Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
toddbyrum
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10
Power drops in 6th gear…top speed governed?

I'm already loving this forum…you guys rock! Just bought my 1LE in Oklahoma and driving it back to San Diego. I've been at some pretty high elevation for a lot of the trip (been through Taos NM and took the high road to the Grand Canyon and then down to Sedoan AZ). Yesterday on my way to the Grand Canyon I was on some incredibly killer roads and ran the car pretty hard. Kept her at 120 mph for about 30 minutes straight…no kidding. What I've noticed is that from 120 + acceleration is slow especially in 6th gear. I was able to hit 135 at one point but it felt like it took forever to get there. I've heard these cars have a top speed of 155 mph but I'm not seeing it. Felt like a pig at anything over 120.

When I had the rpm's high in 5th it still pulled pretty strong but as soon as I drop her into 6th…..sluggishhhhhhhhh.

Everything is still stock…I'm thinking a aftermarket intake might help?
toddbyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,715
.... 6th gear loses power and the ability to accelerate. its supposed to be that way. 5th is your top speed gear
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
toddbyrum
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
.... 6th gear loses power and the ability to accelerate. its supposed to be that way. 5th is your top speed gear
so that is how it is designed? 6th gear is nothing more than a gas saving gear….no other use. You are saying that if I want to hit the car's top speed I need to do it in 5th. Just to be clear, I have the 1LE trans…m6060 or something like that.
toddbyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
toddbyrum
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10
"I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast"

- Ricky Bobby
toddbyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
SimpleGreen

 
Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbyrum View Post
so that is how it is designed? 6th gear is nothing more than a gas saving gear….no other use. You are saying that if I want to hit the car's top speed I need to do it in 5th. Just to be clear, I have the 1LE trans…m6060 or something like that.
6th gear is for cruising at highway speed. Just an overdrive gear. You'll notice that there is a significant drop in RPM from 5th to 6th. Shouldn't be using anything higher than 5th to haul ass, lol.
__________________
'13 1SS/1LE-Inferno Orange-Borla SType-Katzins-RotoFab-Elite Engineering-Michelin AS3-IOM Interior Pack
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature
 
VOGGS-LS3-1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbyrum View Post
I'm already loving this forum…you guys rock! Just bought my 1LE in Oklahoma and driving it back to San Diego. I've been at some pretty high elevation for a lot of the trip (been through Taos NM and took the high road to the Grand Canyon and then down to Sedoan AZ). Yesterday on my way to the Grand Canyon I was on some incredibly killer roads and ran the car pretty hard. Kept her at 120 mph for about 30 minutes straight…no kidding. What I've noticed is that from 120 + acceleration is slow especially in 6th gear. I was able to hit 135 at one point but it felt like it took forever to get there. I've heard these cars have a top speed of 155 mph but I'm not seeing it. Felt like a pig at anything over 120.

When I had the rpm's high in 5th it still pulled pretty strong but as soon as I drop her into 6th…..sluggishhhhhhhhh.

Everything is still stock…I'm thinking a aftermarket intake might help?
First manual trans car? Higher rpm = more power. Especially needed at higher speeds. 6th is geared to be a cruising gear. If you want speed run out all the gears....
__________________

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
1Slow6.2
 
1Slow6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 278
6th gear is pretty much the final drive of the 3:91 gear ratio. In turn it's basically a cruise gear not going to get much power output from that gear. I've pulled 120+ in fourth gear and it still gives me more. Not sure how these motors are built but you're asking for problems trying to pull those high numbers from that gear. Hence burning up a cylinder prob #8 since it's the furthest away from the the circulation of coolant.


If you're reading this objects In side view mirrors are losing as I'm rowing the 3:91's
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
KY1LE
 
KY1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 2SS,RS,NPP
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mt Washington, KY
Posts: 66
This may help in understanding what is going on. Both 5th and 6th are overdrive gears, 6th more so than 5th however.

