Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Bill813

Drives: 69 Vette 2000 Z28 2012 2SS 2013 2SS
Unhappy Opening and closing top

Started putting top down on my new 2013 SS which was built in 1/13. The handle is real hard to turn opening and almost impossible to turn to latch.

Complaining to my service dept who called Chevrolet on this problem Was told to soak it with a hose and let it air dry to stretch it.
I soaked it two days when it was cool and let it air dry each time. I then soaked it two days when it was hot and let it dry. No difference.

Am not having this problem with 2012 SS which was built in 8/11. The top on the 2013 is 5 times as hard to latch as the 2012. I have to push down on the top with my left hand/arm and latch it with my right. The top on the 2013 seems much tighter than the one on the 2012

Anybody else having this problem??
Bill813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill813 View Post
Started putting top down on my new 2013 SS which was built in 1/13. The handle is real hard to turn opening and almost impossible to turn to latch...
Questions: Comparing the profile of your 2012 top with your 2013 top, are the frame ribs more pronounced on the '13?

Comparing the 5th Bow seal along the trunk lids, are they identical on both the '12 and the '13? Any differences?

While you are struggling with the latch, do you see any momentary message on your DIC? What does it say?

Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
I've driven 3. All the same. I'm calling B.S. something else is wrong.

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Bill813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Questions: Comparing the profile of your 2012 top with your 2013 top, are the frame ribs more pronounced on the '13?

Comparing the 5th Bow seal along the trunk lids, are they identical on both the '12 and the '13? Any differences?

While you are struggling with the latch, do you see any momentary message on your DIC? What does it say?

The frame ribs on the 13 are less pronounced than on the 12. Probably because of the top being tighter.

The bow seal along the trunk lids are identical

When closing top DIC reads Top Insecure until it is latched. Then it returns to mileage.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Perhaps a shot in the dark:

With your top down, check the top of the windshield frame. There are two "divets" (for lack of a better term) in which the metal "hooks" of the top latch into. These should have black plastic protectors in them (at least my Camaro does). Check to see if one of the "protectors" isn't misshaped / deformed. If it is, try to get it replaced.

If you haven't done so before, you may want to double-check whether the top is closing completely BEFORE you latch the top. Completely put the top up - don't latch - get out of the car and make sure that both latches are inserted in the windshield frame "divets" (for lack of a better descriptor).
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Started putting top down on my new 2013 SS which was built in 1/13. The handle is real hard to turn opening and almost impossible to turn to latch.

Complaining to my service dept who called Chevrolet on this problem Was told to soak it with a hose and let it air dry to stretch it.
I soaked it two days when it was cool and let it air dry each time. I then soaked it two days when it was hot and let it dry. No difference.

Am not having this problem with 2012 SS which was built in 8/11. The top on the 2013 is 5 times as hard to latch as the 2012. I have to push down on the top with my left hand/arm and latch it with my right. The top on the 2013 seems much tighter than the one on the 2012

Oh no!

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the top Bill813. I know that can be very frustrating for you. I would like to research these matters further so could you send me the VIN so I can thoroughly do so?

Looking forward to your reply,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Bill813

In answer to Baba: I have 2 chrome 'divits' that the top latches in to. Both cars

In answer to William @ Chevrolet: The VIN is 2G1FK3DJXD9189916. You are right is a problem, especially since this is supposed to be my wife's car and the top is too hard for her to put down and impossible for her to put up. The 2012 is much easier, but she cant drive stick. HELP
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Just picked up my new 2013 on Saturday. It is fairly tight, but not as bad as what you describe.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When you go to latch the top once it's up, there may be around 1/2 inch of daylight beween the top od the windshield and the edge of the top.

This alone is nothing to worry about.

I had a 2011 @SS/RS Vert and now I have a 2013 ZL1 Vert.
Yes the 2013 requires a bit more of a tug on the handle to pull the top down into position on the windshield to turn the handle and latch it.

The tension on the top seems to be a fine balancing act. The earlier cars had trouble with the fabric rubbing in various spots, etc.

