Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
vandervortadam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss black 21's
A few polishing questions?

Well i just relized i am using to much polish after reading some of junk mans posts. J just need to know if i am using to much pressure. Do the pads get hot or warm? Ciuld it be from to much polish or just to much pressure? What else can i be doing wrong? I am using all adams products and a pc. Thanks in advance.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
vandervortadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
vandervortadam

Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
The pads will get hot due to friction. If you're using too much product you'll most likely notice excess dusting.

Start out with priming the pad and moving to a section, after that 2-4 pea sized dots will be enough for a 2' x 2' area. Each product is different so work a test spot ( a 2' x 2' area) until the paint is perfect, then copy what you did there over the entire vehicle, most people either choose the hood or roof.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
vandervortadam

Should the backing plate be spinning or stationary? If ot is stationary ot feels like there is alot of pressure on it.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Spinning, stationary is WAYYYYY to much pressure, lighten it up a little, let the tool do the work.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
It's suppose to spin. Not fast
Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
ec1990

If you want to make sure it's spinning mark the backing plate with a marker.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
AJ (Junkman) use to say "use 9-14 pounds of pressure on your PC." He recommended using a bathroom scale, and with the polisher off, applying downward pressure until you could "feel" what 9-14 pounds of pressure felt like. Many here disagreed with that being a true test of 9-14 lbs of pressure, and that very well maybe the case, however it is a starting point.

Other recommend working the polish in the 2x2 area until it looks corrected.

The bottom line is your going to have to practice and develop your pressure technique and as far as when you will know when it's time to add polish you shouldn't have any excess dusting, if you still have any polish in the pad it can be "woken up" with spritz of detail spray and the polish will still flash. When it can no no longer do any of these 3 things, it's time for more polish. As long as you can spritz and the polish in the pas is still working don't add any more.

Hope this helps
Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I doubt you are using too much polish. Most people on here follow Junkman's or Adam's advice.

I follow the Kevin Brown method to priming a pad. I prime a pad using, and this is no joke, at least 10 times as much product as you guys.

I completely cover the pad in the polish so that the pad is now the color of the polish AND then add three drops of polish.

I doubt you are using too much polish, there's got to be some other issue.

Oh and I don't use detail spray on my pads either

P.S. Don't really get major dusting issues either Dusting is from overworking or underworking the polish or working on hot panels in my opinion or from using pads too long. Not from too much polish.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
AJ (Junkman) use to say "use 9-14 pounds of pressure on your PC." He recommended using a bathroom scale, and with the polisher off, applying downward pressure until you could "feel" what 9-14 pounds of pressure felt like. Many here disagreed with that being a true test of 9-14 lbs of pressure, and that very well maybe the case, however it is a starting point.

Other recommend working the polish in the 2x2 area until it looks corrected.

The bottom line is your going to have to practice and develop your pressure technique and as far as when you will know when it's time to add polish you shouldn't have any excess dusting, if you still have any polish in the pad it can be "woken up" with spritz of detail spray and the polish will still flash. When it can no no longer do any of these 3 things, it's time for more polish. As long as you can spritz and the polish in the pas is still working don't add any more.

Hope this helps
I believe the flashing part depends if the compound or polish breaks down. Products like Meguiars 101/105/205 theoretically will not break down (SMAT) where as Menzerna products are usually DAT (Diminishing Abrasives) which will flash to show they are no longer able to compound or polish.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I believe the flashing part depends if the compound or polish breaks down. Products like Meguiars 101/105/205 theoretically will not break down (SMAT) where as Menzerna products are usually DAT (Diminishing Abrasives) which will flash to show they are no longer able to compound or polish.
Great info! Most don't know about SMAT and DAT on non-detailing forums.

But if you use 105, you do see that it does flash, even though it is SMAT

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I guess since the OP indicated he was using all Adams products and a PC, I offered my Adams experience to the conversation.

IMO the other suggestions for non-Adams products don't seem on task and will likely only confuse the OP since its clear to me he's just starting on his detail journey.

I can appreciate the other comments, I just don't think they're relevant to the OP original questions.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
I guess since the OP indicated he was using all Adams products and a PC, I offered my Adams experience to the conversation.

IMO the other suggestions for non-Adams products don't seem on task and will likely only confuse the OP since its clear to me he's just starting on his detail journey.

I can appreciate the other comments, I just don't think they're relevant to the OP original questions.
OK yeah I agree.

Let's get to the bottom of this OP. I doubt you're using too much polish as I've said earlier.

How many pads are you using?

Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
vandervortadam

I am just using one pad for each product. I have not seen anyone say anything aboit getting more pads. I have all the pads made by adams.