Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Trunk chip?

I just noticed this chip today while painting my rear bowtie. Anybody out there have a similar chip in that position? I barely use the trunk and I don't slam it so I don't know how it happened. The ends of the trunklid do come down at the corners so I guess it somehow rubbed there at some point?

I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer but i dont want them to just put a touch up pen to it. What would an appropriate fix consist of (re-spray the area and blend?)
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLOW 1 of Only 28
Mask the area off and clean it real good and touch it up with a spray can of rally yellow nobody but you will ever notice

skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Touch up paint building up higher than it originally was. Then when it's dry, wet sand it with 1200 grit. You"ll never be able to see it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Looks like a likely place where a drip would have occurred and thus broke free........
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I'll add on to what Cheveey57 wrote. Go Autozone and get a can of polishing compound. Now take a rag with some compound rub the area with using a slight pressure. You get lucky a body if to take a cup with a body shop paint shop might give you some.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Looks like a likely place where a drip would have occurred and thus broke free........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I'll add on to what Cheveey57 wrote. Go Autozone and get a can of polishing compound. Now take a rag with some compound rub the area with using a slight pressure. You get lucky a body if to take a cup with a body shop paint shop might give you some.
+1

Make sure to decontaminate the area first before applying touch up paint + clear coat.

Claying / polishing should suffice...make sure to allow sufficient time for the touch up paint to dry before applying the clearcoat..
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote