Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #301
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Attachment 542070
bigger pads

Attachment 542071
booooooooom

caliper will be anodized to help mitigate that burnt golden yellow color for those that track car well errr aggressively.

bigger pads with pistons properly places to be in middle of pad. no more dust boots to burn because of properly made caliper and piston. lighter, prettier, overall better than brembo oem.

i hope there is a zl1 or someone with ctsv/zl1 brakes at fontana this weekend so i can see whats what when compared to those.
But I love that burnt golden yellow color

I am betting you'll know the difference after one hot lap. To keep everyone on track could you tell us again about your current brake setup and why you wanted to upgrade?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #302
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!
 
BullF-16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Attachment 542070
bigger pads

Attachment 542071
booooooooom

caliper will be anodized to help mitigate that burnt golden yellow color for those that track car well errr aggressively.

bigger pads with pistons properly places to be in middle of pad. no more dust boots to burn because of properly made caliper and piston. lighter, prettier, overall better than brembo oem.

i hope there is a zl1 or someone with ctsv/zl1 brakes at fontana this weekend so i can see whats what when compared to those.
So, are these the 6 piston setup they have been working on for the 5th gen?
__________________
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #303
Treefrog
U235 is fun!
 
Treefrog's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florence, AL
Posts: 329
so, the real difference between the op and post 283 would be the pad application?

a set of the rb rotors and say some hawk hp plus pads would be great?
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #304
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
But I love that burnt golden yellow color

I am betting you'll know the difference after one hot lap. To keep everyone on track could you tell us again about your current brake setup and why you wanted to upgrade?
i have ss lines...dot4 fluid...racingbrake rebuild caliper kit, racing brake pads, oem calipers, racing brake rotors. the caliper will be new, also i have a brake duct set up waiting for install that will use the bottom light on zl1 front fascia.

being an auto on a road course and driving very aggressively gets me in trouble with heat....mainly dust boots and pushing the pad past its heat range. looking to lose more unsprung weight and lose the dust boots. plus having a properly designed caliper made with precision with a bigger better fitting better placed pad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
So, are these the 6 piston setup they have been working on for the 5th gen?
no 4 pots...they have the ctsv size rotors already and may either do a caliper to fit that or figure a way to get a bigger 6pot and rotor on there...think gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post
so, the real difference between the op and post 283 would be the pad application?

a set of the rb rotors and say some hawk hp plus pads would be great?
not sure of the difference you are asking op was just about 2 piece rotors...my latest post was about a lightweight caliper with bigger pads.

i think hawk hp+ are to much for street and junk for track. dont know how you drive or what you drive on. rb rotors are truly a work of art and have function and form.
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #305
Virus
#551
 
Virus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, Ny
Posts: 180
Can't wait for the 6 pots
__________________
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #306
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
Can't wait for the 6 pots
me neither. they are going to be works of art...RB Team just needs to decide which direction to go. They dont like shortcuts.
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #307
Virus
#551
 
Virus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, Ny
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
me neither. they are going to be works of art...RB Team just needs to decide which direction to go. They dont like shortcuts.
All the better. They going to or do they already have 4 pot rears to match the fronts when I buy their 6 pot ?
__________________
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #308
Treefrog
U235 is fun!
 
Treefrog's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florence, AL
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
not sure of the difference you are asking op was just about 2 piece rotors...my latest post was about a lightweight caliper with bigger pads.

i think hawk hp+ are to much for street and junk for track. dont know how you drive or what you drive on. rb rotors are truly a work of art and have function and form.
My last track day I lost my brakes at Atlanta Motorsports park.. Peddle went to the floor.. I had some brake fade but still enough brake to make the anti-lock function.. That is until several laps in and the end of the straight there.. So, I was E-brake and into the runoff area.. car filled w/ sand.. haha

Anyway, I was ignorant and ignored my brakes not knowing they were the weak link.. I don't wanna be in that place again..

