Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Crank Position Sensor. Help me find.

Ok, so my car killed on me at Starbucks. Took 6 or 7 times to get it to stay started. And the code once again was crank position sensor. Also threw a oil pressure sensor code this time. Oil pressure could have been because I kept having to restart it. (I was in the drive through line)

So which wire is it on the picture? All the wires look good and it's really tight. Changing it will be a major bitch looks like.

1. is a wire directly above the starter that you can't see.
2. is shown
3. is shown

Name:  20130511_185957.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  80.3 KB

Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
#2 is the crank sensor. Remove the starter and you can access the crank sensor easily.

#3 is the knock sensor.
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
PQ

Damn. What a pita.

How does that go bad? And with it inside the rest of the harnesses it's going to be a pain. I don't even know where it goes to.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
LSX Camaro

The harness will unplug from the sensor, then use a 10mm socket to remove the sensor retaining bolt. You can leave the wires connected to the starter, remove the bolts and slide it out of the way. This will give you enough room to remove the crank sensor.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
PQ

Odd that a sensor can just go bad like that. Of course if this is my problem that I've had the past 2 years then I'd very much like that.

So I guess it's order time.

Oh MAUREEEEEEEEN.................... lmao

Rodgers Chevrolet to the rescue. hahahaha
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
A quick check would be to backprobe the connector, one wire should have 5 volts + at key on, one wire should be ground and the other should have signal as you are turning the engine over by hand (socket on crank pulley etc). It should be on/off/on/off etc etc as the crankshaft reluctor ring passed over the sensor face.

if it doesn't register any signal, the sensor is probably bad, barring that the pin in the connector isn't getting a poor connection.

Specializing in LS performance and calibrations.
Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Ryan@gogwatney.com Aaron@gogwatney.com www.Gwatneyperformance.com
Home of THE Fastest Stock Displacement Naturally Aspirated GEN 5! 10.45@133.55
Rhino79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
CamaroLoco

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Damn. What a pita.

How does that go bad? And with it inside the rest of the harnesses it's going to be a pain. I don't even know where it goes to.
If it turns out that it's not the sensor (I replaced mine and it turned out to be something else), let me know.
CamaroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
LSX Camaro

I have seen issues with the harness rubbing on the motor mount bracket/block. The symptoms sound like a faulty crank sensor IMO.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
fourmz
Fourmz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1968 Firebird 1994 Z28
Quote:
Odd that a sensor can just go bad like that. Of course if this is my problem that I've had the past 2 years then I'd very much like that.

So I guess it's order time.

Oh MAUREEEEEEEEN.................... lmao

Rodgers Chevrolet to the rescue. hahahaha
Probably going to have to chalk it up to "S#%t Happens". My oil pressure sensor went out after 10 months. Replaced it and have had zero problems since.
Black-in-Black/Blue out 2010 2SS/RS LS-3 -Magnacharger TVS2300,OD cog belt drive, Janetty smooth idle blower cam,ID-850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump,MSD boost a pump, Janetty custom tune,Doug Thorley long tube headers, Corsa catback,C.A.I. Intake, Roto-Fab Big Gulp Scoop, Monster LT1/SC Clutch assembly,Eibach pro kit plus, BMR cradle/diff bushings, Barton Shifter,JRE 3.91 Eaton Tru-Trac rear diff,Barton Short Throw SHifter, Boss 339 20" wheels,Painted heritage grille, Sparks Restoration Inverted blue/black SS emblems, Seibon BB carbon fiber hood, ZL1 front bumper conversion.
fourmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Think about it this way. Everything breaks eventually. Eventually has to be sometime. Why not now?

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
A quick check would be to backprobe the connector, one wire should have 5 volts + at key on, one wire should be ground and the other should have signal as you are turning the engine over by hand (socket on crank pulley etc). It should be on/off/on/off etc etc as the crankshaft reluctor ring passed over the sensor face.

if it doesn't register any signal, the sensor is probably bad, barring that the pin in the connector isn't getting a poor connection.
Easier to just replace the sensor and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLoco View Post
If it turns out that it's not the sensor (I replaced mine and it turned out to be something else), let me know.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
I have seen issues with the harness rubbing on the motor mount bracket/block. The symptoms sound like a faulty crank sensor IMO.
Yup, I looked for any sign of that. I REALLY hoped to find some. But it all looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmz View Post
Probably going to have to chalk it up to "S#%t Happens". My oil pressure sensor went out after 10 months. Replaced it and have had zero problems since.
I'd have to take the blower back off to get to the OPS.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #12
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahemp View Post
Think about it this way. Everything breaks eventually. Eventually has to be sometime. Why not now?
I suppose. Be nice to get it to quit dying under load at idle speed. AND to get it to not hesitate when gassing on it. It will just sit there for a small moment when I put it in gear and push the gas. Then just go.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Pq have you ever checked your ignition system?
Checked spark plugs?
TB?
Checked on a dyno?
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
The old crank position sensor/check stabilitrac/ reduced power mode problem crops up again. Seems to occur for many when the battery is low or the starter is having difficulty turning the motor. I have it crop up occasionally since installing the ERL 500 cu in motor when the motor's hot, battery is hot......everything is hot. Once it cools down it will fire right up properly. We've pulled and checked everything. It's almost like the starter is pulling all the power/amperage from the battery and the ECU get's messed up temporarily. I'm going to run a larger gauge power wire from the battery first followed by a high torque starter.....if it will fit down there now.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
CamaroLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
The old crank position sensor/check stabilitrac/ reduced power mode problem crops up again. Seems to occur for many when the battery is low or the starter is having difficulty turning the motor. I have it crop up occasionally since installing the ERL 500 cu in motor when the motor's hot, battery is hot......everything is hot. Once it cools down it will fire right up properly. We've pulled and checked everything. It's almost like the starter is pulling all the power/amperage from the battery and the ECU get's messed up temporarily. I'm going to run a larger gauge power wire from the battery first followed by a high torque starter.....if it will fit down there now.
^
That's what it was for me....was happening 1-2 times a month (whether the engine was hot or cold)....battery was only 2yrs old....replaced it (after replacing the crankshaft sensor, insulating each individual wire in the harness, etc.) and it didn't happen again for about 6-7 months until the weather got hot.....then the engine would get hot as would the starter and she wouldn't crank until she cooled down a little.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
A lot of times even just adding a heavy ground from the battery to the engine will help reduce the current drop.

