Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
What would you pay for this 67 RS?

A neighbor that lives 4 doors down from me had an old Camaro sitting outside today so I stopped to check it out. He is 86 years old and the car has been garaged since 1996. I'm looking for some info from any of you experienced car guys as to what I should offer him.

1967 Camaro RS, 157K miles, numbers matching 327-V8 w/ numbers matching transmission. Both engine and transmission were rebuilt and have less than 5K miles since the rebuild. It's an automatic, working A/C but not many other options. The car was totally restored back in the early 90's and he claims he has removed every single bit of rust. The car has new:

-Floor pans
-Bucket seats
-Door panels
-Dash
-Hide-a-way headlight mechanisms
-Black vinyl top

Gauges are original but they have been refurbished. The car started right up and sounded great.

The car was painted w/.Imron paint but for some reason it's peeling all over the place, it will need a total strip down and repaint. It was originally green but now it's painted an ugly gold. I am not sure if it would be better to repaint it the original green, repaint the gold, or change the paint to black to match my 2010 Camaro SS?

He is looking for an offer because he wants to downsize his possessions, I asked him what he was thinking for a price and he said he was going to ask $16K but that was several years ago before the paint went to hell.

Do any of you guys have an educated estimate of what this car is worth?
Attached Images
     
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
pickwithaustin

 
pickwithaustin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,865
If he was going to ask 16 with paint in good condition, but it has to be repainted now, offer him 9.5, but settle at 12 if you really want it.
__________________
---------------------------
Currently in my Garage:
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
HOJO
 
HOJO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 359
If you can get it for 12 or 13 I would jump all over it as long as long as the work that was done to it is quality. Even if you put 5-6 grand into a good paint job your still ahead of the game.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
If you can get it for 12 or 13 I would jump all over it as long as long as the work that was done to it is quality. Even if you put 5-6 grand into a good paint job your still ahead of the game.
I got a verbal quote to strip and repaint for $6,500, that includes the door jambs. The car has Imron paint and the guy that painted it said he didn't prep the cars metal correctly which is why the paint is peeling off.

I expected a 67 Camaro RS w/ numbers matching engine and transmission to be worth a lot more even with it needing a new paint job. Maybe a numbers matching 67 isn't as rare as I thought it was?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I was hoping for some assistance or advice.....there has to be some Gen 1 experts on the forum....right??
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
RichSS2006
 
RichSS2006's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT & SC
Posts: 477
From NADA Classic Car page. Could be a good deal. Make him an offer. He can only say no. Make sure you have cash and permission from the wife.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro Rally Sport

2 Door Hardtop

Values
Low Retail $9,950
Average Retail $24,800
High Retail $46,100
....add 5% for Factory Air Conditioning
__________________
No longer stock, but oooh so much more fun!
RichSS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
Nzcamaro
NZ Camaro. New Zealand
 
Nzcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 camaro. 2010 2ss Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 259
It is only an RS not an RS SS. Would the interior have been tan with green exterior?
I'm no expert on prices in the US but over here probably 25,000 as is.
Nzcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSS2006 View Post
From NADA Classic Car page. Could be a good deal. Make him an offer. He can only say no. Make sure you have cash and permission from the wife.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro Rally Sport

2 Door Hardtop

Values
Low Retail $9,950
Average Retail $24,800
High Retail $46,100
....add 5% for Factory Air Conditioning
That's a huge spread between low and average retail. I guess the $16K he is asking falls right in the middle.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
RichSS2006
 
RichSS2006's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT & SC
Posts: 477
If you like it and want it, buy it. It doesn't have to be a SS, Z/28 or any other rare model in order to invest. It looks like a deal to me. Go get it and have fun with it.
__________________
No longer stock, but oooh so much more fun!
RichSS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Does anyone have a 67 that has some advice for me?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzcamaro View Post
It is only an RS not an RS SS. Would the interior have been tan with green exterior?
I'm no expert on prices in the US but over here probably 25,000 as is.
It is NOT an RS/SS but it is a real RS w/ a 327-V8. The original exterior was green and the interior tan.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
tmaleck
 
tmaleck's Avatar
 
Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Does anyone have a 67 that has some advice for me?
The first thing you need to do is decode the Fisher body tag. Here is one such decoder:

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...ecode-1967.asp

As you look through the different pieces of information, you'll be able to figure out what the car came with from the factory. What this page calls Location 'L' is where you will find the RS option code. That stamping will start with a 3, followed by any options called out in the broadcast sheet. For example, a stamping of 3DL decodes as optional gauge package and RS equipment package.

