Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS L99
Zaino user, please teach me about Adams or other recommendations!

I like to mix things up. Looking for a polish (polymer based, sealant vs paint correction) or carnauba combo to try out from Adams or others you guys/gals prefer.

Long time Zaino user, and looking to see your thoughts on comparisons. I also have some P21S carnua that i used before, but not yet on the Camaro...

What do you all think would really enhance the AGM?

Thanks in advance.

DWH

Pic below with Zaino for reference...

SigPic by Hazman

Last edited by Demon War Horse; 09-18-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Spelling... Sheesh long day and pic
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Do you only want Adam's suggestions? If so, why?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Do you only want Adam's suggestions? If so, why?
By all means I have an open mind. I just see a lot of Adams on here. Please let me know a good suggestion or two!

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Beautiful car! Looks like you're maintaining it well already.

I'd be happy to make some recommendations from our Professional Line if needed, but I'm a little confused by your post - and this might be because you're coming from Zaino.

Quote:
Looking for a polish (polymer based, sealant vs paint correction) or carnauba combo to try
Really comparing 2 different aspects of detailing there with sealant vs. paint correction. Zaino relies on filling/masking more than correcting, which is a unique aspect to their products. They do their customers a little disservice by mis-categorizing the products which leads to confusion.

Polish = mixture of abrasive particles in a liquid suspension that thru a mechanical action 'levels' the clear coat to remove imperfections like swirls or scratches.

Sealant = a synthetic product that provides a sacrificial barrier between the elements and your paint. Doesn't do anything to correct imperfections and typically will have minimal impact on masking defects.

So I guess what I'm getting at - if you want to see the best results you'll need both products for paint correction and then a sealant to protect it. Not either / or.

Maybe Im mis reading your post though. Happy to help anyway I can.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Did you get a chance to see this yet? I pretty much did all the comparison work for you

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
Beautiful car! Looks like you're maintaining it well already.

I'd be happy to make some recommendations from our Professional Line if needed, but I'm a little confused by your post - and this might be because you're coming from Zaino.

Really comparing 2 different aspects of detailing there with sealant vs. paint correction. Zaino relies on filling/masking more than correcting, which is a unique aspect to their products. They do their customers a little disservice by mis-categorizing the products which leads to confusion.

Polish = mixture of abrasive particles in a liquid suspension that thru a mechanical action 'levels' the clear coat to remove imperfections like swirls or scratches.

Sealant = a synthetic product that provides a sacrificial barrier between the elements and your paint. Doesn't do anything to correct imperfections and typically will have minimal impact on masking defects.

So I guess what I'm getting at - if you want to see the best results you'll need both products for paint correction and then a sealant to protect it. Not either / or.

Maybe Im mis reading your post though. Happy to help anyway I can.
Thanks for the compliment. I love detailing the car. It is a good stress release for me. I may be confused on the products here coming from the Zaino world. I need to correct or fill some light scratches I got, but I am also looking for a good product to try that is new.

I like the depth, slickness and shine qualities of Zaino. I keep the car clean and it is not my daily, so maybe a good Carnuba is the way to go.

I am open minded, just looking for any edge to make the AGM pop. I plan on hitting some local shows and cruises and just like to have the car stand out a tad.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Did you get a chance to see this yet? I pretty much did all the comparison work for you

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418
I did actually. I also ordered a new wash, detail spray and two buckets. The paint on these is just so easy to scratch. I got a few on mine with decent microfibers, so I am upping my game to do better.

Can you do a Carnuba over a sealer?

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
DylanVK

Matts recommendation thread linked above is a great resource, although it doesn't recommend nearly enough SCG Pro products

You'll have to change how you think about this stuff a little coming from Zaino.

Imperfections and swirl marks will need to be corrected using polishes, pads, and a machine (no way around that - working by hand you'll never correct the paint fully)

Once corrected you can then move to your LSP's (last step products) which can be a sealant or a wax (or both) depending on your preference and needs. Since you mentioned its not daily and its well maintained you would be a prime candidate for a carnauba product for sure.

In terms of correction - depending on what kind of imperfections you might be dealing with our Rapid AIO is a great one step that will knock out minor swirls and finishes down incredibly clean - even deposits some wax at the same time as a nice base for a more substantial carnauba product.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Matts recommendation thread linked above is a great resource, although it doesn't recommend nearly enough SCG Pro products

You'll have to change how you think about this stuff a little coming from Zaino.

Imperfections and swirl marks will need to be corrected using polishes, pads, and a machine (no way around that - working by hand you'll never correct the paint fully)

Once corrected you can then move to your LSP's (last step products) which can be a sealant or a wax (or both) depending on your preference and needs. Since you mentioned its not daily and its well maintained you would be a prime candidate for a carnauba product for sure.

