Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
FLOWMASTER
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
cam99

 
cam99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pittsburgh area
Posts: 1,418
intercooler pump questions

Does the intercooler pump run anytime the key is on, or just under boost conditions, or at a certain temperature? Want to verify operation, but not sure when it will be on. I would assume if you take the intercooler res cap off during operation you should see some water movement. Also is there a way to install a switch to run constant so temp can be lowered while sitting in the staging lanes at the track.
__________________
2012 CTF ZL1-stock

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Blown355
 
Blown355's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 738
Then pump should come on a few minutes after start up, and run the entire time.

When I upgraded my pump, I wired in a switch. There are 3 wires going into the pump. If I remember correctly, wire 4 is brown and is the hot wire. I ran a wire from it up to a switch I put on the bracket under the fuse box. For the hot lead, I hooked to the "bolt" on the front of the fuse box. Always put a fuse inline. I also have the stock fans wired to come on, on low speed with another switch.
__________________
2012 ZL1
10 spoke
M6
ECF

Last edited by Blown355; 05-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
The Baron

 
The Baron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 zl1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: st louis
Posts: 838
I thought about bypassing mine so it could run while the car was off, that's when it needs to run.. the car jyst flat needs a ice tank if you are not willing to spray meth...
__________________

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
flyingskibiker
 
flyingskibiker's Avatar
 
Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South SF Bay, CA
Posts: 228
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
You can also jumper at the relay, I'm pretty sure (is done to fans). Also, if you are adding another power supply line to an existing one, you should install a couple diodes...
__________________
1968 SS w/ 1966 427/425 Sequoia Green w/ Bumble Bee stripe. Always working on it...
Drooling over the ZL1s. It will be my next car if I can manage to pull it off...
flyingskibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
05stram

 
Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
I thought about bypassing mine so it could run while the car was off, that's when it needs to run.. the car jyst flat needs a ice tank if you are not willing to spray meth...

why - heat soak? you trying to drive up supercharger efficiency from a heat soaked engine? I am confused by your statement. Why not circulate the entire cooling system for you theory? Just asking as I have never heard anyone just worry about one portion of the equation.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
oldfriend


 
Drives: Fiat 500 E
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32.7607/N. 16.95947/W
Posts: 7,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
why - heat soak? you trying to drive up supercharger efficiency from a heat soaked engine? I am confused by your statement. Why not circulate the entire cooling system for you theory? Just asking as I have never heard anyone just worry about one portion of the equation.
The way I see it , he want to have the hability to kep it running even after the engine is turned off , for a period of time ( I think) to help cool the engine faster
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
cam99

 
cam99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pittsburgh area
Posts: 1,418
The idea is in the staging lanes at the drag strip you can have the intercooler pump running continueous while you are waiting for the next pass to help reduce the amount of heat soak in the blower. An ice tank helps this alot because you can keep adding ice to cool the fluid (water) since there is no air passing through the intercooler while you are sitting
__________________
2012 CTF ZL1-stock

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
05stram

 
Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
The idea is in the staging lanes at the drag strip you can have the intercooler pump running continueous while you are waiting for the next pass to help reduce the amount of heat soak in the blower. An ice tank helps this alot because you can keep adding ice to cool the fluid (water) since there is no air passing through the intercooler while you are sitting

ok gotcha
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Blown355
 
Blown355's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 738
I wired the hx pump and one of the factory fans to come on with one switch. That way you're not only circulating the hx coolant around, but also pulling air through the hx. Works great at the track. Flip the switch on, close your hood and head to the staging lanes. Factory fan and pump running the entire time.
__________________
2012 ZL1
10 spoke
M6
ECF
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
cam99

 
cam99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pittsburgh area
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
I wired the hx pump and one of the factory fans to come on with one switch. That way you're not only circulating the hx coolant around, but also pulling air through the hx. Works great at the track. Flip the switch on, close your hood and head to the staging lanes. Factory fan and pump running the entire time.
This sounds perfect. Where did you tap into the fan and pump circuits?
__________________
2012 CTF ZL1-stock

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,069
Ice is such a hassel to drain and replace and the added weight......do this and never worry again, and ice cant come close to colling this well:


In the staging lanes, switch to "competition mode" and so there is no water to drip, and your looking at 30-40 rwhp gain on a stock ZL1 with the low IAT's. Watch close the video as it shows ambient air temps (outside air), IAT2's, intercoller coolant, engine coolant, throttle position, etc. After a has 30-40 seconds of WOT we switch it on......nothing will cool as efficiently or as quickly as long as you like and not rob any HP and it only adds 18-19#'s total.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
alssiri

 
alssiri's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 A6
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Ice is such a hassel to drain and replace and the added weight......do this and never worry again, and ice cant come close to colling this well:


In the staging lanes, switch to "competition mode" and so there is no water to drip, and your looking at 30-40 rwhp gain on a stock ZL1 with the low IAT's. Watch close the video as it shows ambient air temps (outside air), IAT2's, intercoller coolant, engine coolant, throttle position, etc. After a has 30-40 seconds of WOT we switch it on......nothing will cool as efficiently or as quickly as long as you like and not rob any HP and it only adds 18-19#'s total.
SuperChiller is the way to go I have it on my MagnaCharged SS & my ZL1 .
Never worry about power drop cause of heat soak or Boost drop cause of hot IAT's .

Ahmad
__________________
2012 ZL1 A6
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X Pipe Muffler, SW Retro Chambered + BlackHeart AxelBack, ADM 102mm Snout, JLT intake, NW 102mm TB, ID850, AGP Dual Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Denso Plugs, Moroso CC.
D3 Reservoir, Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
2015 Rear Fascia Conversion, Z/28 Side Skirts, Flares, Spoiler & Diffuser , ACS Quarter Ports, ShowStopper's Side Marker's, LightWurkz Halo's.
Sosche With KenWood, SLP pod with PLX guage, DashLogic .
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,714
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Ice is such a hassel to drain and replace and the added weight......do this and never worry again, and ice cant come close to colling this well:


In the staging lanes, switch to "competition mode" and so there is no water to drip, and your looking at 30-40 rwhp gain on a stock ZL1 with the low IAT's. Watch close the video as it shows ambient air temps (outside air), IAT2's, intercoller coolant, engine coolant, throttle position, etc. After a has 30-40 seconds of WOT we switch it on......nothing will cool as efficiently or as quickly as long as you like and not rob any HP and it only adds 18-19#'s total.
HOLY SHIT.................. I want one.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
crg
 
Drives: '68 Camaro SS, '74 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 30
I know that it bypasses the factory hx when the ac is on, but would you also benefit from larger hx for winter months or while at wot. Just wondering a out having engine tuned with such low iat and when on the hx the tune being off
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.