MM6 w/ 3.91
1st gear ratio: 2.66 10.42
2nd gear ratio: 1.78 6.97
3rd gear ratio: 1.30 5.09
4th gear ratio: 1.00 3.91
5th gear ratio: 0.74 2.90
6th gear ratio: 0.50 1.96
KY1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
I could never afford a supercharger,but if one were installed,then would she pull in 6th?
__________________
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
trackguy
 
Drives: Grand-Am GSII #54 E36 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: So. NH
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbyrum View Post
so that is how it is designed? 6th gear is nothing more than a gas saving gear….no other use.
In a sense, yes. GM is required to meet agreed-upon CAFE targets, and six-speeds with very high sixth gears is part of how they do it. That gear is unrelated to wringing excitement out of the car.
trackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 View Post
6th gear is pretty much the final drive of the 3:91 gear ratio. In turn it's basically a cruise gear not going to get much power output from that gear. I've pulled 120+ in fourth gear and it still gives me more. Not sure how these motors are built but you're asking for problems trying to pull those high numbers from that gear. Hence burning up a cylinder prob #8 since it's the furthest away from the the circulation of coolant.


If you're reading this objects In side view mirrors are losing as I'm rowing the 3:91's
4th gear will get you to 130. When I dyno mine in 4th that's what it hits before reaching rev limiter.

If you only hit 135 you were NOT at high rpm's in 5th, or your shits just broken. From a gear perspective 5th could do 180-190 or so assuming you had the hp and aerodynamics to allow for it.

FYI....driving at 120 for 30 minutes is retarded. Even I push the limits a bit but that's bitch slapping fate in the face and asking for trouble Next time you'll end up with a huge ticket and no license or a reck. You basically bet there wasn't a cop within 60 miles...stupid!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL
 
CamaroDreams76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South West FL
Posts: 309
These cars have no problem pulling up to that 155 limiter. 4th gear I've hit 132 and hit the rev limiter/fuel cut. 5th still pulls over that.
__________________
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Rod Knock
 
Rod Knock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro SS convertible
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
4th gear will get you to 130. When I dyno mine in 4th that's what it hits before reaching rev limiter.
..... You basically bet there wasn't a cop within 60 miles...stupid!
Whens the last time you drove open roads (not interstate) out west? You may drive 60 miles and not see another car, much less a cop. That said, personally I do most of my really high speed driving on the track.
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband
 
vinman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 2,305
4th will hit 155 on an regular SS, I've seen it on the dyno, mine hits about 152 in 4th
__________________

UPSTATE C5 MEMBER

Last edited by vinman; 01-20-2014 at 02:29 PM.
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
Camaro Dude
and Sledge
 
Camaro Dude's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 1LE, 2SS, NPP
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I could never afford a supercharger,but if one were installed,then would she pull in 6th?
YUP!

One of the beauties of FI applications, is no need to downshift when overtaking someone on a 2-lane road.

TDI dudes know this more than anyone else, compared to their gasser counterparts.

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 01-19-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
toddbyrum
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10
All good feedback…much appreciated. I didn't want to push the rpms too much because the car had 880 miles when I picked it up so I would think it is still breaking in. Wasn't sure about 6th just being an over-drive gear because, well, it is a bitchin track car. I bought this car to drive it….I highly recommend the Valentine V1 radar detector, saved me several times. The 64 out of Farmington, NM goes into Navajo Nation towards the Grand Canyon and the road is as straight as an arrow….the car handled amazing and 120 started to feel like 80…..you blend into the road with very few cars around. This car was built to go fast and it likes going fast. You can drive it or park it in your garage but I recommend driving it. I've seen some beautiful country over the last few days.

Enid, OK (where I bought car) to:
Clayton, NM (first night) to:
Taos, NM (amazing drive….really got a feel for the cornering cruising up the mountain) to:
Farmington, NM (beautiful country but the roads where super bumpy and there was salt in the mountains….took the 64, the high road….still no freeways or interstates) to:
Grand Canyon (stayed on the 64 to 160 through Navajo Nation…..fun fun fun drive, scenery the whole way) to:
Sedona, NM (beautiful coming down into the valley….highly recommend although traffic starts picking up here and couldn't drive hard) to:
Palm Desert, CA (interstates….scenic drive though….finally put on the cruise control and relaxed)

heading over the pass through Temecula today….lots of curves and backroads, will be fun.
toddbyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Edzo
 
Edzo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 260
Even 5th is an overdrive gear. 4th is 1:1.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbyrum View Post
All good feedback…much appreciated. I didn't want to push the rpms too much because the car had 880 miles when I picked it up so I would think it is still breaking in. Wasn't sure about 6th just being an over-drive gear because, well, it is a bitchin track car. I bought this car to drive it….I highly recommend the Valentine V1 radar detector, saved me several times. The 64 out of Farmington, NM goes into Navajo Nation towards the Grand Canyon and the road is as straight as an arrow….the car handled amazing and 120 started to feel like 80…..you blend into the road with very few cars around. This car was built to go fast and it likes going fast. You can drive it or park it in your garage but I recommend driving it. I've seen some beautiful country over the last few days.