Over the last year's , many changes were made in the top it try to address all the concerns.

In the end, it appears that too slack of the tension in the top may cause rub spots or possibly not sealing around the windows enough causing a bit of road noise to enter the cabin.

Increasing the tension seems to help it eliminate the rub marks (along with other changes that were made in the mechanism) but makes it a bit harder to close/latch the top.

If the tension is too high, you run the risk of the top being so taut that it puts too much pressure on the 5th cross rib just ahead of the rear window, causing the 5th bow to collapse or break causing large wrinkles at the raer sides of the top and a large gap between the rear edge of the top and the trunk opening.

It sounds as though perhaps your top is adjusted a bit on the tight side. Now having said that, a new top will indeed stretch just a bit with time and warm temps.

At the very least, I would take it to the dealer to show them just how tight the top appears to be. They may just decide it's normal, but at least you will have it documented at the dealer in the event that the top doesn't loosen over time and it ends up collapsing the 5th bow after all.

the top on my 2011 was replaced early on, and the dealer called in an expert from GM to show them how to repair a top and they installed/adjusted it perfectly. When I traded the car in for the ZL1, it had over 20,000 miles and the top was still great.

The 2013 ZL1 Vert now has 5,500 miles and it's top is still perfect although like you, it takes a bit of a tug to latch the top.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
2011 SS/RS top has never has been hard to close. Sounds like something may be wrong with yours - you're right, it should not be hard to close.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Mine is very difficult to close as well. I almost have to do a one-handed chin-up on the latch to pull it down. I'm have said from day one that I thought it was too tight. The dealer says it's fine. Last month, my top made a loud popping noise when going down and then wouldn't go up. It came up half way and was deformed. I had to manually pull it the rest of the way to get it latched. Worst part is it happened at a party while I was "showing off" my new car. Then it wouldn't go down again. I took it to the dealer and they found that the "driver's side strut had come disconnected" resulting in the driver's side cylinder becoming detached. They said it was a clip that was installed backwards at the factory, but I have always thought it had something to do with how tight the top is. Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  157.3 KB
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk1971 View Post
Mine is very difficult to close as well. I almost have to do a one-handed chin-up on the latch to pull it down. I'm have said from day one that I thought it was too tight. The dealer says it's fine. Last month, my top made a loud popping noise when going down and then wouldn't go up. It came up half way and was deformed. I had to manually pull it the rest of the way to get it latched. Worst part is it happened at a party while I was "showing off" my new car. Then it wouldn't go down again. I took it to the dealer and they found that the "driver's side strut had come disconnected" resulting in the driver's side cylinder becoming detached. They said it was a clip that was installed backwards at the factory, but I have always thought it had something to do with how tight the top is. Attachment 507169
Hello bwk1971,

There is never a good time to have car issues, but especially not so when showcasing your vehicle. We apologize for this issue. Were you able to get this issue corrected at the dealership on your visit?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello bwk1971,

There is never a good time to have car issues, but especially not so when showcasing your vehicle. We apologize for this issue. Were you able to get this issue corrected at the dealership on your visit?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Broken top was fixed, but not the tightness. But to be fair, I only raised the tightness issue with the sales manager, not with the service manager. Sorry for jacking. Didn't sound right, thread jacking that is.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
H0peful1

Drives: --
Quote:

Thin, not particularly strong, woman here: able to latch my 2013 top just fine.
H0peful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk1971 View Post
Broken top was fixed, but not the tightness. But to be fair, I only raised the tightness issue with the sales manager, not with the service manager. Sorry for jacking. Didn't sound right, thread jacking that is.

bwk1971,

I think I understand now. So you still have not mentioned the tightness issue to any of the service team to date? If not, we should start there and set you up with a visit back with the dealership. I can definitely help set that up for you as well.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Bill813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Oh no!

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the top Bill813. I know that can be very frustrating for you. I would like to research these matters further so could you send me the VIN so I can thoroughly do so?

