Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Mrt v2

So I am about to pull the trigger on this but had a few questions...

1. Is this something a guy with limited mechanic type knowledge could do?

2. It's my understanding you cut off existing pipe and tips and this is replaced?

3. If you have it, any comments or concerns?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • matte white hood spears and rear javelin stripe outlined in yellow pinstriping • Anvil Spoiler • Side Camaro emblem delete • Gloss black rear bowtie • heritage grill • SLP front splitter
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Dadnkid

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS, 2012 Traverse LS
I'm looking for one myself. Where you picking yours up
Dadnkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
1. As long as you can measure and cut...you're good to go
2. I think its was 2.5 inches behind factory mufflers, the whole muffler comes out, which includes the tips.
3. Love it, at first my wife was giving me dirty looks because of the 1800 rpm range drone, but since it has toned down and sounds AWESOME when you romp on it!!!

Have fun!!!

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
rickyrocket

Drives: 2012 LS yellow/blk stripes
you cut the pipe 3" BEFORE the mufflers,spray soe wd-40 on the rubber hangers & the old mufflers will come out pretty easy(slide hangers off) tips are already on the MRT2 good choice BTW,make sure to tighten the snot out of the band clamps,easy job,half-hour to 45 mins tops
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Thanks everyone for the info...

As for where I am getting them I am still looking around... Seen a few different prices.
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • matte white hood spears and rear javelin stripe outlined in yellow pinstriping • Anvil Spoiler • Side Camaro emblem delete • Gloss black rear bowtie • heritage grill • SLP front splitter
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
You'll love em!
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, MRT 2.0 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow X Pipe & custom J-Pipes, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach lowering springs.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
You'll love em!
I hope so. $500 is price right?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
fergie1197

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Check out Apex Motor sports..they are a MRT dealer and awesome customer service... they did an awesome video of my car with the MRT 2.0 I absolutely love this system...
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
I hope so. $500 is price right?

Sounds about right. Most good systems start around $500.00

The MRT v2 works great for our LFX cars. I would recommend you add the Magnflow X pipe if it's a DD. Eliminates the popping noise for the exhaust.
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, MRT 2.0 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow X Pipe & custom J-Pipes, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach lowering springs.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Sounds about right. Most good systems start around $500.00

The MRT v2 works great for our LFX cars. I would recommend you add the Magnflow X pipe if it's a DD. Eliminates the popping noise for the exhaust.
It is a dd. is that easily installable by yourself too? How much are those?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

I got mine for $99.

Easy install as well....

You can always take the parts down to a local muffler shop and for about $50-$80 they should install all the parts for you.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I have them and I love them. I did it myself and it is fairly easy. I believe in the saying measure twice cut once. Once cut you pull the muffler off just watch where you have your hands placed as the stock mufflers are heavy, I had my hand in the wrong spot when I pulled the muffler out of the hanger, well lets just say it hurt a little when it hit the floor when my hand was under it. I even did mine with a hacksaw since I couldn't get my hands on a Saws-all, I would recommend the power tools. Clean up the burrs off the pipe and the new mufflers just slide over the pipes and clamp on. As much as I tightened the snot out of them the passenger side would slip a little. I got tired of fiddling with it trying to get it to stay put and after 8 months I drove it to a muffler shop and had them weld them both on since I don't ever plan on taking them off, problem solved.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #13
RedHotRS

Drives: 2013 CRT 2LT RS
I'm ready to buy mine as well, along with CAI and the Magnaflow X pipe. Apex has a great bundle price op.

Only thing I'm concerned with is can you still drive the car quietly when wanted? It's also my DD and love romping on it most of the time but I also enjoy a quiet drive at times. Is that possible once the MRT V2 and CAI are installed?
RedHotRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
skibik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotRS View Post
I'm ready to buy mine as well, along with CAI and the Magnaflow X pipe. Apex has a great bundle price op.

Only thing I'm concerned with is can you still drive the car quietly when wanted? It's also my DD and love romping on it most of the time but I also enjoy a quiet drive at times. Is that possible once the MRT V2 and CAI are installed?

Yes you can. It is slightly louder at cruising at 60 MPH, with auto trans it runs at 1500 to 1600 RPM's at this speed and for me the radio is plenty loud on an FM station at 12. About a month ago I went on a road trip with my friend and I asked him what his thoughts were about the noise/drone. He said he just tones it out and doesn't notice it and I do the same. Keep in mind you put on a louder exhaust it is going to be louder in the car whether it is a V6 or a V8 and it seems like the louder sound is what a lot of members here are referring to drone. All I can say is I knew it was going to be louder inside and did it anyway and it doesn't bother me. To each his own.

