Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
crazycowboy12

Drives: I don't have a car, just stolen
Salvage Title

So I am still looking to get a Camaro but I keep coming across Salvage Titles!! i live in California so AAA doesn't have full coverage on salvage cars I think. Is there a way to completely remove that title so I can get full coverage. The insurance is the only thing that scares me about salvage... and whether or not the camaro was fixed properly. But as far as I know it can't be done? Right?
crazycowboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
freefallin2005

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
Once the title is salvage it stays salvage for life. Even with a federal inspection so you can drive and register it, it will still be salvage.People used to buy a salvage car say in kansas then register it in ohio where the dont use salvage then to another state to "wash" the title but now they are followed by vin number not the title
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin2005 View Post
Once the title is salvage it stays salvage for life. Even with a federal inspection so you can drive and register it, it will still be salvage.People used to buy a salvage car say in kansas then register it in ohio where the dont use salvage then to another state to "wash" the title but now they are followed by vin number not the title
Ohio definitely has salvage titles. I've bought many salvage title cars over the years and most of them came from Ohio. In Kentucky, once the registration process is completed on a salvage title car, the title is changed from salvage to rebuilt.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycowboy12 View Post
So I am still looking to get a Camaro but I keep coming across Salvage Titles!! i live in California so AAA doesn't have full coverage on salvage cars I think. Is there a way to completely remove that title so I can get full coverage. The insurance is the only thing that scares me about salvage... and whether or not the camaro was fixed properly. But as far as I know it can't be done? Right?
Did you check with another insurance company? I'm driving a former salvage title car as we speak and I have full coverage on it. I know a lady who couldn't get full coverage on her car because it was a former salvage title car, but she was with a different insurance company. So, at least in this state, that rule is by the insurance companies and not the state. I'm not sure about California though.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
I would pass on a salvage title car .
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Rod Knock

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
I would pass on a salvage title car .
He didn't ask for advise on buying a car with a salvage title - in fact he stated he is OK with it. He's looking for advise on getting insurance.

I've owned a couple of salvage title cars over the years and had zero issues with either of them. I lived in Kentucky at the time but State Farm gave me full coverage.
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Jbcamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
I thought you could rebuild the car, repair blah whatever... Then get a clean title on it? I'm pretty sure you can because one of my cars were a previous salvage , it was rebuilt now has a clean title. Didn't cost too much to repair in the first place.. Not toooo much is what I'm saying, it just depends
Jbcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Knock View Post
He didn't ask for advise on buying a car with a salvage title - in fact he stated he is OK with it. He's looking for advise on getting insurance.

I've owned a couple of salvage title cars over the years and had zero issues with either of them. I lived in Kentucky at the time but State Farm gave me full coverage.
I agree with you. I've owned a lot of them and I've actually gotten better service out of the salvage ones than the new ones I've bought.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Demon 1LE
Cool Story, Bro !

Drives: The Scarecrow
Shop around on insurance. Its insurable.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcamaro View Post
I thought you could rebuild the car, repair blah whatever... Then get a clean title on it? I'm pretty sure you can because one of my cars were a previous salvage , it was rebuilt now has a clean title. Didn't cost too much to repair in the first place.. Not toooo much is what I'm saying, it just depends
Maybe you can get a clean title for a salvage car in Mississippi, but I don't think you can in most states. If I buy a car that's been wrecked, I want it to have a salvage title, for two reasons. 1 If it has a salvage title, it's going to be cheaper, and that's the whole point of buying a wrecked car in the first place. 2 If I sell it, it's going to be a whole harder for the buyer to claim that he didn't know that it had been wrecked, if salvage is emblazoned across the front of the title in bold print.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
1sick7

Drives: 2012 camaro convertible ss
tripple AAA has a policy with will pay you what the car is currently worth .

nothing wrong with salvage cars
1sick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
crazycowboy12

Drives: I don't have a car, just stolen
yeah but how much are they going to think my (pretendinding if I did buy a salvage camaro) 2012 Camaro ss that I just payed 20,000 for with like 25,000 miles is going to be worth
crazycowboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
In Arizona, I know there is a way to get a salvage title to "rebuilt" title, but frankly is still considered the same lesser title.

From everyone's experience, what would you say a salvage title does to the value of the car? Take off 30% of the KBB value (no damage)? More?

Currently looking at a salvage title Camaro, (actually a former GM partner car, no accident) with quite a few upgrades but scared of the implications of the salvage title in the future. KBB says normal value is $25,000 and car has roughly $25,000 worth of mods. Thoughts?
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Salvage is shit imo.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote