Next time I'll probably try the new Mickey Thompson sport tires. There is a lot of good reviews for them.

I just mounted Hankook V12's on my SS and Sky two weeks a go. Made a big difference on both cars in how it rides and handles, for the better. I wanted the BFG's but they have been discontinued, and everybody is out of stock on the 275's. So far I like the Hankooks so much, I may even go with them on the ZL1 as well, unless BFG comes out with an updated model.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #33
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
The traction drop due to temp is pretty abrupt. It's got to be a chemistry problem, they were willing to give up cold wx traction to gain something else. But it doesn't seem to be warm wx traction that they gained.
Totally agree! Without incriminating myself I'll just say that I no longer turn off my nannies; I used to love driving her with them off! That is until the stock tires(Pirelli's) failed me miserably. They are pure garbage IMO and I'll never, ever spend a penny on the name ever again! I've read stories of them failing in cooler weather and I have firsthand knowledge of it! Drivers beware is all I'll say.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #34
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Maybe you could've gotten a deal from the dealer when you were working out the financials, but here's how that goes. You say I want some different tires, and say give me $500 off on that, of course then they don't come down on the price of the car by $500, basically a wash. It's the way of the world.

My very serious advice, go to the drag strip, do burnouts to your heart's content, then pick out tires that will make you happy.