Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Exclamation Clutch shuddering when starting in 1st?

Hi,

I have just started experiencing shuddering while engaging the clutch in from a dead stop in first gear. It has same kind of feel as a bad/warped pressure plate/flywheel. I have 23000 miles on my car and I'm driving it as I always have. The clutch is normal when fully engaged and its smooth and quiet with no slippage through all the other gears and its not consistent.

The only thing that is different, as of late, is the temperature has been over 90 degrees and it does seem to happen more when outside temp is 80+...

Before I run off to the dealer, has anybody else experienced a shuddering starting in first? And has it started or does it happen when the air temp gets high?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Not to get off topic, but no shuttering, but I've had it slip twice, so I'm going to dealer and let them look at it

Man you've put some miles on that thing, I've got 9500 and I thought I might be high up there
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Not to get off topic, but no shuttering, but I've had it slip twice, so I'm going to dealer and let them look at it

Man you've put some miles on that thing, I've got 9500 and I thought I might be high up there

Mine has slipped a few times as well. Thought it was just me not fully engaging it.

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
jeez 23k miles on a 13? my 12 is almost to 23k and i drive up north every couple months. no clutch issues here besides its a little noisey and its pretty damn hot down here
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Hi,

I have just started experiencing shuddering while engaging the clutch in from a dead stop in first gear. It has same kind of feel as a bad/warped pressure plate/flywheel. I have 23000 miles on my car and I'm driving it as I always have. The clutch is normal when fully engaged and its smooth and quiet with no slippage through all the other gears and its not consistent.

The only thing that is different, as of late, is the temperature has been over 90 degrees and it does seem to happen more when outside temp is 80+...

Before I run off to the dealer, has anybody else experienced a shuddering starting in first? And has it started or does it happen when the air temp gets high?

Thanks!
Sincerest apologies about your clutch shuddering. That sounds like a very displeasing concern. Once you decide to take it to a dealership, I would like to assist by scheduling the diagnosis for you. Please keep me updated on the shuddering and feel free to PM anytime regarding this concern.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Vroom

Thanks for your responses. I haven't had the clutch slip. Its actually been buttery smooth all this time without any noise or problems until now. The car was built to drive and it hasn't disappointed. Mine is a DD, but its mostly recreational driving. Lot of nice windy roads around here for the ZL1 to chew up

And thanks Will, but taking the car to the dealer terrifies me. I have yet taken any car to a chevy dealer without it coming back worse then when it went in and I've tried all at some point.
As an example, I just took my ZL1 to get the transmission oil changed and they didn't tighten down the fill bolt, which leaked all over my driveway...I had to lift my own car, check the fluid, tighten the bolt and take it back...might as well done it myself...
so it truly scares the crap out of me to take it there to have the transmission removed...I'm not sure who I trust to take the car to this time
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
i think i know what you are talking about from what you described, but like mmarx82 I figured it was my own error.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Thanks for your responses. I haven't had the clutch slip. Its actually been buttery smooth all this time without any noise or problems until now. The car was built to drive and it hasn't disappointed. Mine is a DD, but its mostly recreational driving. Lot of nice windy roads around here for the ZL1 to chew up

And thanks Will, but taking the car to the dealer terrifies me. I have yet taken any car to a chevy dealer without it coming back worse then when it went in and I've tried all at some point.
As an example, I just took my ZL1 to get the transmission oil changed and they didn't tighten down the fill bolt, which leaked all over my driveway...I had to lift my own car, check the fluid, tighten the bolt and take it back...might as well done it myself...
so it truly scares the crap out of me to take it there to have the transmission removed...I'm not sure who I trust to take the car to this time
Oh man!

I'm sorry you experienced those issues. While I definitely understand your position, if you ever change your mind, I will happily compile of a list of certified GM dealerships in your area. Additionally, if you have any general inquiries don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
Vroom

[UPDATE: SOLVED]

Hey, thought I'd give an update for future generations.

Turns out the shuddering was being caused by the fluid being low. I didn't think much of it since it's only down by a handful of millimeters, maybe 1/8th to 1/4? The cap seems to allow fluid to seep out. I'm a little surprised that such a little amount caused it, but its been a week since I topped off without the problem. So if you feel a subtle shimmering/shudder while releasing the clutch pedal, you might want to top your fluid off even if it doesn't seem like it needs it...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Good to know, I appreciate the update

Tags
clutch shudder