I am sold on the RB rotors.. I plan to buy a set.. But the difference in your testimonial of the OP and post #283 (I think it was) are polar opposites.. I'm wondering if the difference could be brake pad only related.. I have little doubt of the functionality of the rotors..

If the OE calipers and a set of RB rotors will do what you say with a proper pad.. That is what I want to do as I think it will suit my needs.. I don't consider myself a good enough driver to require the 6pot setup.. Besides, I have my OE calipers power coated and I really like them.. haha
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #309
rockrau
 
rockrau's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: perkasie pa
Posts: 356
Cutting to the chase

Does the RB kit stop better and with less fade than the CTS V set up? If so by how much? Numbers please.Data is good.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #310
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post
My last track day I lost my brakes at Atlanta Motorsports park.. Peddle went to the floor.. I had some brake fade but still enough brake to make the anti-lock function.. That is until several laps in and the end of the straight there.. So, I was E-brake and into the runoff area.. car filled w/ sand.. haha

Anyway, I was ignorant and ignored my brakes not knowing they were the weak link.. I don't wanna be in that place again..

I am sold on the RB rotors.. I plan to buy a set.. But the difference in your testimonial of the OP and post #283 (I think it was) are polar opposites.. I'm wondering if the difference could be brake pad only related.. I have little doubt of the functionality of the rotors..

If the OE calipers and a set of RB rotors will do what you say with a proper pad.. That is what I want to do as I think it will suit my needs.. I don't consider myself a good enough driver to require the 6pot setup.. Besides, I have my OE calipers power coated and I really like them.. haha
that post makes comments about a pad. he took a pad advertised as a street pad on a road course and a fast one at that. new hpde driver means slow and cautious driver...not someone trying to out break people and see how late they can brake. proper pad for a HEAVY car is necessary. i would not recommend anything but a true track pad for any road course...especially a high speed one in summer. pads can only take so much heat...that post also makes no mention of other brake products he has upgraded. like lines and fluid for example which should be first!

track pads for track....shitty duralast pads for street is what i run.
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #311
Treefrog
U235 is fun!
 
Treefrog's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florence, AL
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
that post makes comments about a pad. he took a pad advertised as a street pad on a road course and a fast one at that. new hpde driver means slow and cautious driver...not someone trying to out break people and see how late they can brake. proper pad for a HEAVY car is necessary. i would not recommend anything but a true track pad for any road course...especially a high speed one in summer. pads can only take so much heat...that post also makes no mention of other brake products he has upgraded. like lines and fluid for example which should be first!

track pads for track....shitty duralast pads for street is what i run.
Ty man.. I think you have squared me away.. I have stainless lines and use Modul fluid.. So I think I will go with the RB rotors and a set of track pads for track days.. I should have no brake issues on my next outing! 8)
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #312
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376087235.904752.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376087251.336671.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  79.8 KB

anodized red not powdercoating! sexy sexy calipers. the red is almost like a candy look to it
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #313
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 3,229
Ok Blake, if those don't fix your brake issues, I guess we all know where the problem resides....LOL Those do look awesome...hope they work up to your expectations...
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #314
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Ok Blake, if those don't fix your brake issues, I guess we all know where the problem resides....LOL Those do look awesome...hope they work up to your expectations...
They DO look great. We'll know by the end of the weekend how he did with them.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #315
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Ok Blake, if those don't fix your brake issues, I guess we all know where the problem resides....LOL Those do look awesome...hope they work up to your expectations...
haha yes we will definatly know where the problem is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
They DO look great. We'll know by the end of the weekend how he did with them.
i will do a review of the install and the track performance over 2 days at a highspeed track that i have wrecked brakes and pads and rotors on before.
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #316
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
So how did the new setup work at Fontana last weekend?
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #317
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376693744.905620.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  160.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376693764.372959.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  64.9 KB

two pictures of RacingBrake Calipers in the front of my car.

