Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Adam's T.I.D. vs. Werkstat Satin Prot

So the guys at Adam's graciously offered me their new Total Interior Detailer to pit against my favorite interior product- Werkstat Satin Prot. I jumped at this because I've had the TID kit in my cart at Adam's Polishes for a while now, and just hadn't gotten around to opening my wallet yet.

I was enticed by the all-in-one properties, with a slight cleaning power, no-grease finish, SPF protection, and the dust repellency. In fact, I was so excited to try it that I got the package 4 hours ago and I'm writing this review right now Dylan even threw in a pack of utility towels for me, which just goes to show you this company goes above and beyond where they really don't have to

Werkstat advertises the exact same qualities on theirs, cleaner, satin finish, protection. They don't specifically claim to repel dust, but say it won't attract dust.

Couple things before we get started- I don't know how to accurately measure UV protection. These are both supposed to have it, so let's just assume that's true and remove it from the comparison. Another thing is that this is an initial review, obviously I can't comment on how well one repels dust over the other right now. What I'm going to do is coat 1/2 of the dash with one, and the other half with the other and see if there's any difference. My interior never really gets all that dusty though, so we'll see if I have anything to add on that front.

Ok, let's get down to it.

First, a price comparison. These can both be used on the same materials, although I'd say that you might tend to use more of the Adam's.

PRICE
Adam's TID: $12.95/16oz= $0.81/oz
Werkstat Satin Prot: $12.95/16.9oz= $0.77/oz

Advantage: Tie

The Camaro interior basically has two main materials. 1) The godawful plastic crap manufactured from the bowels of hell, and 2) The pretty subpar "leather." I wanted to compare these two products on both of these surfaces and see if there were differences. For this purpose, I used a door panel, and the leather armrest portion on the door panel. I considered these to be the easiest, flattest places where I could get 50/50 shots.

First step was to thoroughly clean the surfaces to make sure I had any previous treatments removed. This was done with my new favorite all-in-one cleaner, GTechniq W2 at a 10:1 dilution and a Adam's Utility Towel.

Name:  IMG_20130514_135124.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  63.9 KB

Once cleaned, I taped off my divider. Adam's TID will be on the top, Werkstat on the bottom. We're testing the plastic crap first.

Name:  IMG_20130514_135654.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  72.2 KB

Couple notes on application. The edge in ease of application goes to Adam's TID here. You spray on the surface to be treated, and spread with a microfiber towel. Couldn't be easier, but care needs to be taken around windows, as a spray is fundamentally less controllable. The way I apply Satin Prot is to spritz it onto a foam applicator, wipe it on, and then go back over with a microfiber towel to make sure there isn't any excess. Satin Prot is a slightly more viscous product, so it seems to spread further.

Ease of Application: Adam's

When I pulled up the tape, it was very clear that both worked very well. You can clearly see a marked improvement over the untreated strip.

In garage lighting:
Name:  IMG_20130514_135720.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  76.1 KB

In sunlight:
Name:  IMG_20130514_135906.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  73.9 KB

Werkstat clearly leave the black plastic looking darker. I believe that the appearance component of this is completely up to opinion. Both dried very cleanly, no grease or stickiness.

Next we'll move onto the "leather"

Again, the area is prepped with W2 and a microfiber towel and divided with tape.

Before:
Name:  IMG_20130514_140258.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  62.0 KB

I apologize for the lines, the tape did not want to adhere to the leather very cleanly:

Adam's is on the left, Werkstat on the right

Garage Lighting:
Name:  IMG_20130514_140551.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  60.2 KB

Sunlight:
Name:  IMG_20130514_140822.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20130514_140828.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  70.0 KB

Again, the Werkstat seems to leave a darker black look. However, I don't think the difference is nearly as dramatic on leather as it was on plastic. The pictures may not show that, but I have terrible photography skills and a cell phone camera. Trust me, the leather was a lot closer than plastic in terms of appearance.

Appearance: Werkstat*
Major asterisk here, because this is only what looks good to my eyes. I like the darker, richer look. Many probably would prefer the more muted look of Adam's. They both provide a great improvement over untreated surface.

Scent: Adam's
I really like the clean, mild soap smell. It's not overbearing, just makes it smell fresh inside. I don't consider Werkstat to be scented at all.

Overall, what's the verdict? Both.