Specializing in LS performance and calibrations.
Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Ryan@gogwatney.com Aaron@gogwatney.com www.Gwatneyperformance.com
Home of THE Fastest Stock Displacement Naturally Aspirated GEN 5! 10.45@133.55
Rhino79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Pq have you ever checked your ignition system?
Checked spark plugs?
TB?
Checked on a dyno?
Yes to all. But not since the cel was beginning to come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Quote:
^
That's what it was for me....was happening 1-2 times a month (whether the engine was hot or cold)....battery was only 2yrs old....replaced it (after replacing the crankshaft sensor, insulating each individual wire in the harness, etc.) and it didn't happen again for about 6-7 months until the weather got hot.....then the engine would get hot as would the starter and she wouldn't crank until she cooled down a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
A lot of times even just adding a heavy ground from the battery to the engine will help reduce the current drop.
Are we saying it could just be the battery here?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
CamaroLoco

Are we saying it could just be the battery here?[/QUOTE]

In my case it was the battery in the end. I also know one other local Camaro owner who was having the same issue. He too replaced the battery and never had another problem.

Not saying it's your particular fix but keep it in mind if replacing the sensor doesn't work. I had mine checked before I replaced it and it was within specs. Replaced it anyway but kept having the same problem. Heard about another guy who had the same problem but in his case, it turned out to be a short in one of his wires....mine turned out to be the battery. There are few others on this forum who replaced their battery and the problem went away.

Now I've got to figure out a way to keep the starter from getting so hot. I have two inch primaries and I don't think a high torque starter will fit. I'm not sure I can wrap it in insulation either....there's not much room.

I'll try the thicker gauge battery cables that have been recommended.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
PQ

It would not hurt to change your battery. You have like 80K miles on your car and it could be the battery. But you have also had the car stalling ever since you got the CAM and tune if I remember correctly. So the sensor could of been going out all this time also and finally died.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
PQ

Quote:

In my case it was the battery in the end. I also know one other local Camaro owner who was having the same issue. He too replaced the battery and never had another problem.

Not saying it's your particular fix but keep it in mind if replacing the sensor doesn't work. I had mine checked before I replaced it and it was within specs. Replaced it anyway but kept having the same problem. Heard about another guy who had the same problem but in his case, it turned out to be a short in one of his wires....mine turned out to be the battery. There are few others on this forum who replaced their battery and the problem went away.

Now I've got to figure out a way to keep the starter from getting so hot. I have two inch primaries and I don't think a high torque starter will fit. I'm not sure I can wrap it in insulation either....there's not much room.

I'll try the thicker gauge battery cables that have been recommended.

Good luck.
Ok. I'll keep that in mind. The sensor is only 45.00 or so. Maybe I'll try the battery first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
PQ

It would not hurt to change your battery. You have like 80K miles on your car and it could be the battery. But you have also had the car stalling ever since you got the CAM and tune if I remember correctly. So the sensor could of been going out all this time also and finally died.
Yup, that's what I was thinking. So I'll just replace the sensor and see what happens.

Maybe I'll just put Bonnies Vette battery in mine to see too.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
LSX Camaro

One of the most important things to check for with an intermittent electrical issue are the grounds. Check both connections at the battery. The negative cable is a short cable that bolts to the truck pan. Make sure it is clean and tight.

In the engine compartment check the cable on the right cylinder head. It mounts to a stud and then to the inner fender area.

On my Camaro I eliminated the factory ground wire and installed two 2 gauge ground straps going from the body to the engine. This doubled the amount of ground cable from the engine to the body.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
PQ

Mine is still the stock battery and cables. 85k+ on the car. Blower and cam have been in almost half those miles.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
So do we get to the crank sensor from the bottom of the car?
SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- VMAX Throttle Body- 3.6 Pulley- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Nitto NT05 275/40/20- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
lincoln361 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
PQ

Wow. I forgot about this thread.

It was unrelated but my cam killed my engine. So I'm in hover mode.

Open the hood and see my torque converter. hahaha

Used 5th Gen Camaro with a helluva suspension and exhaust system.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Wow. I forgot about this thread.

It was unrelated but my cam killed my engine. So I'm in hover mode.

Open the hood and see my torque converter. hahaha

Used 5th Gen Camaro with a helluva suspension and exhaust system.
So where is the location of the sensor lol ha ha
SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- VMAX Throttle Body- 3.6 Pulley- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Nitto NT05 275/40/20- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
lincoln361 is online now   Reply With Quote