Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Amplifire Tuning Questions

I had a system installed not long ago in my car and since day 1 I have had trouble with getting it tuned to perfection, I know tuning is in the ear of the beholder so there is no perfect answer, but I cannot seem to get this right at all. I tried to take it to a stereo shop to get it tuned, and they turn down everything so low that i barely feel the subwoofer at all even at almost max volume. my amp has a lpf, bass boost, subsonic, an level knob. I do have the bass controller installed which seems to help allot because I do listen to a VERY wide variety of music, but could anyone here with experience throw out some settings for me please. It seems like everytime I try to play with the tuning something else gets worse
Specs:

subthump stealth 12" box
fosgate t0 12" sub dual 2 ohm (1 ohm capable)
Memphis pr-600 mono amp (600 watts at 1 ohm)

Last edited by richard200593; 05-05-2013 at 11:13 AM.
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
You're only giving that sub 300w (it's a DVC 4ohm right?), when it's rated at 700w RMS. My first step would be to get an amplifier capable of pushing more power to that T0.

Also, did you just add a sub to the stock system, or do you have other aftermarket stuff?

It's going to be hard to do anything outside of setting the gains properly without any real EQ ability.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
richard200593

no its actually dual 2 sorry forgot to post that spec, I had a t1 dual 4 but bought this sub specifically because of needing 1 ohm to push 600 watts, so far just the sub and amp, I plan on adding more speakers and replacing the stock boston amp at some point but have more mods planned ahead of that.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Do you have a multimeter?
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
Do you have a multimeter?
yes i do somewhere, been a while since its been used
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
DraggnFrameGMC

ok, you need to set your radio to the volume at which you normally listen to. Generally you would oscope the radio to show its maximium potential, but chances are you dont have a scope. you're looking for the maximum volume before distortion. Turn off all the eq settings to flat and bass boost off. You need to download some test tones or buy a cd with them on there. Play the tone that yor sub sounds the best which is gonna depend on the model and the box. Once you find the right hz tone, set it on repeat. Make sure your car is running, set your amp lpf to 80hz, take your multimeter to ac volts and put them on the positive and negative of the amp channel. Turn the amp level up until the meter reaches 24.49v. That is the maximum the amp will play without distortion or damage. After that you can set your radio eq again.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
ok, you need to set your radio to the volume at which you normally listen to. Generally you would oscope the radio to show its maximium potential, but chances are you dont have a scope. you're looking for the maximum volume before distortion. Turn off all the eq settings to flat and bass boost off. You need to download some test tones or buy a cd with them on there. Play the tone that yor sub sounds the best which is gonna depend on the model and the box. Once you find the right hz tone, set it on repeat. Make sure your car is running, set your amp lpf to 80hz, take your multimeter to ac volts and put them on the positive and negative of the amp channel. Turn the amp level up until the meter reaches 24.49v. That is the maximum the amp will play without distortion or damage. After that you can set your radio eq again.
Thanks allot for the help and very clear instruction hopefully I can find my multimeter and do this today or tomorrow
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
lfree11012

Drives: Ashen gray 1ss/rs npp
Your sub and amp set up is wrong. Dual 2(ohm) wire up at 1(ohm) or 4 (ohm) if your sub is wire at 1(ohm) your amp should be getting hot and turning off your can wore down to a 1 (ohm )load but should only run for about 45 min at a time. So I am welling to bet when you took it to the audio shop they wired it at a 4 ( ohm) load witch will pro long the life of the amp and keep you from blowing up the sub but it will only make the amp run hafe the power. This is why it sound good when you us the bass knob If you won't to sound good all the time at Three quarters volume your are going to have to change the sub to a duel 4( ohm) sub this will wire to a 2ohm load make your amp push at more power or change your amp You will need something that will push out 600 watts rms at 4 (ohm) buy making one of the change you should be able to set it up with no problem. Buy asking the amp to run at 1 (ohm) you run the risk of smoking the amp or the sub must Times its the sub that goes first the. The low the Resistance or impedance the higher the thd Total harmonic distortion is and this will smoke your sub
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfree11012 View Post
Your sub and amp set up is wrong. Dual 2(ohm) wire up at 1(ohm) or 4 (ohm) if your sub is wire at 1(ohm) your amp should be getting hot and turning off your can wore down to a 1 (ohm )load but should only run for about 45 min at a time. So I am welling to bet when you took it to the audio shop they wired it at a 4 ( ohm) load witch will pro long the life of the amp and keep you from blowing up the sub but it will only make the amp run hafe the power. This is why it sound good when you us the bass knob If you won't to sound good all the time at Three quarters volume your are going to have to change the sub to a duel 4( ohm) sub this will wire to a 2ohm load make your amp push at more power or change your amp You will need something that will push out 600 watts rms at 4 (ohm) buy making one of the change you should be able to set it up with no problem. Buy asking the amp to run at 1 (ohm) you run the risk of smoking the amp or the sub must Times its the sub that goes first the. The low the Resistance or impedance the higher the thd Total harmonic distortion is and this will smoke your sub
While I wouldn't put it past someone at a shop to wire it at 4ohm thinking safety first, his Memphis 16-PR1X600 is 1ohm stable.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
lfree11012

Ok so your car can do 180 mph but you would not do this every time you get be hind the wheel. Every time the amp turns on you are asking it to run at full power all the time and it is already under powering the sub at 1 ohm you are amp has puts out dirty power and this is one of the thing that will make your sub fail
Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfree11012 View Post

I am certain it's ran at 1 ohm. Here's some history, had a kenwood excellon 600 watt rms (at 2 ohm) amp with a 12inch fosgate t1. Wanted clearer sound and was told it was my amp, stereo shop talked me into the Memphis amp than after installed sounded much smoother but no power, that's when they told me oh because the amp is only 600 watts at 1 ohm and your sub is 2 ohm hence why I bought the t0...now I have the power but not the clarity again. I should have just kept my original setup
Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
lfree11012

the t0 is the updated for the t1. If I were you I would go back and punch your sales man in the mouth for not knowing any thing. Just cuz the box says that it can run 1 ohm does not mean you should. Also he sold you the wrong sub you need a dual 4 ohm sub it will wire up at a 2 ohm load. It will allow ask the amp to run at 2 ohm load giving a little cleaner power with out distortion. It sound like you are trying to get more bag not going to happen with the amp you have might wont to look at the power 10001 bd or the punch 1000 wired at 2 ohm
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
DraggnFrameGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
Thanks allot for the help and very clear instruction hopefully I can find my multimeter and do this today or tomorrow
No problem sir, anytime.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
DraggnFrameGMC

There is no problem at all running an amp at 1ohm if its made to run at 1ohm. Now if you have a 2ohm stable amp and run it at 1ohm, it will play but will eventually damage the amp. I have a Rockford Fosgate in a car thats run at 1ohm and its an amp from 2001 and still plays today. My sub amp runs at .5ohms and doesnt even get warm bc the circuitry is made to handle it.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
lfree11012

Ok mr frame gmc I call bs I was sold Rockford subs amd amps for a little over 12 years now and you can not run tham at .5 and not have them got hot. There are a few of them that you can run at 1 ohm but I would and say to do so if you are building a spl Vehicle. Also the low the Impedance the higher the Distortion level is you know that thing in the book that says thd that over time will couse the sub to fail seen it happen to many times. Also you he is having a tuning problem more the likely he is playing with the gain the gain is not a Volume control and he has a bass knob which will only boos distortion also know as dirty power
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
DraggnFrameGMC

I didnt say I have a rf amp at .5. I said I had one in "a" car that was old. My sub amp is a mmats 3000.5 in my camaro