In terms of correction - depending on what kind of imperfections you might be dealing with our Rapid AIO is a great one step that will knock out minor swirls and finishes down incredibly clean - even deposits some wax at the same time as a nice base for a more substantial carnauba product.
I do have a PC type buffer and have used Menzera Super Intensive polish on another car, but the paint on this has me cautious to use anything too rough and risk cutting too far.

I do need to bite the bullet and give it a try. Is Rapid AIO pretty easy to use with a random orbital?

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
I did actually. I also ordered a new wash, detail spray and two buckets. The paint on these is just so easy to scratch. I got a few on mine with decent microfibers, so I am upping my game to do better.

Can you do a Carnuba over a sealer?
Awesome. Yes, you can absolutely top a sealant with carnauba.
Quote:

Hey now. I think you're mentioned in nearly every category I've tried.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
DylanVK

Quote:
I do have a PC type buffer and have used Menzera Super Intensive polish on another car, but the paint on this has me cautious to use anything too rough and risk cutting too far.

I do need to bite the bullet and give it a try. Is Rapid AIO pretty easy to use with a random orbital?
For best results you will need to polish, and if you have a PC you're all set (assuming you have the backing plate and grab some pads)

Menz SIP is a great polish, so if you still have that no reason you couldn't use it again if you wanted to.

Rapid is extremely easy to work with and is ideal for light to moderate correction work, which it sounds like your car will need. Its designed with speed in mind - one pad, one machine, one chemical, and a quick pass - you're done.

Quote:

Hey now. I think you're mentioned in nearly every category I've tried.
just felt like giving you a hard time.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
For best results you will need to polish, and if you have a PC you're all set (assuming you have the backing plate and grab some pads)

Menz SIP is a great polish, so if you still have that no reason you couldn't use it again if you wanted to.

Rapid is extremely easy to work with and is ideal for light to moderate correction work, which it sounds like your car will need. Its designed with speed in mind - one pad, one machine, one chemical, and a quick pass - you're done.

just felt like giving you a hard time.
I think I am going to try the AIO. What pad works best with ths product? I do have a backing plate. Not sure I have a new pad though. Will check to see what color I have.

Edit.... I have a Lake County Orange Light Cutting pad still sealed. Is this too light?

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
If anything it's too heavy. If you have a well maintained 2014 you shouldn't need anything more than the white LC pad. Always do a test spot to know for sure. You want the least aggressive pad to get the job done.
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberk1012 View Post
If anything it's too heavy. If you have a well maintained 2014 you shouldn't need anything more than the white LC pad. Always do a test spot to know for sure. You want the least aggressive pad to get the job done.
Thanks. I ordered a white polish pad to see how it does. The scratches I have a very light and not a huge deal, but I really want to get them out. I hate swirls, or anything like them.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

SigPic by Hazman

Last edited by Demon War Horse; 09-19-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
Speedbuggy

Drives: bad ass camaro
try klasse or duragloss.
Speedbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Got my Adams detail spray today. Enetered a show today for grins and still got a class winner trophy.

I really liked ths Adams product so far. Have a few other things coming from Surf City also to try and some Chemical guys microfibers.

Pretty good reflections in the sun today!

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #17
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Congrats on bringing home some hardware!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #18
DylanVK

Quote:
I think I am going to try the AIO. What pad works best with ths product? I do have a backing plate. Not sure I have a new pad though. Will check to see what color I have.

Edit.... I have a Lake County Orange Light Cutting pad still sealed. Is this too light?
That should be a good pad for the AIO.

The pads we sell are actually Lake Countrys Hydrotech foam... very similar in composition to the regular orange (tangerine) so you should see good results.

Nice part of the AIO is you can simply adjust your pad to suit the conditions. If you need less cut jump back to a white LC or the crimson hydrotech pad.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
I am a big fan of p21s; It can really pack a punch with just moderate effort.

With that said, I would recommend that you select a few detailing products and do a comparison (both live and with good digital pics) to see which type of finishing product you like the best. Sometimes you can get great results with a good combination of polishing and finishing products, along with using proven detailing techniques.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

I actually still have some P21S and tried it on the AGM. I think it brought out the metallic a little better than the Zaino did.

I like to keep up with products and see what works best for a given car that I have it on. My white Charger I had worked best with Zaino. This car may work better with sealers and carnuba.

I love trying out new stuff to see how it does.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I appreciate it. Once I get my polish, I wll try to get out those very fine scratches I found. Only noticible in direct sunlight at cetain angles. So is not too bad yet. But I won't let it get there. Hand washing only for this car.

I wipe it down each time I drive it, so I thas only needed two full washes so far in 3 months, but I know that will change. Just been lucky so far. Been caught in the rain 1 time and the initial wash when we got it home. I did not let the dealer do the make ready delivery detail. I knew better. I have seen dealers really mess up paint with buffers, so I opted out to do it ourselves. LOL

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
DylanVK

Quote:

I love trying out new stuff to see how it does.
Thats what its all about there!

Always fun to just try different products and see how they do. One of my favorite parts of my job is testing products from other manufactures as I work on our product development.