Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
This car comes with aftermarket engine support built right in

I was just doing some engine research so I could post in one of the engine threads, and I got to thinking about the commonalities of some of GMs current generation V8s.

Regardless of which specific engines this car gets, they're all likely to be GenIV motors.

That means there's a LOT of parts that will potentially bolt right on the to the car the day it gets into your driveway.

Billet main caps from the LS7/9
CNCd LS7 cylinder heads
High flow L92 cylinder heads (assuming the car doesn't already have them)
LS7/9 dry sump oiling assembly
Various clutches and flywheels
The whole supercharger assembly from the LSA or LS9
The LSX 2500hp capable GM Performance Parts engine block
Cosmetic things like nicer valve covers and trim pieces

And a ton of aftermarket parts like heads and cams from people besides GM.

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a car.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Its pretty sweet that you can order a cam and a couple other things and the LS3 goes up to 500 hp, and has a 2 year warranty. One of the best things about GM is the performance/price ratio in their stock vehicles. Then for the performance/price ratio for the aftermarket GM tends to dominate.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can't wait!!!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I thought there was at least a decent likelihood we'd be seeing a Gen V engine in the Camaro?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
I thought there was at least a decent likelihood we'd be seeing a Gen V engine in the Camaro?
We will, but we don't know what year that will be. it could be as late as 2012 model year. Or they could be ready at release. hard to say

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Who knows the the CAFE crap has jacked-up...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
Quote:
Yeah, that's got me worried :(
Gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I hope it has jacked up any plans GM had to install the L76 for a 2-3 years before going to a gen V base V8 when sales start to slow down. It will ruin Gatecrasher's plans to raid the parts bin, but I'd be more inclined to buy an R/T fighter with a DI DOHC V8 or a DI TT DOHC V6 than one with an pushrod V8.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

GM shelved its DOHC V8's as far as I know.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
That's what's great about a GM car. With most of them when you buy it there'll already be plenty of mods from other models sharing the same platform, engine, etc..
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm worried because it doesn't seem like Father has chimed in much regarding powertrain speculations and what not. I'm a pessimist so I'm naturally going to worry about being disappointed that a high-end V8 will either not be affordable, let alone available. I'll settle for 400 horse I guess though...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'm worried because it doesn't seem like Father has chimed in much regarding powertrain speculations and what not. I'm a pessimist so I'm naturally going to worry about being disappointed that a high-end V8 will either not be affordable, let alone available. I'll settle for 400 horse I guess though...
Settle?!?!?
I love it when I hear that. 'settle for 400hp'....wow. Nothin' 'gainst you at ALL - but have we been hp spoiled or what.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
all chevy LS series engines have basically swapable parts...thats part of the reason I love my bowties!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
I bet there's lots of aftermarket tuners that tune other GM cars already licking their lips at the new market there'll be for their existing parts once the Camaro comes out.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Don't worry, but the reason Scott hasn't been chiming in a lot lately is because of the different whining that goes on...(I had a conversation with him a week ago). I would also venture to guess that as the Camaro nears production, Scott gets busier and busier...

Like dragoneye says...I think it's funny to say that we'll settle for 400 horses We are spoiled, dragon, especially with cars like the ZR1, which is supposed to produce 620+ hp...But with the LS1 in the 4th Gens and the LS2 in the GTOs...we've come to EXPECT 400 horses. I will be WAY more than content with 400 - 450 hp...but I don't expect it. What I do expect...is that we'll get some form of the G8 GT V8...I'd say that since they put that powerful of an engine in the G8 GT...that would be at least the benchmark they'd set for the base V8 for the Camaro...JUST my thoughts...and Rad...^^^ that was not pointed toward you, just fyi...because I'll settle for 400 hp too...not only that, I'd settle for the L76...it's just that our bars are set at slightly different levels!!

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Don't worry, but the reason Scott hasn't been chiming in a lot lately is because of the different whining that goes on...maybe not so much here but over at cz28 and so he's taken it easy...(I had a conversation with him a week ago). I would also venture to guess that as the Camaro nears production, Scott gets busier and busier...

Like dragoneye says...I think it's funny to say that we'll settle for 400 horses We are spoiled, dragon, especially with cars like the ZR1, which is supposed to produce 620+ hp...But with the LS1 in the 4th Gens and the LS2 in the GTOs...we've come to EXPECT 400 horses. I will be WAY more than content with 400 - 450 hp...but I don't expect it. What I do expect...is that we'll get some form of the G8 GT V8...I'd say that since they put that powerful of an engine in the G8 GT...that would be at least the benchmark they'd set for the base V8 for the Camaro...JUST my thoughts...and Rad...^^^ that was not pointed toward you, just fyi...because I'll settle for 400 hp too...not only that, I'd settle for the L76...it's just that our bars are set at slightly different levels!!
great points man. It is true, if we consider 400 hp to be a level we'll "settle for" in a high-po V8 we're spoiled. Given how the rest of the car-world looks right now, any affordable V8 is impressive. And in a car this size, 400hp is more than enough to beat 90%+ of all cars on the world and put a smile on your face with seat-indenting acceleration.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Any reason why we're using roman numerals for the engines? (GEN V) We say 5th gen when we talk about the car. Just sayin

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
It makes it a lot easier to keep track of things. Roman numerals = engine, traditional numbers = car. Simple.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Is that the way GM refers to them?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They refer to the engine families as "Generation (insert Roman Numeral) small-block".

I don't think I've heard anybody from the company actually refer to the car as a 5thgen, though...mostly "new Camaro", or just "Camaro".

Imagine talking about putting a 5thgen in a 5th gen..wtf?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Imagine talking about putting a 5thgen in a 5th gen..wtf?
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #22
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Don't worry, but the reason Scott hasn't been chiming in a lot lately is because of the different whining that goes on...(I had a conversation with him a week ago). I would also venture to guess that as the Camaro nears production, Scott gets busier and busier...

That all makes sense but we know what Scott has said about being a "performance leader in class". So that leads me to believe that with the challenger and mustang numbers where they are we can expect 400+. And Yes the LS9 is a special engine that we will probably not see in the camaro anytime soon. But the CTSV and the G8 GT have broken barriers as far as what GM is doing in terms of HP these days. So, again, I think it is reasonable to expect 400hp. Now, my continued ranting about 500+ isn't necessarily aimed and GM. If I can get it in some special version of the Camaro then GREAT. If not then I will find a way to get there on my own.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #23
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
THis is one of the few good things with me not being able to afford it for a few years, I can wait and see what engines end up in it over the first few years.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
i would actually really like an OHC. i think it's time GM makes the switch, like all the europeans. look at the genV in the solstice GXP, it's OHC. i'm also ready to see some 4 valve per cylinder engines. all together, i'm just ready.
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote