Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,609
Who can port a SS manifold?

Looks like I'm going to put my hands on a second SS manifold and I'll be looking for someone to port and polish it for me. Who can do it?

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,609
Looks like nobody.
__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
xjer22x

 
xjer22x's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hoffman estates, il
Posts: 913
lol well seeing as the manifolds are made out of Nylon.. or a plastic basically. They cant be polished. And porting them would be very difficult due to the material as well. Thats why there aren't many responses. I would also think the V8 bolt on section would be a better spot for this too mayb. Good luck with results.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,069
We do them (never polish a port job...that was what we did in the 60's and 70's before we found it cost power) but they are so time consuming dont really advertise. I have several yet to finish here. When we get a 5 axis CNC machine we will develope a program to do them.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
xjer22x

 
xjer22x's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hoffman estates, il
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We do them (never polish a port job...that was what we did in the 60's and 70's before we found it cost power) but they are so time consuming dont really advertise. I have several yet to finish here. When we get a 5 axis CNC machine we will develope a program to do them.

Good to know! Thanks for chiming in. What would it cost to do something like that? i might know a guy interested.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,535
I do them, but more so on in house builds.
__________________

Home of the quickest street driven late model gm vehicles!
Aaron@gogwatney.com
Ryan@gogwatney.com
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
drayco513
 
drayco513's Avatar
 
Drives: ss2/rs
Join Date: May 2013
Location: east ky
Posts: 77
its pretty much a waste of time. unless u just taking it off anyway . if u look at most of the sponsors that port them do a lil research u will see they dont do as advertised . but they will see some do 3-5 rwhp. but u see some do 3-5 loss too. if u going bigger tb , bigger c.i.d. then i would look into it more but dont see the chances and money being spent on it. ive seen alot of 3rd party testing and it 75% of the time or more . they show no gains to -2 to +2 hp the other 24% . the other 1% is the +3 range lol
drayco513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,535
I literally picked up 12 rwtq and 15 rwhp on my friends cammed ls3 car, with only intake manifold modifications. Testing was done within 2 hrs on the same day, same conditions, and no tuning changes. AFR was the same, timing was the same. You just have to know what to modify, its not just a "hog it out" ordeal.
__________________

Home of the quickest street driven late model gm vehicles!
Aaron@gogwatney.com
Ryan@gogwatney.com
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We do them (never polish a port job...that was what we did in the 60's and 70's before we found it cost power) but they are so time consuming dont really advertise. I have several yet to finish here. When we get a 5 axis CNC machine we will develope a program to do them.

I'm interested.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by drayco513 View Post
its pretty much a waste of time. unless u just taking it off anyway . if u look at most of the sponsors that port them do a lil research u will see they dont do as advertised . but they will see some do 3-5 rwhp. but u see some do 3-5 loss too. if u going bigger tb , bigger c.i.d. then i would look into it more but dont see the chances and money being spent on it. ive seen alot of 3rd party testing and it 75% of the time or more . they show no gains to -2 to +2 hp the other 24% . the other 1% is the +3 range lol
I don't think it a waste of time and I'm going to get one done as well as have the throttle body ported.. Just so happens that I have a deal with another member to buy a take off manifold and I will do the heater hose re-location when I swap out the manifold.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
I literally picked up 12 rwtq and 15 rwhp on my friends cammed ls3 car, with only intake manifold modifications. Testing was done within 2 hrs on the same day, same conditions, and no tuning changes. AFR was the same, timing was the same. You just have to know what to modify, its not just a "hog it out" ordeal.
Cool Thx.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
drayco513
 
drayco513's Avatar
 
Drives: ss2/rs
Join Date: May 2013
Location: east ky
Posts: 77
rhino , not sayin it cant be done but u know as well as me. most dont see those gains. but it does happen time to time. merc i hope u do gain something. but dont be disappointed when its not what they tell u. just do a quick search on ls1tech or google .
make sure u say ls3 intake. cause yes other intakes do respond much better to porting.
drayco513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by drayco513 View Post
rhino , not sayin it cant be done but u know as well as me. most dont see those gains. but it does happen time to time. merc i hope u do gain something. but dont be disappointed when its not what they tell u. just do a quick search on ls1tech or google .
make sure u say ls3 intake. cause yes other intakes do respond much better to porting.
Thx Bud. My goal is to get close to the top of the "Bolt on with no internals" fast list and as you may well know that's a very tuff sandbox to play in.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,535
There is work to do other than just porting and removing material. That's where the gains are. I agree just removing material, and generic porting will not yield gains. It didn't on my car. But when I researched some more, I found some good info on things to try, and they did help, to my surprise....lol. I have done it on about 3-4 cars now and all have shown similar gains. Porting the ports does nothing, opening the throat up does nothing, cutting the stands out does nothing. Actually I will say that without touching any of those areas, I can get 5-10 tq and about that much power too!
__________________

Home of the quickest street driven late model gm vehicles!
Aaron@gogwatney.com
Ryan@gogwatney.com
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.