Here is a clip from inside the car from Morano's website. There is another one on there website from the outside on take-off and these two clips if what sold me on the V2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0uUBTlJBP1M

Dean.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
RedHotRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
Yes you can. It is slightly louder at cruising at 60 MPH, with auto trans it runs at 1500 to 1600 RPM's at this speed and for me the radio is plenty loud on an FM station at 12. About a month ago I went on a road trip with my friend and I asked him what his thoughts were about the noise/drone. He said he just tones it out and doesn't notice it and I do the same. Keep in mind you put on a louder exhaust it is going to be louder in the car whether it is a V6 or a V8 and it seems like the louder sound is what a lot of members here are referring to drone. All I can say is I knew it was going to be louder inside and did it anyway and it doesn't bother me. To each his own.

Here is a clip from inside the car from Morano's website. There is another one on there website from the outside on take-off and these two clips if what sold me on the V2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0uUBTlJBP1M

Dean.
Thanks, I appreciate your response.

After all the sound clips I've listened to I've got to give them a try, they do sound great for a V6.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
skibik

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate your response.

After all the sound clips I've listened to I've got to give them a try, they do sound great for a V6.

Here is a clip of mine that I did a little over a month ago. It was windy that day so it is kind of a crappy clip. The first part is in the garage, the second part is an economy take off and just before the end of this part of the clip I was cruising at 60 and the last part of the clip a about a 2/3 throttle take off with the window down and the wind was blowing heard from the passenger side. Hopefully it helps with your decision. Since it has warmed up I have been meaning to try to get another clip together. I should also note that I have Solo's HFC's installed on the car so it sounds a tad deeper and a touch louder then when I just had the V2's on.

Dean.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Damm Dean, those HFC's make your ride sound bad ass!

Damit, now I have to spend more money on mods!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Here is a clip of mine that I did a little over a month ago. It was windy that day so it is kind of a crappy clip. The first part is in the garage, the second part is an economy take off and just before the end of this part of the clip I was cruising at 60 and the last part of the clip a about a 2/3 throttle take off with the window down and the wind was blowing heard from the passenger side. Hopefully it helps with your decision. Since it has warmed up I have been meaning to try to get another clip together. I should also note that I have Solo's HFC's installed on the car so it sounds a tad deeper and a touch louder then when I just had the V2's on.

Dean.

Damn sounds awesome!!! I need!!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
RedHotRS

Thanks Dean, sounds sick

I ordered mine today from Apex, got both the MRT and Magnaflow.

Going to start with the MRTs and see if they bother me. If they do ill install the X pipe, odds are ill need the X pipe so I went ahead and got it for $55. If I don't need it ill sell it.

Can't wait to get it on the car, thanks guys.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Thanks Dean, sounds sick

Going to start with the MRTs and see if they bother me. If they do ill install the X pipe, odds are ill need the X pipe so I went ahead and got it for $55. If I don't need it ill sell it.

Nice, how much was it?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
RedHotRS

Quote:
Nice, how much was it?
If you buy both the MRT V2 and Magnaflow they give you $50 off the total, so it was $605 instead of $655 with free shipping. Order was shipped today, great service.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
skibik

Quote:
Damm Dean, those HFC's make your ride sound bad ass!

Damit, now I have to spend more money on mods!
Quote:
Damn sounds awesome!!! I need!!
Quote:
Thanks Dean, sounds sick

Thanks for the compliments. Even though I used my new DSLR camera and it was taken in HD the sound is still mono and does not do it justice. I am hoping to get out and get a new clip taken since it was windy that day and the lens I used was an older lens I had borrowed which is why the image is bouncy.

Enjoy the new exhaust you will love it.

Dean.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. Even though I used my new DSLR camera and it was taken in HD the sound is still mono and does not do it justice. I am hoping to get out and get a new clip taken since it was windy that day and the lens I used was an older lens I had borrowed which is why the image is bouncy.

Enjoy the new exhaust you will love it.

Dean.
Dean, where have you found these for the cheapest price? Is $549 direct from MRT the best way to go??
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
skibik

Quote:
Dean, where have you found these for the cheapest price? Is $549 direct from MRT the best way to go??
That is what I paid but there was another thread on this exhaust and someone had found someone selling them for $500 even. Try doing a search on the exhaust and maybe you could find it. It seems like every where I looked they were the same price so I just ordered them from the Morano website, they shipped them free of charge. Also, that was long before I found this site. If you don't have a CAI and are looking to buy one some of the sponsor on this site have combo deals for the 2, check out this forum for dealers and sponsors. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143

Dean.