Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
FLOWMASTER
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,465
New Camaro - Now need Detailing/cleaning suplies. HELP!

Got my new 2013 Camaro just over a week ago. Beautiful off of the lot. Shining and glistening sharp black in the sun.

I garage my car, but unfortunately I live in the Northwest. The positive is we don't get snow, the negative is we have a crap load of pollen and it rains.

Question is, if I am wanting to build an arsenal of cleaning supplies for my car, where do I start?

What are the "must-haves" in the tool kit if you will. Links would be handy, if not, I'm sure I can always find on Amazon.

I know black is super high maintenance, but nothing looks better IMO when it is clean and shining.
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Al C.
 
Al C.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 673
Read:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
dkp2LT


 
dkp2LT's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 GT/CS, '10 Flex
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO & Del Mar, CA
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Probably the best overview you're going to get. I've learned a ton reading that thread along with threads by Junkman & the guys from Adams. I had a PC and a few supplies but figured out much of what I had learned in my 50 years was wrong. Now my 2 DD's and the Camaro are being treated correctly - and boy does it show!

In reality spent an extra $300 or so over the winter but it's been worth it.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Besides following the quoted thread (it's great) I'd suggest keeping a coat of sealant and a couple coats of wax on AT ALL TIMES.

I wish I had done this from day one. I just learned this "way of life" after 6 months with a black convertible.

It makes washing very easy. In the case of dust/pollen it also means you can use a blower to get rid of the stuff so you do not have to touch/wipe the paint.

"Minimize Touches" is the gospel I live by now.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Probably the best overview you're going to get. I've learned a ton reading that thread along with threads by Junkman & the guys from Adams. I had a PC and a few supplies but figured out much of what I had learned in my 50 years was wrong. Now my 2 DD's and the Camaro are being treated correctly - and boy does it show!

In reality spent an extra $300 or so over the winter but it's been worth it.
I get it, but that list is overwhelming. What are the initial "must haves". I don't have $300 to spend on detailing stuff right now...
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,310
Car shampoo, something to wash with (hint.... mitt), something to dry with (hint... waffle weave drying towel), and buckets. Those are the absolute essentials. You want to dress your tires, then you obviously need something to clean them with (hint... all purpose cleaner), and something to dress them with (hint... tire dressing). Oh and you're going to want to do windows too right? So what do you need? A window cleaner and a towel to do the cleaning with
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Car shampoo, something to wash with (hint.... mitt), something to dry with (hint... waffle weave drying towel), and buckets. Those are the absolute essentials. You want to dress your tires, then you obviously need something to clean them with (hint... all purpose cleaner), and something to dress them with (hint... tire dressing). Oh and you're going to want to do windows too right? So what do you need? A window cleaner and a towel to do the cleaning with
LOL. Thanks!

I've obviously washed cars before in the past, but wanted to make sure I get the "good stuff" if you will for this car. Wasn't trying to come across helpless...

Thanks for your help though
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Besides following the quoted thread (it's great) I'd suggest keeping a coat of sealant and a couple coats of wax on AT ALL TIMES.

I wish I had done this from day one. I just learned this "way of life" after 6 months with a black convertible.

It makes washing very easy. In the case of dust/pollen it also means you can use a blower to get rid of the stuff so you do not have to touch/wipe the paint.

"Minimize Touches" is the gospel I live by now.
What sealant and wax is recommended? I am used to buying my stuff from Autozone or some auto parts store which I know is never the best, and sometimes borderline crap.
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Car shampoo, something to wash with (hint.... mitt), something to dry with (hint... waffle weave drying towel), and buckets. Those are the absolute essentials. You want to dress your tires, then you obviously need something to clean them with (hint... all purpose cleaner), and something to dress them with (hint... tire dressing). Oh and you're going to want to do windows too right? So what do you need? A window cleaner and a towel to do the cleaning with
This but in addition detail spray and either a wax or sealant are not optional. You also need microfiber buffing towels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes



 
Adam's Polishes's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,996
My top must haves:

1) Quality wash supplies. Good wash pads, a quality pH neutral soap, grit guards, and high quality drying towels are key. Most swirl marks and damage are introduced in the wash process and its the one thing you'll do more frequently than anything else on your car so getting that dialed in early is key.

2) Wax or Sealant. Even an inexpensive wax will do as a temp fix until you get setup with higher quality sealant or wax for protection. Doesn't do much good to keep the car clean if its not protected by something.

3) Detail Spray/Waterless Wash. You need something for quick touchups for sure. You don't want to wash the car every single day to remove dust, smudges, etc. Pair with this some quality microfiber towels (and no, the bag of 100 towels for $18 at costco isn't quality microfiber)

4) Dressings. Nothing worse than a clean car with dry, crusty rubber and trim. A high quality water based dressing for your tires and trim. Of course you should have a cleaner to remove old dressings and mold release from the tires as well so you get the biggest benefit.

More than happy to get into specific product recommendations from our line if you like (link below), but wouldn't want the natives accusing me of recruiting for the "Adam's Army"

Adam's Premium Car Care - The GM Officially Licensed Car Care Products of Corvette & Camaro
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
What sealant and wax is recommended? I am used to buying my stuff from Autozone or some auto parts store which I know is never the best, and sometimes borderline crap.
go to a boat shop and get some collinite 845: good price, insanely long lasting, and reliable.
__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
My top must haves:

1) Quality wash supplies. Good wash pads, a quality pH neutral soap, grit guards, and high quality drying towels are key. Most swirl marks and damage are introduced in the wash process and its the one thing you'll do more frequently than anything else on your car so getting that dialed in early is key.

2) Wax or Sealant. Even an inexpensive wax will do as a temp fix until you get setup with higher quality sealant or wax for protection. Doesn't do much good to keep the car clean if its not protected by something.

3) Detail Spray/Waterless Wash. You need something for quick touchups for sure. You don't want to wash the car every single day to remove dust, smudges, etc. Pair with this some quality microfiber towels (and no, the bag of 100 towels for $18 at costco isn't quality microfiber)

4) Dressings. Nothing worse than a clean car with dry, crusty rubber and trim. A high quality water based dressing for your tires and trim. Of course you should have a cleaner to remove old dressings and mold release from the tires as well so you get the biggest benefit.

More than happy to get into specific product recommendations from our line if you like (link below), but wouldn't want the natives accusing me of recruiting for the "Adam's Army"

Adam's Premium Car Care - The GM Officially Licensed Car Care Products of Corvette & Camaro
Looks like the makings for a MUST HAVE KIT... you can send me the first one and I'll test it for y'all.
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
What sealant and wax is recommended? I am used to buying my stuff from Autozone or some auto parts store which I know is never the best, and sometimes borderline crap.
I can discuss what I use if you want to PM me.

The thread referenced above lists the recommended products of a respected (at least by me) professional detailer. You really can't go wrong there.

Unfortunately if you want your Camaro to stay looking good, Autozone is probably only suited for buying wash buckets and lubricants. Don't get me wrong it is a fine store. It's just that your new ride deserves top tier stuff.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.