Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Additional news on engine options and Zeta architecture

From Motortrend.com: "Building a new Impala off the Zeta architecture also will enable GM to spread some of the investment required for the Camaro across two model lines, as the cars will share mechanicals and numerous sheetmetal components under the skin. That eases the pressure on the Camaro to return the same profit margins Ford needs to justify building the Mustang, which shares few parts with any other FoMoCo vehicle.

6.2-liter V-8 is likely to be the top engine. Expect at least 400 horsepower, with cylinder deactivation for improved fuel economy. Also likely to be available will be GM’s high-feature 3.6-liter V-6 and a 5.3-liter V-8.

Zeta rear suspension also will be on new Camaro and Pontiac Grand Prix. Features beefy L-shaped single upper link, two lower links, and adjustable toe-control link. Coil-over shocks keep entire assembly compact."


Link:http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._chevy_impala/

Some more great news for the Camaro. Looks like GM hitting that 100,000+ sales mark will not be as big of an issue after all.

Not to mention this is the second source that confirms the 6.2L engine set-up, as well as giving us an idea as to what to expect in terms of other engine options. Maybe the 5.3L will be the entry level V-8 after all.

EDIT: The above quote from Motortrend is regarding the new Impala which will share the Camaro's platform. It is NOT regarding the Camaro

Last edited by Casull; 10-25-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
From Motortrend.com: "Building a new Impala off the Zeta architecture also will enable GM to spread some of the investment required for the Camaro across two model lines, as the cars will share mechanicals and numerous sheetmetal components under the skin. That eases the pressure on the Camaro to return the same profit margins Ford needs to justify building the Mustang, which shares few parts with any other FoMoCo vehicle.

6.2-liter V-8 is likely to be the top engine. Expect at least 400 horsepower, with cylinder deactivation for improved fuel economy. Also likely to be available will be GM’s high-feature 3.6-liter V-6 and a 5.3-liter V-8.

Zeta rear suspension also will be on new Camaro and Pontiac Grand Prix. Features beefy L-shaped single upper link, two lower links, and adjustable toe-control link. Coil-over shocks keep entire assembly compact."


Link:http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._chevy_impala/

Some more great news for the Camaro. Looks like GM hitting that 100,000+ sales mark will not be as big of an issue after all.

Not to mention this is the second source that confirms the 6.2L engine set-up, as well as giving us an idea as to what to expect in terms of other engine options. Maybe the 5.3L will be the entry level V-8 after all.
All this confirms is possible engine specs for the future Impala. The article mentions nothing of future Camaro power plants.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
All this confirms is possible engine specs for the future Impala. The article mentions nothing of future Camaro power plants.
It does indeed confirm the production of a 6.2L V-8 given the speculation around the validity of the Steve Saleen remarks, which means we can be much more certain that engine option will be in the top dog Camaro. I personally think that the 5.3L mentioned will be the other V-8 in the entry level V-8 Camaro, not a de-tuned 6.2L.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
It does indeed confirm the production of a 6.2L V-8 given the speculation around the validity of the Steve Saleen remarks, which means we can be much more certain that engine option will be in the top dog Camaro. I personally think that the 5.3L mentioned will be the other V-8 in the entry level V-8 Camaro, not a de-tuned 6.2L.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Bruno
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: OH now
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
It does indeed confirm the production of a 6.2L V-8 given the speculation around the validity of the Steve Saleen remarks, which means we can be much more certain that engine option will be in the top dog Camaro. I personally think that the 5.3L mentioned will be the other V-8 in the entry level V-8 Camaro, not a de-tuned 6.2L.
I think Steve Saleen mentioned a 6.5L, but this is close enough
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
It does indeed confirm the production of a 6.2L V-8 given the speculation around the validity of the Steve Saleen remarks, which means we can be much more certain that engine option will be in the top dog Camaro. I personally think that the 5.3L mentioned will be the other V-8 in the entry level V-8 Camaro, not a de-tuned 6.2L.
You got it right. If they are doing that with the Impala, that just lends more credibility to Saleens statement. That's excellent news!

Now, let's hope they don't offer up two engines for the top two Camaros. I mean, I hope if they are going to use the 6.2, they use it on both the Z28 and SS. Unless, of course, they are going to use the LS7!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.