Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #76
Jbakovich
 
Drives: 2011 Black LS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lemont Illinois
Posts: 104
im 18 got my baby at 16. I'm extremely responsible and take care of my car to the fullest. Even i mess around in the car sometimes. The V8 would be nice but its a lot of power for a 16 year old and you dont want other ppl to get jelous. you know him better though.
Jbakovich is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #77
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyt2528 View Post
If you're not liking the answers, maybe you shouldn't have asked the question.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting

Last edited by 911medic; 05-05-2013 at 10:36 AM.
911medic is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #78
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyt2528 View Post
I actually made him pay for it. I told him since he was a little kid that he was getting a new car. I am retired military and made many tours to Iraq which separated us. I feel like this is a way to repay him because I want too! I'm not getting it to spoil him... I am getting him it because he deserves it. He has had a job for 3 years now mowing yards. Saving money for gas, insurance and any extras he wants. Even if I was buying the car for spoiling him I don't see the big deal. You guys who are making comments like he is not deserving it because he didnt work it are just jealous and I don't see how this mean anything.
Here's what you said in your opening post: "My son is turning 16 this October and I really want to get him a new car". Now you say HE is paying for it out of money (apparently a LOT of money) he has saved (and good for him) - but that's much different than YOU getting him the car. His money = showing much more responsibility, but I still say a letting him get a Camaro for his first car is stupid and asking for trouble. There is so much to learn about driving in many different situations.

Obviously, you do what you want. Just don't fool yourself into thinking he's not going to go crazy in such a powerful car when the other boys and girls are taunting him to show off. He will.

And I am not jealous in the least. My first car (at 17) was a '63 Studebaker I rescued from a field and I beat that thing mercilessly. THANK GOD it was only a 289 w/ 210 HP! Still, I was one of very few kids in my school who had his very own car. Of course, I was completely responsible for ALL related expenses.

Lastly - I sincerely thank you for your military service to our country, and if your son is as mature as you say he is... you don't need to let him get a hot car to make up for your absences. He should understand the sacrifices you have made for him (and all of us) already.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #79
Thrillz


 
Thrillz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,548
No way in hell my 16 year old son gets a SS camaro. Seriously buy him something safe and boring to drive to get him some seat time and experience. When he's a few years older and more mature consider upgrading to a camaro but not as a first car.
__________________
Quote of the year, from 6.1hemi:
"I just wanted to type some junk cause I am having some beers and I really like cars."
Thrillz is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #80
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer
 
Dan1028's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Lastly - I sincerely thank you for your military service to our country, and if your son is as mature as you say he is... you don't need to let him get a hot car to make up for your absences. He should understand the sacrifices you have made for him (and all of us) already.
Quoted for truth, 100% agree.
__________________
Current Vehicle: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Past Vehicle: 2001 Honda Prelude SS

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #81
heRS


 
heRS's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyt2528 View Post
I actually made him pay for it. I told him since he was a little kid that he was getting a new car. I am retired military and made many tours to Iraq which separated us. I feel like this is a way to repay him because I want too! I'm not getting it to spoil him... I am getting him it because he deserves it. He has had a job for 3 years now mowing yards. Saving money for gas, insurance and any extras he wants. Even if I was buying the car for spoiling him I don't see the big deal. You guys who are making comments like he is not deserving it because he didnt work it are just jealous and I don't see how this mean anything.
Thank you for your service and dedication. It's obvious you love your son. However, you're the one who asked for feedback so don't get all huffy because some people are actually giving you their honest and unedited opinion.
I just hope you don't get "the visit" from a couple of LEOs that your son failed to negotiate a turn at 90 and....
__________________
Tori
click the sig pic to view my build thread


heRS is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #82
gmen09
 
gmen09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Flemington NJ
Posts: 575
Get the SS, just show him how quick it can get away from you, like go into a parking lot turn off traction control and scare him alittle.
__________________
gmen09 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #83
jd10013


 
Drives: 2012 camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: central VA
Posts: 2,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post

Obviously, you do what you want. Just don't fool yourself into thinking he's not going to go crazy in such a powerful car when the other boys and girls are taunting him to show off. He will.
+1

and also figure on him finding his way to boards like here where he'll quickly learn that if he leaves those "nannies" on just means he's less of a man and can't handle his car. won't be long before he's shutting those off to prove what a good driver he is. after all, dad wouldn't have got him the SS if couldn't handle it.
jd10013 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #84
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,547
^^^
I see what you did there...
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #85
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Prius
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Posts: 413
BUY HIM A 2SS. He is not a girl. And he will also be made fun of at school.
Bumble.Bee is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #86
stray bullitt

 
Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Lincolnshire, England
Posts: 1,021
There was a lad at our school, back in 1977, who was presented with a brand new Triumph TR7 on passing his driving test at 17, by his parents. This was a modest (by todays standards) 2 liitre, 105bhp, rear driive car, but he was the coolest kid in school for 6 or 7 months........ Sadly, he never lived to go to university, after flipping the car onto its roof.
stray bullitt is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #87
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Thank you for your service and dedication. It's obvious you love your son. However, you're the one who asked for feedback so don't get all huffy because some people are actually giving you their honest and unedited opinion.
I just hope you don't get "the visit" from a couple of LEOs that your son failed to negotiate a turn at 90 and....
why would you even put that.. not even something to joke about.


