Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
White smoke from exhaust

My knowledge of the LFX is limited, but I know a lot about the LLT (my previous car).

My wife's 2013 1LT just hit the 1500 mile mark or so. She called me this morning to complain about white smoke continuing to come out of the exhaust for the past week and that she can smell exhaust. I already called the dealership and setup an appointment to have it looked at. From day one she has drove it like she stole it (hard break in). I was just about to have her get her first free oil change done as well as few other things at the 1500 mile mark.

I will be taking a look at the car this afternoon to see what exactly is going on.

I am guessing it is due to a leak from coolant or a seal not properly seating during break in.

Any ideas?
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
My knowledge of the LFX is limited, but I know a lot about the LLT (my previous car).

My wife's 2013 1LT just hit the 1500 mile mark or so. She called me this morning to complain about white smoke continuing to come out of the exhaust for the past week and that she can smell exhaust. I already called the dealership and setup an appointment to have it looked at. From day one she has drove it like she stole it (hard break in). I was just about to have her get her first free oil change done as well as few other things at the 1500 mile mark.

I will be taking a look at the car this afternoon to see what exactly is going on.

I am guessing it is due to a leak from coolant or a seal not properly seating during break in.

Any ideas?
If it is continuing after warmup, then I think you are right. White usually means water. Hope that's not the case, but at least it's under warranty. Good luck man.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Just thought of something. Did you put a catch can on it?
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
If it is continuing after warmup, then I think you are right. White usually means water. Hope that's not the case, but at least it's under warranty. Good luck man.
Yea I am hoping it is an easy fix and not something major. She loves her car. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Just thought of something. Did you put a catch can on it?
Not yet. Was going to after the 1500 mile break in just like my LLT which did not burn a single drop of oil and the IM was super clean.

I do know once this is fixed her car is getting a bottle of Chevron Techron. Got it on sale at Oreilly's.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Yea I am hoping it is an easy fix and not something major. She loves her car. Thanks!



Not yet. Was going to after the 1500 mile break in just like my LLT which did not burn a single drop of oil and the IM was super clean.

I do know once this is fixed her car is getting a bottle of Chevron Techron. Got it on sale at Oreilly's.
Oh well. I was thinking with the drastic temperature changes and all the humidity we've been having the catch can might have been full and water was getting pushed into the intake. Good luck man, hope it is an easy fix and she's not without the car for very long.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Oh well. I was thinking with the drastic temperature changes and all the humidity we've been having the catch can might have been full and water was getting pushed into the intake. Good luck man, hope it is an easy fix and she's not without the car for very long.
Yea that could have been a possibility. Thanks!

I took a look at it last night. Oil smelled normal and looked normal. The car run fine and coolant temp stayed below 200. I couldn't see anything at first then I turned it off and went to check. It took a little while to show up apparently, but I got to see it. It is a faint white smoke that doesn't slow down or change. I took a video of it with the car off and will post it up soon. I checked the mufflers and the holes for water looked to be blocked so I am guessing that is the cause. I will still let the dealer look it over and have the video to show them as evidence.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Yea that could have been a possibility. Thanks!

I took a look at it last night. Oil smelled normal and looked normal. The car run fine and coolant temp stayed below 200. I couldn't see anything at first then I turned it off and went to check. It took a little while to show up apparently, but I got to see it. It is a faint white smoke that doesn't slow down or change. I took a video of it with the car off and will post it up soon. I checked the mufflers and the holes for water looked to be blocked so I am guessing that is the cause. I will still let the dealer look it over and have the video to show them as evidence.
Ah, that's probably it. Rhino took his mufflers off and they were full of water because the drain was plugged. Suprised her's are already plugged with so few miles on it.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Ah, that's probably it. Rhino took his mufflers off and they were full of water because the drain was plugged. Suprised her's are already plugged with so few miles on it.
Yea I am 90% sure now that is why. The passenger side muffler had something in it blocking it (like a nail or something hanging) and the driver side muffler had stuff in it.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Yea I am 90% sure now that is why. The passenger side muffler had something in it blocking it (like a nail or something hanging) and the driver side muffler had stuff in it.
Hmm, think you have an opportunity to get some MRT-2s for her birthday. She'll love you for it and maybe get you a mod for your birthday.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Hmm, think you have an opportunity to get some MRT-2s for her birthday. She'll love you for it and maybe get you a mod for your birthday.
I already bought her birthday gift in advance, lol. But perhaps it can be an anniversary gift

My birthday was this past Monday and she keeps asking me what mod I want. I dunno, lol.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Belated Happy Birthday!

Well, his and her's exhaust sounds like a good anniversary present, but I'm not sure what all you have on your's right now.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Belated Happy Birthday!

Well, his and her's exhaust sounds like a good anniversary present, but I'm not sure what all you have on your's right now.
Thank-you sir!

Yes it does. My SS is stock. I just got her April 5th of this year so nothing yet. I have a catch can and technostalgia tail lights waiting to be installed. I will ask her and see what she says. I know what exhaust setup I want though. SW 3" retro catback with power connect to SW 2" LT's. For hers I am thinking MRT 2's with resonator delete.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Thank-you sir!

Yes it does. My SS is stock. I just got her April 5th of this year so nothing yet. I have a catch can and technostalgia tail lights waiting to be installed. I will ask her and see what she says. I know what exhaust setup I want though. SW 3" retro catback with power connect to SW 2" LT's. For hers I am thinking MRT 2's with resonator delete.
Sounds like a great combo for your car. Look at the SLP Loudmouth 2 too. I think they look just as good as the SW 3" and I think they are a bit cheaper.

For her's, think about the resonated X-pipe instead of a resonator delete. My experience has been the drone will drive you crazy with out the resonators on the V6.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Sounds like a great combo for your car. Look at the SLP Loudmouth 2 too. I think they look just as good as the SW 3" and I think they are a bit cheaper.

For her's, think about the resonated X-pipe instead of a resonator delete. My experience has been the drone will drive you crazy with out the resonators on the V6.
I really like the sound of that combo. I will check that out too. I want a 3" because I plan on FI and a minimum of 600hp down the road.

My brother (LLT) has a MRT 2 and resonator delete. He loves it and says there really isn't any drone or if there is it isn't noticeable most of the time. I like the sound too. Perhaps a res delete with a res x-pipe?
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.