You honestly couldn't go wrong with either of these products. On my car, I'll probably continue to use Satin Prot because I like the deeper black look. But I might try a regimen where I use Satin Prot as my base and use TID weekly to remove any dust and just spruce it up.

Interior care was one of my biggest gripes with Adam's before. I found their system to be clunky and complicated, with the cleaner, then the water wipe, then the conditioner. That's not like Adam's, which normally produces easy to use, quality product. I think that the Total Interior Detailer is a huge step forward for them. I would not hesitate for a minute to pull this out for use on any project.

Thanks again, Dylan. It's always an honor to work with you guys.

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 06-04-2013 at 04:21 PM.
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
KJ2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/M6
Nice review. I love the TID. Also, props to you for putting yourself in a position to get free stuff!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Thanks for the review!

So does this replace other interior products in their lineup or is it just an addition, because it seems that now they have a couple doing the same thing.

Also do either have any sealant properties (like Adams Leather Conditioner) or are they cleaners primarily (I know GTechniq has L1 for leather surfaces)
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Thanks for the review!

So does this replace other interior products in their lineup or is it just an addition, because it seems that now they have a couple doing the same thing.

Also do either have any sealant properties (like Adams Leather Conditioner) or are they cleaners primarily (I know GTechniq has L1 for leather surfaces)
In my opinion, the rest of the lineup still has it's place. The cleaner would still be used for dirty interiors, and should be followed by the creme conditioner. This product is for people who keep their interior clean, only need a very light cleansing, and will apply it regularly to keep the interior looking nice.

Neither of these would be classified a sealant, or anything like L1. I've been testing some L1 and I'm not 100% sure what I think about it yet. These would both need to be reapplied fairly regularly. I can't speak for Adam's yet, but I generally go over my Satin Prot quarterly or so.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
great review!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thanks for the review!

Judging by the pictures, the finish the Werkstat leaves looks nearly identical to that of our Leather and Interior Conditioner. Slightly darker with a little more gloss. As you mentioned, purely preference when it comes to the finish of your interior...similar to how one prefers their tires to look.

And yes, this has it's place in our lineup but doesn't serve as a replacement for our Leather and Interior Cleaner (which is for more heavily soiled areas) or Leather and Interior Conditioner (which offers more SPF protection), it sits somewhere in between them as a nice compromise of both products.

For well maintained interiors, this is an ideal product. For something needing heavy cleaning/conditioning, turn to our Cleaner/Conditioner combo!

Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Awesome! I got mine in the mail last week but because I hadn't properly cleaned my car since I bought it 2 and a half years ago I went with the cleaner/conditioner combo this weekend and MAN does that stuff look amazing.

I'll start using my TID in a couple of weeks when it's time for the interior to be dusted/cleaned up some.

Thanks for the review and great work as always Matt
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Thanks for the review Matt.

Judging from the pictures, I think that this isn't the product for me either as I love the deep dark look, but I can see why others would want them if they like a more muted dressed look.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Just got mine today with my mystery box will give it a whirl over the weekend. Just for haha's I ordered their mystery box and wouldn't you figure leather conditioner and leather cleaner, now I just need to get a car with leather.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS2010SS View Post
Just got mine today with my mystery box will give it a whirl over the weekend. Just for haha's I ordered their mystery box and wouldn't you figure leather conditioner and leather cleaner, now I just need to get a car with leather.
They are actually Leather AND INTERIOR Cleaner and Leather AND INTERIOR Conditioner.

As the name implies, you can use them both on door panels, dashes, center consoles.....much more than just leather.

Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Thanks Nick I just took them out and added to my shelves didn't read other than leather
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Damn I've been wanting to try an Adam's product for the first time but I love my Werkstat too much to cheat on her.
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
Damn I've been wanting to try an Adam's product for the first time but I love my Werkstat too much to cheat on her.
It did feel kind of wrong. I know I'm in trouble, she won't even take her label off for me tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Thanks for the review Matt. Mine just arrived today as well so I'll be working with it this weekend. The 68 is coming out of hibernation this weekend and I think it's going to be an interior detailing weekend.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Thanks CD07! I'm really interested to hear about the dust repelling properties - I'm using the Adam's Leather and Interior Cleaner + Conditioner combo right now and may have to try this when I run out.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
Mine held the dust off about 5 total days and by the 7th the dust started returning. I really like the TID alot
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Wow, both these products look pretty good.

I'm still stuck on the Ultima Interior Guard bandwagon, lol.