Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
ericgrabosky
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North California
Posts: 30
Car got keyed... Any suggestions?

So I came outside this morning to find that some kind person walking down the street was bored and decided to key my car. Needless to say I'm not too happy. It's gotta be at least 6-7 feet long. Any suggestions as to ideas on how to try myself to work it before I have to file a claim with my insurance? If it gets worse so be it then ill claim it but it doesn't hurt to try right?
Attached Images
 
ericgrabosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,235
This is a great time to practice wetsanding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
This is a great time to practice wetsanding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
+1
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,601
I feel like you would be able to polish most of that out. Or at least, make it look way way less visible.

I know a few times when I've worked on scratches like that, I didn't think they would come out good, but they came out amazing.

I would try polishing before wetsanding, and then worst case scenario, work it out with the insurance agency
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I feel like you would be able to polish most of that out. Or at least, make it look way way less visible.

I know a few times when I've worked on scratches like that, I didn't think they would come out good, but they came out amazing.

I would try polishing before wetsanding, and then worst case scenario, work it out with the insurance agency
I agree. It looks like a lot of it from the door panel forward is shallow enough to knock a lot of it out with a compound. I don't think polishing is gonna do much for the rear quarter, that looks pretty gnarly.

But you're right. Always try to polish first. Can't hurt, and it might surprise you. Break out some M101 and go to town.
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
trm2
 
Drives: '13 Volt & '84 Vette
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 282
That would be a Comp claim for insurance. You would pay your deductible, but the claim shouldn't raise your rates. The disclaimer here is North Carolina. With the facility setting the rates and ceded business, etc. you will want to figure out who is actually insuring you, and if it is the facility, check them. (North Carolina is a different beast with insurance companies)
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Pro Stock John
Writer
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,976
I wouldn't work on it until you have a handle on what your insurance would do.

Sorry dude that sucks.

I recently used Meguiar products to reduce and remove scratches.
__________________
PROJECT HEAVY CHEVY
Camaro Now: Mods for the Masses Part I | Part II
13.15@106 1.95 | 100% Stock
12.37@112 1.85 | Headers, Cats | 555R DR | CAI | UDP | Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | +NT05R 18s | + Circle D 3200
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s | +Race Star 17x7s
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR AirRam Manifold | Powerbond UDP | 3.91s
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
stlrammer

 
stlrammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA
Posts: 1,962
I'd polish (not wax) to get it out but if it's remaining I would give this a try over a small section of the scratch and see what it looks like. If results are good then finish the repair.

https://www.fixitsale.com/?MID=1288338
__________________
stlrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
mc_acoustic

 
Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
I'd polish (not wax) to get it out but if it's remaining I would give this a try over a small section of the scratch and see what it looks like. If results are good then finish the repair.

https://www.fixitsale.com/?MID=1288338

I thought those pens were huge scams?

http://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-S13-Cl.../dp/B001P5TDM0

Look at those "AMAZING" reviews
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
ericgrabosky
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North California
Posts: 30
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My arm will be sore tomorrow from trying to polish it out. After I did the best I could with the polish took it to a body shop that quoted me almost 2K for it. Luckily my comprehensive is low and trm2 you're right, my insurance agent said it won't affect my premium as it was vandalism and no one was driving it. Still, it's amazing that 2 seconds of a key can cost so much :(
ericgrabosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Camaro.Dan
 
Camaro.Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
I thought those pens were huge scams?

http://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-S13-Cl.../dp/B001P5TDM0

Look at those "AMAZING" reviews
I have one of these, it depends on what color the body paint is.. worked well on silver but on black it created some new scratches. honestly porter cable it all the way, the flex porter cable from adamspolishes.com worked amazing for me with any scratch
__________________
Camaro.Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgrabosky View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My arm will be sore tomorrow from trying to polish it out. After I did the best I could with the polish took it to a body shop that quoted me almost 2K for it. Luckily my comprehensive is low and trm2 you're right, my insurance agent said it won't affect my premium as it was vandalism and no one was driving it. Still, it's amazing that 2 seconds of a key can cost so much :(
If you are working on it by hand you might as well just skip trying. Camaro clear is hard to correct by machine let alone your hands.
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.