Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
philthy

Drives: 1969 Chevelle/2010 Camaro 2LT
Unhappy Radiator cap popped off!

Driving home from work Friday and thought I smelled coolant. I was behind an old truck most the way, so thought it was him. Never got a warning light and the gauge read midrange. Got home and saw little steam wisps from under the hood.

I took the engine cover off and the radiator cap was hanging on by a thread. Coolant had sprayed up onto the underside of the engine cover and all over the front of the engine. It got thrown around a lot by getting caught up in the belt and pulleys. I looked into the radiator neck and there was a puddle of coolant in there. Pulled the dipstick from the coolant overflow tank and it read a little on the bottom (hard to read.) It does not appear that I lost a lot.

I let the engine cool down a bit, filled the overflow tank (as best I could tell, again, hard to read) and put some into the radiator neck. I only had half a container of coolant in the garage. I had to go on a road trip so drove a short distance to my parents' to borrow one of their cars for the weekend. I brought up the coolant temp on the DIC on the way there....at one point it spiked briefly to about 230, then settled down quickly to 210 or so for the short trip.

I have never touched the cap since I have owned the car new. I did recently get an oil change at the dealer, but I dont see why they would remove the cap when there is a dipstick in the overflow tank.

My question is, now that I have more coolant to put in the car, how full does the radiator have to be? The procedure in the owners manual is vague but involved...doesn't really say.

The cap fits really tight, so I dont think it will come loose again (?) Has anyone else had this problem or noticed the cap loosening up over time?

Pre-ordered November 17, 2008
Delivered May 14, 2009
philthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Oh no!

I'm sorry to hear about the radiator cap philthy. Did you have the dealership check into this while getting your oil change as well as the concern with the check engine light?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
philthy

I have not had a chance to get it to the dealer about the check engine light yet. It only appeared that one time, went to AutoZone to check the code and it showed no trouble codes stored. Car ran fine after that, so figured it was not a major issue.

I had it in for an oil change about a week before the engine code popped up and no mention was made about a coolant leak. I suspect that maybe they removed the cap to check the level and did not retighten it (I have never touched it.) I will top off the coolant and get it to the dealer hopefully this week for a checkup. I am sure it is fine...did not lose much coolant at all. Luckily I noticed it very soon.

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
philthy

This road trip was important this weekend, so my dad let me borrow his new Cadillac XTS. Beautiful car, solid, smooth, well-built, and has all kinds of bells and whistles. Cadillac has stepped up their game since his previous STS. Had a hard time handing the keys back over. Tried to negotiate a trade but he wasn't going for it.

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Sounds good!

Keep me updated on the process. Hope you enjoyed the trip.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote