Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Claying?

Will somebody please explain what claying does, My dad hasn't ever heard of it and I can't explain it to him because I don't really know either, will you also recommend some wax to use on the black camaro with vinyl stripes? Thanks in advance I appreciate it!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS SOLD
Claying removes surface contaminants from the paint such as rail dust, paint over spray, and environmental garbage that settles into your clear coat. Basically all the stuff that keeps your paint from feeling nice and smooth. Waxing over that stuff isn't really a great idea. I know people that will wash and wax their cars and then complain that the paint still isn't smooth. That is what happens when you don't clay first.
As far as a good wax. I know there are plenty out there, so I'll just tell you what I have had good experiences with. I have a black camaro as well. On the low end, Adam's buttery is pretty decent. I typically use Adam's Americana when I do wax my car. I've heard good things about the Blackfire line as well, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
I recently stripped everything off and used Wolf's Hard Body nano sealant, and I can't say enough good things about it. If you are going to do something like that though, I would recommend polishing it out (if needed) first to get rid of your swirls and imperfections. Wolf's HB has pretty decent scratch resistant properties, and it beads and sheets water like no other. It also keeps a deep gloss on the paint without having to add a wax over it. Makes it much easier to keep a black car clean, and will make your car washes much easier. Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Go look at a clay bar kit in a store, everything you need to know right there on the box.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
On the low end, Adam's buttery is pretty decent. I typically use Adam's Americana when I do wax my car.
Don't waste time or money on Adam's Buttery.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Claying removes surface contaminants from the paint such as rail dust, paint over spray, and environmental garbage that settles into your clear coat. Basically all the stuff that keeps your paint from feeling nice and smooth. Waxing over that stuff isn't really a great idea. I know people that will wash and wax their cars and then complain that the paint still isn't smooth. That is what happens when you don't clay first.
As far as a good wax. I know there are plenty out there, so I'll just tell you what I have had good experiences with. I have a black camaro as well. On the low end, Adam's buttery is pretty decent. I typically use Adam's Americana when I do wax my car. I've heard good things about the Blackfire line as well, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
I recently stripped everything off and used Wolf's Hard Body nano sealant, and I can't say enough good things about it. If you are going to do something like that though, I would recommend polishing it out (if needed) first to get rid of your swirls and imperfections. Wolf's HB has pretty decent scratch resistant properties, and it beads and sheets water like no other. It also keeps a deep gloss on the paint without having to add a wax over it. Makes it much easier to keep a black car clean, and will make your car washes much easier. Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Very nice post.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Don't waste time or money on Adam's Buttery.
Agreed. It's the red headed stepchild of their LSP lineup and serves no discernible purpose.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Very nice post.

Thanks