Had 2 track days this past weekend in Fontana, CA at AutoClub Speedway. I was totally happy and a little impressed with the level of control I had with the brake pedal. The brake pedal felt exactly like the throttle...after a small learning curve I was able to feather and control the braking to the exact point that I needed or wanted.
I also was also able to change the pads out at the track with simple hand tools and keep going.

The calipers are anodized, not powder coated. I put them through the heat cycle gauntlet in southern California and the extra heat I build up being an auto. The anodizing held up to the heat (no golden brown burned color) as well as some spilled brake fluid.

Highly recommend for show or go!!!
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #318
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Nice! What pads did you use?
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #319
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,095
Those red anodized calipers look great!
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #320
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE
 
CHMSC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 12,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Those red anodized calipers look great!
Ssshhhhhh they are really pink! Blake's favorite color!
__________________
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #321
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Nice! What pads did you use?
i used a 970X3 i dont think they sell them yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Those red anodized calipers look great!
they really do...like a metallic candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Ssshhhhhh they are really pink! Blake's favorite color!
real men can wear pink and not be bothered by it i know they will also have a few more colors.


to expand on the braking ability...my auto coming off banked nascar turns 1 and 2 slowed down enough to make 2 very low speed 90 degree turns. repeatedly and without quit. i was faster than a ctsv fully gutted and fully modded race car on slicks at every point in the track. partly due to my confidence in my car and the ease a which i could out brake things. i dove around him a few times in corners much to his unhappiness.

the install is easy as pie! took longer to bleed one of them than it did to get car on ramps, wheels off, install calipers and put wheels back on.
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #322
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
i used a 970X3 i dont think they sell them yet.

they really do...like a metallic candy

real men can wear pink and not be bothered by it i know they will also have a few more colors.


to expand on the braking ability...my auto coming off banked nascar turns 1 and 2 slowed down enough to make 2 very low speed 90 degree turns. repeatedly and without quit. i was faster than a ctsv fully gutted and fully modded race car on slicks at every point in the track. partly due to my confidence in my car and the ease a which i could out brake things. i dove around him a few times in corners much to his unhappiness.

the install is easy as pie! took longer to bleed one of them than it did to get car on ramps, wheels off, install calipers and put wheels back on.
Great job from beginning to track report RacingBrake is fortunate to have you as a spokesperson.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #323
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE
 
CHMSC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 12,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
i used a 970X3 i dont think they sell them yet.

they really do...like a metallic candy

real men can wear pink and not be bothered by it i know they will also have a few more colors.


to expand on the braking ability...my auto coming off banked nascar turns 1 and 2 slowed down enough to make 2 very low speed 90 degree turns. repeatedly and without quit. i was faster than a ctsv fully gutted and fully modded race car on slicks at every point in the track. partly due to my confidence in my car and the ease a which i could out brake things. i dove around him a few times in corners much to his unhappiness.

the install is easy as pie! took longer to bleed one of them than it did to get car on ramps, wheels off, install calipers and put wheels back on.
Pink matches your eyes perfect!

In all seriousness though, the calipers looked awesome! Didn't get a chance to ride with Blake at this track but he was very happy with his setup and seemed to out brake everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Great job from beginning to track report RacingBrake is fortunate to have you as a spokesperson.
Now only if he could learn to clean his car
__________________
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #324
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Great job from beginning to track report RacingBrake is fortunate to have you as a spokesperson.
sounds like a job haha. i wish you could drive these...or the 6 pots when they are done with them. i know you have an eye for awesome and would appreciate them. next is suspension and losing weight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Pink matches your eyes perfect!

In all seriousness though, the calipers looked awesome! Didn't get a chance to ride with Blake at this track but he was very happy with his setup and seemed to out brake everyone.



Now only if he could learn to clean his car
thanks bud...i am going to buy pink racing slippers just to blow your mind. also my car has a half inch of adams products underneath all the brake dust, rubber, and track (off track) dirt
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #325
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Those red anodized calipers look great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Ssshhhhhh they are really pink! Blake's favorite color!
If pink makes him feel pretty, who are we to judge?
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.