Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
adamx

Drives: 2010 camaro
touch up paint, dried too quick, not smooth, not blending, HELP

I had a couple of small gashes, actually very shallow dings with paint scratched. Got touch up paint, had done a lot of (house) painting, but this was not what I expected at all. The stuff didn't go on smooth at all, and dried on with a noticeable texture. The color doesn't blend (even though the car doesn't get a lot of sun/UV exposure. It's the right color, just not blending.

Plus the texture probably causes part of the problem.

Should I try to sand it smooth, buff it? (I don't even know what buffing is sadly). I'm at a loss. And it's one of those things where I feel this crushing feeling on my chest because I feel I've really screwed the pooch.

Suggestions welcome, outside of expensive professional help, because I realize that option is always open.
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
You should be able to wipe off most of it with rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner within a reasonable amount of time. Touch up paint doesn't really get permanent until overnight a lot of times. Get out there and try that ASAP. If that doesn't work, you have to sand it down, then polish the sanding marks out with a machine polisher.

This isn't something I'd recommend you do unless you're extremely comfortable. What could be a $100 repair now could turn into a $400 respray really quick if you're not a competent wetsander.

Can you post some pictures please? That would help immensely.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I've used Goof Off before on the factory paint to remove my bothed touch up jobs. It seems to work even if the paint is a few days old.

Actually come to think of it, on my camry I had a spot that was several years old that I was able to lift off with goof off. It doesn't seem to attack the factory paint as that is baked and cured onto the metal.

Also what color is your car? I can say this, if it is silver or gray, I've not been able to master that. You have to stop at "good enough"
Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
adamx

I guess it wasn't set up to notify me of replies, so it's been sitting on there since I posted.

What will it look like if I just fine sand it lightly to be smooth?

I may post pics later. it looks like a big dark smudge on my car now. For now I'll try goo gone on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You should be able to wipe off most of it with rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner within a reasonable amount of time. Touch up paint doesn't really get permanent until overnight a lot of times. Get out there and try that ASAP. If that doesn't work, you have to sand it down, then polish the sanding marks out with a machine polisher.

This isn't something I'd recommend you do unless you're extremely comfortable. What could be a $100 repair now could turn into a $400 respray really quick if you're not a competent wetsander.

Can you post some pictures please? That would help immensely.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
adamx

ok, goof off is miraculous. I still had some from like 4 years ago, put a little on a paper towel (yes I know I should use cloth), rubbed real light and it immediately came off.

All except the paint covering the scratch. So now, without being 2 inches away, it's perfect looking. So happy. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamx View Post
ok, goof off is miraculous. I still had some from like 4 years ago, put a little on a paper towel (yes I know I should use cloth), rubbed real light and it immediately came off.

All except the paint covering the scratch. So now, without being 2 inches away, it's perfect looking. So happy. Thanks for the advice.

Yes it is good stuff. I've gotten pretty good results by waiting a day or so, and using either quixx or scratchx as well.

I was surprised I was able to do it on Red Jewel which is a tri-coat paint.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
adamx

Dang, tried this again and for whatever reason, the goo gone didn't take the stuff off. I don't know what was different this time. Maybe the temperature? These effing people dinging nice cars... they do this crap on purpose. Makes me murderous.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I've sprayed brake clean on a towel and it worked great.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
adamx

any other ideas or notion why the same thing that worked the first time now isn't? I can't get the excess touchup paint off without sanding and that's after less than 2 minutes after applying.

btw, anyone else having the problem where every week some D-bag scrapes up your car? I don't get it. I try to park far away from others, but they seek it out. I now have like 5 spots of vandalism on my camaro.

Last edited by adamx; 06-17-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
any other ideas or notion why the same thing that worked the first time now isn't? I can't get the excess touchup paint off without sanding and that's after less than 2 minutes after applying.

btw, anyone else having the problem where every week some D-bag scrapes up your car? I don't get it. I try to park far away from others, but they seek it out. I now have like 5 spots of vandalism on my camaro.
Did you try the the brake cleaner on a rag?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #11
Ron71

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:

As stated above, use a little lacquer thinner on a soft cloth. It should easily remove the touch up paint. What touch up paint are you using? It may be drying out if old, and will not apply properly as it is too thick. The paint should flow out smoothly. Do not apply if is too hot outside or if directly in the sun.
Ron71 is offline   Reply With Quote