Anyway, im 17, got my car last year and i am more than happy with the 2lt.
mgaspari is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #88
Johny_RS
Proud of my 2010 RS
 
Johny_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring,TX
Posts: 66
Hey all that advice about a young kid with a Camaro is true I'm 18 I bought my car by my self with a lil help of dad (he knew the owner of the dealership I got a discount )..anyways my buddy has a 2011 2SS his 17 and a pretty chill person but when his friends tell hem to show off he goes crazy he almost crash for spending then he almost ran over a student on a parking lot showing off. I drive a 2010 RS so I'm not really crazy for power or showing off but the msg here is you can't trust a young person with a fast car.
Johny_RS is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #89
DRitchie
 
DRitchie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lawrenceville GA
Posts: 27
I had a Camaro in high school, I don't think it was a good idea, and no way would I buy such a car for my teenage driver. At that age they believe that they are invincible and will do some monumentally stupid things to demonstrate.

I do not understand, even for a minute, the mindset of any parent who would put their kids behind the wheel of such a horsepower beast....it's like handing them a loaded gun and saying "be careful pulling the trigger".

To the original poster, apologies for coming off so harsh but I have seen four news stories in my area so far this year about teenage drivers getting killed in accidents involving Camaros, Challengers, and Mustangs.....
DRitchie is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #90
Envy
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,399
Another great example of a parent buying their kids STUFF to make up for the guilt of being an absentee parent. No matter how much money you spend...you'll never be able to make up for that time you didn't spend with him...so by all means buy your kid the car that he's more likely to die in and prove what a great Dad you are. I know that sounds harsh...but a rolling blind spot is dangerous...were any of those other cars you let him drive so visually impaired?

And look at the big picture here...isn't his graduation a much more important milestone than turning 16? Because turning 16 is a given and not something he achieved or earned...but graduating HS is very important and the dropout rate among boys in their junior and senior years is creeping higher and higher.
__________________
Envy is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #91
NorCalStorm
 
NorCalStorm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 293
im 18 and got my mustang at 16. I have one speeding ticket for 77 in a 65. I did not have a job at the time so I was told I had to get one and pay back every cent or the car would be taken away and I would have to buy one on my own and pay for registration, insurance, gas, etc. So I paid her back for every cent. Not every kid is going to try to make a turn at 90 mph like in that picture above. Ive never gone over 90 mph and ive never been in an accident. however, my best friend has a toyota tacoma (a compact truck if you didnt know) and i have seen him push it to 108... another one of my friends rolled a 199somehting Jimmy because he was going 70 around a corner in a 45 zone. everybody that is saying he will only be reckless if you get him a camaro is either being ignorant or are extremely naive. It all depends on your kid, if he is reckless and crazy, he will be reckless and crazy no matter what car he has, his chances may be higher with a camaro though. however if you believe you trust him to be careful and you trust him to be responsible, then get him whatever car you want to get him. but just know that he will experiment with it like i have experimented with my mustang, but trust him to stop at 45 or 50 instead of 85 or 90... the decision is all yours.

i agree with the above post about graduation and the camaro might be a good graduation present however i also think the above post is completey idiotic and stupid because she is implying if you get your son a camaro he will drop out of high school because the drop out rate is getting higher and because its getting higher that means your son is obviously going drop out of high school and go kill someone with his camaro.. thats bulls***... he can do the same damage with a 95 accord that he could do with a camaro...
NorCalStorm is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #92
Envy
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalStorm View Post
i agree with the above post about graduation and the camaro might be a good graduation present however i also think the above post is completey idiotic and stupid because she is implying if you get your son a camaro he will drop out of high school because the drop out rate is getting higher and because its getting higher that means your son is obviously going drop out of high school and go kill someone with his camaro.. thats bulls***... he can do the same damage with a 95 accord that he could do with a camaro...
I didn't say or imply that at all. Did you pass you're reading for comprehension class??? What I said was giving him an incentive to finish HS was a good idea and then rewarding him for that achieved goal was even better...and anything else you said I was implying is absurd...lol

Clearly you're not this type...but I've had the displeasure of watching several bright straight A students get to their senior year and drop out of school for no reason other than they had no interest in going to college so why finish HS? And it had NOTHING to do with the car they drove. And check the statistics if you don't believe me...a new drivers chances of being killed in a car with over 200 hp are astronomically higher than those who aren't...period.
__________________
Envy is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #93
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Another great example of a parent buying their kids STUFF to make up for the guilt of being an absentee parent. No matter how much money you spend...you'll never be able to make up for that time you didn't spend with him...so by all means buy your kid the car that he's more likely to die in and prove what a great Dad you are. I know that sounds harsh...but a rolling blind spot is dangerous...were any of those other cars you let him drive so visually impaired?