Looking forward to your reply,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
William, you asked for my VIN. I gave it to you last week. Havent heard from you. Anything happening??
Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
William, you asked for my VIN. I gave it to you last week. Havent heard from you. Anything happening??
My apologies,

Could you PM me Bill?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
the top is not adjusted properly. you can see little rubber stops all inside the area of the rear window when its down. they must adjust these and other adjustments. g.m. customer service is a joke. just find a good dealer that dosent send you away when you have a legitimate issue.
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Bill813

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrykiller1 View Post
the top is not adjusted properly. you can see little rubber stops all inside the area of the rear window when its down. they must adjust these and other adjustments. g.m. customer service is a joke. just find a good dealer that dosent send you away when you have a legitimate issue.
I see the two stops inside the top well once the top is starting to go down. Are these stops adjustable?
Would this be something the dealer doesnt know about.
He is a small dealer that has only sold my two Camaro convertibles and 2 others. Plus other Camaro coupes.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
jmcknight

Drives: 2013 2SS vert CRM M6 Hurst NPP
Really tight top

I have had the same problem with my '13 vert since new 5 months ago. Have cycled it maybe a dozen times now and am just starting to see some noticeable improvement. Always thought it was just a stretching new material issue and haven't been to the dealer. You're right about strength, though. I use my left arm to hold it close and my right to close, but at 185 lbs, I'm almost out of the seat when it closes. Not my DD so it's OK.
jmcknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Cobra Kai

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS/RS VR!
I have a 2 month old 2013 ss convertible with same issue. I will probably take it in at some point to document it. I have to basically do a pull up off of the seat hanging on the latch to latch it. I'm pretty certain my wife would never be able to latch the top. I can do it but anyone other than a really strong person wouldn't be able to do it without difficulty. Not sure why
AAC Concept LED sidemarkers, red strut covers, RPI painted GM strut tower brace, ABL LED Dome light, RPI painted speedo surround & console gauges surround, Gary's Customz bowtie!, Lloyd's custom mats, sequential tails, KMC rockstar wheels!

THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE
Cobra Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #22
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
I rented a 2013 Camaro Convertible and it was difficult to latch without using my left hand to pull the top down tight and then crank the handle with my right hand...
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #23
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Perhaps a shot in the dark:

...There are two "divets" (for lack of a better term) in which the metal "hooks" of the top latch into. These should have black plastic protectors in them (at least my Camaro does). Check to see if one of the "protectors" isn't misshaped / deformed. If it is, try to get it replaced...
Quote:
In answer to Baba: I have 2 chrome 'divits' that the top latches in to. Both cars...
I stand corrected. There are NO plastic protectors in the recessed area on the top of the windshield frame that the top latches into.

I was washed my car today and while doing top inspection and cleaning the upper border of the windshield frame (before I started washing the car so as to not open with the top while wet), I realized there weren't any plastic protectors (perhaps I was confused my initial impression and statement based on my Saturn Sky Redline. Just wanted to correct it for the record so someone else doesn't think they're missing something that really isn't supposed to be there).
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #24
classicrockr

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Anniv. Vert Camaro
Quote:
In answer to Baba: I have 2 chrome 'divits' that the top latches in to. Both cars

In answer to William @ Chevrolet: The VIN is 2G1FK3DJXD9189916. You are right is a problem, especially since this is supposed to be my wife's car and the top is too hard for her to put down and impossible for her to put up. The 2012 is much easier, but she cant drive stick. HELP
that car is jealous - it wants YOU to drive in, not the wife. That's why it's not cooperating...
classicrockr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #25
classicrockr

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Anniv. Vert Camaro
Quote:
I see the two stops inside the top well once the top is starting to go down. Are these stops adjustable?
Would this be something the dealer doesnt know about.
He is a small dealer that has only sold my two Camaro convertibles and 2 others. Plus other Camaro coupes.
Something the dealer DOESN'T know about...on a Camaro convertible? Now, that would NEVER happen, would it everyone?
classicrockr is online now   Reply With Quote