Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
BigV
 
Drives: 2013 1LT AGM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9
Daily driver mods?

Hi all. I'm picking up a CPO 2013 1LT this afternoon and wanted this community's opinions on daily driver mods. As I mentioned in my new member intro, I'm not looking to track or race my car, but to make it look, sound, and perform well for what I want to do with it; which is have a good looking and solidly performing daily driver. Most mod suggestions on this board point to a CAI, usually by CAI as the first mod for the car, along with some sort exhaust (axle or cat back, for better sound), as these would be the only real performance mods, save a catch can, that I would be considering given my intentions, are these performance mods really necessary; and will I notice a huge difference in performance if I make them?

Lastly, anyone know how Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana is on warranty work if I make the mods listed above?
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
rsv07
 
rsv07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hi all. I'm picking up a CPO 2013 1LT this afternoon and wanted this community's opinions on daily driver mods. As I mentioned in my new member intro, I'm not looking to track or race my car, but to make it look, sound, and perform well for what I want to do with it; which is have a good looking and solidly performing daily driver. Most mod suggestions on this board point to a CAI, usually by CAI as the first mod for the car, along with some sort exhaust (axle or cat back, for better sound), as these would be the only real performance mods, save a catch can, that I would be considering given my intentions, are these performance mods really necessary; and will I notice a huge difference in performance if I make them?

Lastly, anyone know how Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana is on warranty work if I make the mods listed above?
None of the above will void your warranty.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
BigV
 
Drives: 2013 1LT AGM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9
That's good to know and what I figured based upon past posts. Do you think I'll notice the improvements enough to validate the cost? Or would I be better off concentrating on aesthetics first (I know it's a personal preference kind of thing, but never having modded a car before, I'm not sure).
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
rsv07
 
rsv07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 73
I thought the same thing initially. The CAI was immediately noticeable. Maybe not so much in the butt dyno (mine may not be calibrated correctly though ), but certainly in the sound.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
That's good to know and what I figured based upon past posts. Do you think I'll notice the improvements enough to validate the cost? Or would I be better off concentrating on aesthetics first (I know it's a personal preference kind of thing, but never having modded a car before, I'm not sure).
I'm doing a mix of the both. I also have a V6 DD and love it. Mine is black, so I tinted the windows to 15%, blacked out all the emblems, plasti dipped the tail light bezels and smoked out the exterior lights (excepted head lights) with a smoke vinyl. Everything you can still see through just fine when lights are on (brake lights for example).

Also ordered CAI from CAI and will be doing MRT v.2 exhaust but that will most likely be the extent of my "performance" mods until my warranty is up..

I am going to get a front spltter and some side rockers, little update to factory sound and some interior lighting. Nothing too crazy and "cheaper" mods.

One thing I am looking at is getting a matte black vinyl wrap for my hood.
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,577
Mine's my DD, and I plan to do:

*CAI
*Axel back exhaust
*Ported TB
*Catch can/breather (done already)

Plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff...
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights -- Gen5DIY Dash ABL -- Diode Dynamics Cupholder Lighting
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Intake.
Exhaust.
Catch Can-right away!!
Synthetic oil in diff.
Same in transmission (if you were cool enough to get the manual.)
Tint those windows!!

Those are damn good starts. The dealer will tear a hole thru your wallet, find a reputable shop if you can to ease the pain. Also realize you probably ALREADY know more about your car than most dealer service advisers. Or more bluntly: most are total idiots. Go in there armed with knowledge, your best friend!
__________________
From my cold dead hands......
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Intake.
Exhaust.
Catch Can-right away!!
Synthetic oil in diff.
Same in transmission (if you were cool enough to get the manual.)
Tint those windows!!

Those are damn good starts. The dealer will tear a hole thru your wallet, find a reputable shop if you can to ease the pain. Also realize you probably ALREADY know more about your car than most dealer service advisers. Or more bluntly: most are total idiots. Go in there armed with knowledge, your best friend!
I still want to get a catch can. I only have about 800 miles, but have read on here people get a weird "hissing" noise after install?
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Only if its installed wrong. Its literally a 15 minute install. SO EASY. When you do your first oil change and drain a couple ounces of black goo out of it that otherwise WOULD have go thru your intake you will be SO glad you got one.
__________________
From my cold dead hands......
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Only if its installed wrong. Its literally a 15 minute install. SO EASY. When you do your first oil change and drain a couple ounces of black goo out of it that otherwise WOULD have go thru your intake you will be SO glad you got one.
Really? Which one do you have? It looked a little more in depth with cutting tubes and stuff, wouldn't want to mess anything up.
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,400
Also, does this void your warranty? I get free oil changes at the dealership I bought my car from, so on my first oil change they will see the can, and hoping that owoukdn't void my warranty or oil changes..
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Aubrey64


 
Aubrey64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,687
I have a CAI on my DD and I love it! I think that it is a great one to start with
__________________
Aubrey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
yzark99
Photochopping your dreams
 
yzark99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OR there
Posts: 835
Start with a PTB. So amazing I don't even want a CAI now.
__________________
.
View my Top 3 LFX Performance Modifications (and 40+ more): http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post6961572
.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
Start with a PTB. So amazing I don't even want a CAI now.
except that voids your warranty if I remember correctly..
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.