Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
UF4LIFE102SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2 SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL.
Posts: 4,145
If u can get a 18" with a Mickey on it do it! Yes keep an I on the classifieds. TSW or Forgestars r not badly priced if u want new wheels. Nittos 555r's might put less strain on the drivetrain though.
__________________
UF4LIFE102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
UF4LIFE102SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2 SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL.
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
I put Forgestar 18 for strip with Mickey Thompson on them.
Got rims off of Nineballer here on Camaro 5. Great looking rims.
Got the tires from Summit right at $200 per tire. You go with that set up you won't spin.
What size on the tire?
__________________
UF4LIFE102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
What mods do you currently have? That trap speed is high.
SCT tune from Jannetty
Stainless Power LT headers
Stainless Works high flow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
Borla Atak axle back

Not too bad for a L99 and stock tires
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I have a set of Nitto NT05's on mine and so far I like them and I think I paid $550 for the set. I am no pro at the track and on my second time at the track I ran a 12.89.

What track did you go to? I have been to Kaukauna and Great Lakes Dragway. I see your 225 miles from me and not familiar with tracks in your area.
Rock Falls Raceway near Eau Claire, WI. Our cars have very similar mods and even the same (awesome) color. Nice!!!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
Yup.
Anything with the right bolt pattern and correct offset for the wheel width will work. There's so much info already posted on here, if you do a search using the right key words and read and read and read.....you'll find what you're looking for. I just did a quick search for Z06 in thread titles and found LOTS of threads.
Cool. Thanks!!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
If u can get a 18" with a Mickey on it do it! Yes keep an I on the classifieds. TSW or Forgestars r not badly priced if u want new wheels. Nittos 555r's might put less strain on the drivetrain though.
Good advice. Thanks! I want to stick, don't get me wrong, but its actually more important not to tear apart my car.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
SCT tune from Jannetty
Stainless Power LT headers
Stainless Works high flow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
Borla Atak axle back

Not too bad for a L99 and stock tires
I ran 12.4 at 113 with those mods on stock Pirellis in 2009. Sounds like a little more tweaking on your launch and you'll be fine. Best 60' I was able to get was 1.8
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I ran 12.4 at 113 with those mods on stock Pirellis in 2009. Sounds like a little more tweaking on your launch and you'll be fine. Best 60' I was able to get was 1.8
Wow! You wanna come and race mine, because I have no idea how you were able to get a 1.8 on these stock tires? Any pointers. Please!!! Granted, it was really cold and windy today. You are clearly the better driver.

Teach me!!! For the love of GOD, teach me!

Seriously though. Any words of advice?

Thanks man!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #23
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
UF4LIFE102SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2 SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL.
Posts: 4,145
J knows more than me. How is the track prep? Take some air out and practice.
__________________
UF4LIFE102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
AquaSSRS
 
AquaSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 427
With almost the same mods I went from a 13.04 to a 12.37 with just MT Drag radials on 18 inch rims. Cost me $1200 mounted, balanced and shipped to my door. I had the same problem with traction (manual trans) and bad 60ft times. I know I could have spent more time tweaking the launch technique and tire psi. But i work weekends and have kids so I can't get to track often. Also friday night track prep is horrible.
Keep your eye on the used wheel/tire sections. One week after i received mine, a set of z06 wheels and drag radials sold for like $600.
__________________
2013 Ashen gray ZL1 M6 with Roto-fab, Vmax TB, Pfadt headers, 10% pulley, JRE tuned. 11.459 @125mph. 566hp/517tq.
AquaSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Wow! You wanna come and race mine, because I have no idea how you were able to get a 1.8 on these stock tires? Any pointers. Please!!! Granted, it was really cold and windy today. You are clearly the better driver.

Teach me!!! For the love of GOD, teach me!

Seriously though. Any words of advice?

Thanks man!
It was prob about 45 out when I went. Maybe upper 40's tops. All I did was drop the air pressure into the low 20's, burned out just long enough to see a wisp of smoke and left at about 1000-1100 rpms. Nothing to difficult. Prob took about 4/5 passes to start cutting 1.8's. The car made 368/ 385 back then.

Make sure both the T/C and Stabilitrak are off.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
J knows more than me. How is the track prep? Take some air out and practice.
Yeah, I don't race enough to know how the "track prep" was but I'm sure it wasn't very warm with these temps? I brought the rear tires down to 24psi, revved the engine to about 12-1500 rpm's (while holding the brake) and tried to slowly roll on the throttle (with TC off and Stabilitrak on). Nothing I did worked today but I suppose it coulda been the weather? I was even breaking loose when she hit second. The good news is, she def has 12's in her with this MPH. Pretty happy about that!!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
It was prob about 45 out when I went. Maybe upper 40's tops. All I did was drop the air pressure into the low 20's, burned out just long enough to see a wisp of smoke and left at about 1000-1100 rpms. Nothing to difficult. Prob took about 4/5 passes to start cutting 1.8's. The car made 368/ 385 back then.

Make sure both the T/C and Stabilitrak are off.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I was on the right track. I did try a few runs with Stabilitrak off as well, but I just couldn't get her to bite.

In your opinion, would you get drag radials if you were me? If so, which ones?
Again, I don't plan to race it all of the time but it might be nice to get some consistency.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Yeah, I don't race enough to know how the "track prep" was but I'm sure it wasn't very warm with these temps? I brought the rear tires down to 24psi, revved the engine to about 12-1500 rpm's (while holding the brake) and tried to slowly roll on the throttle (with TC off and Stabilitrak on). Nothing I did worked today but I suppose it coulda been the weather? I was even breaking loose when she hit second. The good news is, she def has 12's in her with this MPH. Pretty happy about that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I was on the right track. I did try a few runs with Stabilitrak off as well, but I just couldn't get her to bite.

In your opinion, would you get drag radials if you were me? If so, which ones?
Again, I don't plan to race it all of the time but it might be nice to get some consistency.
Your rpms are way to high. Try 1000 and mash the gas. Any decent track your spinning will be minimal.

You can also drive around the water box then back the rear tires in to burnout. Driving through the water box with radial street tires will only drag water onto the track and ensure you spin.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
dot, racing, slicks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.