Enid, OK (where I bought car) to:
Clayton, NM (first night) to:
Taos, NM (amazing drive….really got a feel for the cornering cruising up the mountain) to:
Farmington, NM (beautiful country but the roads where super bumpy and there was salt in the mountains….took the 64, the high road….still no freeways or interstates) to:
Grand Canyon (stayed on the 64 to 160 through Navajo Nation…..fun fun fun drive, scenery the whole way) to:
Sedona, NM (beautiful coming down into the valley….highly recommend although traffic starts picking up here and couldn't drive hard) to:
Palm Desert, CA (interstates….scenic drive though….finally put on the cruise control and relaxed)

heading over the pass through Temecula today….lots of curves and backroads, will be fun.
Hey Todd,a bunch of are running Fontana May 4th,you should come out and put her through her paces.
__________________
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Hey Todd,a bunch of are running Fontana May 4th,you should come out and put her through her paces.
Yes, this events is very popular with Todds, as i will be there too

-Todd
__________________
Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Cam, Longtubes, CAI. 496 RWHP, 473 RW Ft-Lb
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #20
Billy10mm
 
Billy10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hartsdale, NY
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
.... 6th gear loses power and the ability to accelerate. its supposed to be that way. 5th is your top speed gear
This is false. To say it "loses power" makes it sounds as though engine management is retarding timing or limiting air/fuel in 6th gear, and that clearly isn't happening. What should be said, is that 6th is a really tall gear designed to help bring the highway fuel mileage numbers up to help the Camaro SS avoid a gas guzzler tax and will provide "less than impressive" acceleration characteristics.

OP - as others have pointed out, top speed is achieved in 5th, not 6th.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Yes, this events is very popular with Todds, as i will be there too

-Todd
Hey Todds sweet
__________________
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
markgws6
 
markgws6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 748
I heard some parts of Utah and Texas have speed limits at at 80 or 85. But I'm sure if a cop were to pull up behind you there and clock you going 130+ they would have no problem writing up a ticket for you. There is no "American Autobahn." that I know of. Montana used to have no speed "limits" but they changed that a while ago. Closest thing to legally doing this would be to run the Silver State Classic or similar event...
__________________
2013 AGM 1SS/1LE, NPP, Camera
(1 of 43)

Performance: CAI intake, ZR1 diff fluid, Castrol Dot4 brake fluid, Russell brake lines, SLP skip-shift override, SRP Racing Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, No Spare tire inflator (at the track), NPP fuse pull, octane fuse reset
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #23
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Yes, this events is very popular with Todds, as i will be there too

-Todd
Hey Todd,just remembered you were supposed to run Willow,did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I heard some parts of Utah and Texas have speed limits at at 80 or 85. But I'm sure if a cop were to pull up behind you there and clock you going 130+ they would have no problem writing up a ticket for you. There is no "American Autobahn." that I know of. Montana used to have no speed "limits" but they changed that a while ago. Closest thing to legally doing this would be to run the Silver State Classic or similar event...
Hey Mark....mmmmmmm Silverstate.I wont be running in May,but will in the Sept.race,you should do this with me as well.Here's a little sample.This is me from May 2013 5th place I get right up to speed at 140 mph
The 2nd one is pretty wild http://www.sscc.us/videos.aspx
__________________
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Hey Todd,just remembered you were supposed to run Willow,did you?
Hey cornerspeed, I will be running Big Willow 2/15 - 2/16 in the Camaro, provided it's out of the shop by then. It's getting a 4 point roll bar, Sparco Evo seats and a 6 point harness. Tubing bender is backlogged, I want my orange monster back!
__________________
Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Cam, Longtubes, CAI. 496 RWHP, 473 RW Ft-Lb
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #25
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Hey cornerspeed, I will be running Big Willow 2/15 - 2/16 in the Camaro, provided it's out of the shop by then. It's getting a 4 point roll bar, Sparco Evo seats and a 6 point harness. Tubing bender is backlogged, I want my orange monster back!
: drool::d rool::dr ool:
That thing must be phucking beast,cant wait to see it
__________________
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
6th gear slow, after market intake, sluggish top speed

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.