As for 'numbers matching' GM divisions did not start doing VIN derivative stamping until 1968. You'll need to check the block casting number and engine serial numbers to determine if it is likely the original engine. This page can help you decode the serial number stamping:

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

You'll have to use your best judgement on how authentic this car is based on the body and engine information. Obviously, if the RS equipment ID is missing, the car is not an RS. If the engine decodes to a 66 impale 327 2bbl, it's not the original motor. If everything seems to be correct, you cannot still be 100% assured it's legit, but it likely is. If any of the required RS/SS options are missing, it pretty much means it's not an RS/SS. One last link for you to use as a reference on what to look for:

http://www.camaros.org/diffs67.shtml

I've been doing this for a long time, and have rarely seen the true real deal RS/SS. Hopefully you'll be lucky. If not, if you like the car, make an appropriate offer and enjoy it. To many times the purists will belittle a lower option car, just because. Kind of like the Gen 5 V6 isn't a real Camaro stuff.

Happy Hunting,
Tim

Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: car
Join Date: May 2008
Location: location
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaleck View Post
As for 'numbers matching' GM divisions did not start doing VIN derivative stamping until 1968. You'll need to check the block casting number and engine serial numbers to determine if it is likely the original engine. This page can help you decode the serial number stamping:
Slight correction:
Starting in 1967 they began stamping the partial VIN with the engine code on "high performance" engines, i.e. SS350, SS396 and Z/28. Apparently they may have wanted some type of trace-ability for cars that were more likely to have a warranty claim for blown up engines and to put the process in practice for when they began stamping them all. Base level engines as a whole were not stamped with the partial VIN. My car is all original numbers matching and I have the POP. I have the partial VIN stamped on my block. (L35 325HP 396)

Thought the advice given in the first few posts was spot on so I hadn't chimed in. Looks like a nice solid little RS there.
Also look on ebay or other sites for an idea of values and what other ones you could pick up for around $12K, check the "sold" listings. Nice thing about a kind of base RS like that is it is a bit of blank slate and nobody is going to get bent out of shape if you mod it, or it'd make a great cruiser with only a new paint job.

Here is an eye-opening statistic IMO, you know that ZL2 cowl induction hood you see on SO SO MANY first gens? Well they were optional on SS and Z/28 Camaros only in 1969, and were not available until December of the model year. ONLY 10,026 1969 FIRST GEN CAMAROS EVER CAME OUT OF THE FACTORY WITH THAT HOOD!
699,138 first gens total were produced, that's about 1.4%!!!

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 10-03-2015 at 05:43 PM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
OHIOSS
Russ
 
Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,626
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaleck View Post
The first thing you need to do is decode the Fisher body tag. Here is one such decoder:

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...ecode-1967.asp

As you look through the different pieces of information, you'll be able to figure out what the car came with from the factory. What this page calls Location 'L' is where you will find the RS option code. That stamping will start with a 3, followed by any options called out in the broadcast sheet. For example, a stamping of 3DL decodes as optional gauge package and RS equipment package.

As for 'numbers matching' GM divisions did not start doing VIN derivative stamping until 1968. You'll need to check the block casting number and engine serial numbers to determine if it is likely the original engine. This page can help you decode the serial number stamping:

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

You'll have to use your best judgement on how authentic this car is based on the body and engine information. Obviously, if the RS equipment ID is missing, the car is not an RS. If the engine decodes to a 66 impale 327 2bbl, it's not the original motor. If everything seems to be correct, you cannot still be 100% assured it's legit, but it likely is. If any of the required RS/SS options are missing, it pretty much means it's not an RS/SS. One last link for you to use as a reference on what to look for:

http://www.camaros.org/diffs67.shtml

I've been doing this for a long time, and have rarely seen the true real deal RS/SS. Hopefully you'll be lucky. If not, if you like the car, make an appropriate offer and enjoy it. To many times the purists will belittle a lower option car, just because. Kind of like the Gen 5 V6 isn't a real Camaro stuff.

Happy Hunting,
Tim

Tim
Thanks Tim, great information.

The car has been owned by the same guy since 1970 and he is the 2nd owner. I am going to verify as much as I can but he says it's the original motor and trans and I have no reason to doubt him. I am taking the car to my cousin's shop next week so he can check it out on a lift.

Here is a pic of a VIN plate I found on the inside front of the front door. My cousin knows where to look for I.D. plates so I will know more after he checks it out. From this VIN plate the car is for sure a real RS.
VIN# 124377N213416
Attached Images
 
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.