And look at the big picture here...isn't his graduation a much more important milestone than turning 16? Because turning 16 is a given and not something he achieved or earned...but graduating HS is very important and the dropout rate among boys in their junior and senior years is creeping higher and higher.
mgaspari is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #94
queenz700xx
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 148
well if you had the eye for it also go for the SS. do it the right way the first time and dont look back. as long as you trust him
queenz700xx is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #95
jd10013


 
Drives: 2012 camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: central VA
Posts: 2,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
And check the statistics if you don't believe me...a new drivers chances of being killed in a car with over 200 hp are astronomically higher than those who aren't...period.
you don't even have to check statistics, just look at insurance rates.
jd10013 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #96
2012-1822


 
2012-1822's Avatar
 
Drives: Black ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: City of Champions, Alabama
Posts: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
THIS!

The amount of jealousy in this thread is ridiculous. If the guy has money, knows that his kid is responsible, and is willing to make his son happy, why shouldn't he buy him an SS?

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special). Btw, did you guys see that video of the Pedderized 1LE being driven by a high school kid, setting faster times than a ZL1? Take a look.

Op, if you know your son is more than capable of handling the car, obviously get him the SS.
Wow you missed the point and my other post

I'm certainly not calling you an idiot, this is me resisting the strong urge to do so:frusty.:... .. ....:suic ide:.
__________________
Check out Alabama Camaros, for Camaro enthusiasts all around Alabama https://www.facebook.com/groups/1739...group_activity

Last edited by 2012-1822; 05-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.
2012-1822 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #97
Thrillz


 
Thrillz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,548
For the ops reading pleasure http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66703
__________________
Quote of the year, from 6.1hemi:
"I just wanted to type some junk cause I am having some beers and I really like cars."
Thrillz is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #98
S3XPanther
by Odeon
 
S3XPanther's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Good question
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Wow you missed the point and my other post

I'm certainly not calling you an idiot, this is me resisting the strong urge to do so:frusty.:... .. ....:suic ide:.
Couple of things. First of all, my post was perfectly in line with yours. Your point was that every kid starts learning how to drive at a different age, and that we obviously didn't know how well the Op taught his kid how to drive. He could be more than able to handle a new SS. That's where I picked up in my post. The jealousy part was not related to your post; it was in regard to all the people claiming that they had to "earn" their car and how they started out with beaters. This is where I disagreed.

The first few posts in this thread made perfect sense, claiming that only the op knew whether or not his son was capable of respecting a new SS. Then it turned into bashing. I know the Op wanted feedback, but when people say things like "I would never buy a 16 year old such a powerful car" you're just displaying your ignorance (and idk, maybe a little jealousy because you weren't afforded a new car at that age). However, maybe I should've articulated that this should be purely on a case by case basis a little better. Do I think such a car is suitable for every teenager? Of course not. But, if the statement about being able to handle his 700hp has any truth to it, then his kid should be fine at 400hp. Of course only the Op can judge whether his son can handle AND respect 400hp. Not all teenagers are so irresponsible and influenced by peer pressure as some in this thread have claimed. Again, only the Op would know this about his son. So to make the call that the Op's son shouldn't get the car based on age alone is stupid.

In addition, it's not like he's buying his son a 700hp lambo. The SS is a relatively tame car. Not to mention a safe car, based on crash standards of course. Definitely a much safer car than most beaters. But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So you guys can keep calling me an idiot (or hinting at it) or whatever, but that's my opinion. As far as it being common sense, that's subjective. To me common sense in this case is knowing your son well enough to know whether or not he can handle such a car. However, grouping one 16 year old's abilities with other 16 year olds' abilities is just taking the easy, ignorant route out. But again, say what you will. It's ok, I have thick skin.
__________________
"It works 60% of the time, every time."

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #99
S3XPanther
by Odeon
 
S3XPanther's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Good question
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Oh come on! That was a drunk driving incident!
__________________
"It works 60% of the time, every time."

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #100
Envy
Bully Proof
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Oh come on! That was a drunk driving incident!
Ah yes...that post was pointless because we all know that anyone under 21 wouldn't dream of drinking alcohol and getting behind the wheel of a car...especially the OP's son who is very responsible...not to mention well experienced at driving on wet roads, navigating through snow and ice and handling 700 hp expertly without supervision...all well before he could legally drive.

Honestly...it's hard for me to believe that the recipient of this car could be all that level headed when his own father has displayed such a lack of good judgement time and time again.
__________________

Last edited by Envy; 05-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Envy is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.