Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Previews 2014 Chevrolet SEMA Concepts

Chevrolet Previews Performance-Inspired SEMA Cars
SS, Impala, Sonic and Cruze demonstrate possibilities of personalization
General Motors

October 16, 2014

DETROIT – Chevrolet today previewed several performance-oriented concepts of some of the brand’s most popular passenger cars, including the SS Sport, Sonic, Impala and Cruze. They will debut Nov. 4-7 in Las Vegas at the SEMA Show, the world’s largest convention of automotive aftermarket parts and accessories.

“Chevrolet’s 2015 passenger car lineup is one of the strongest and most competitive in the industry, offering customers a wide range of great-looking, great-driving and well-connected choices,” said Paul Edwards, vice president, Chevrolet Marketing. “They’re personal cars, too, and these concepts suggest possibilities of how to amplify Chevrolet’s heritage of performance and fun-to-drive spirit to make them even more personal.”

The SEMA concepts feature accessories designed to allow personalization while maintaining excellent refinement and ride characteristics. General Motors’ engineers developed most of the accessories shown on the concept vehicles. Some accessories are available from Chevrolet dealers, while others are being evaluated for production.

The available accessories are designed, engineered, tested and backed by Chevrolet to be installed by a Chevrolet dealer, which maintains the vehicle warranty – a claim aftermarket manufacturers cannot make.

Leading Chevy’s SEMA charge is the SS Sport concept, followed by a pair of street-savvy subcompact Sonic concepts, a sinister-looking Impala Blackout concept and a sportier take on the Cruze RS.

SS Sport concept

Inspired by Chevrolet’s motorsports heritage and its Australian lineage, the SS Sport concept gives the V-8-powered sports sedan a makeover that reflects its performance capability.

Unique features include:
  • Enhanced Some Like It Red Hot exterior with body-color door handles and mirrors
  • Chevrolet Accessories grille kit, fog lamp bezels, side fender vents and rear spoiler
  • Chevrolet Accessories stripes for the hood and deck lid
  • Chevrolet Accessories high-gloss black 20-inch wheels – 20 x 8.5-inch in front and 20 x 9-inch in the rear
  • Chevrolet Accessories wheel caps with the Holden logo
  • Chevrolet Accessories sport pedal kit and cargo net
  • Chevrolet Accessories floor mats and cargo tray with the Holden logo.

Power for the Chevrolet SS comes from the LS3 V-8, delivering an SAE-certified 415 horsepower (310 kW) and 415 lb-ft of torque (563 Nm). For 2015, it is available with a new six-speed manual transmission, along with a six-speed, paddle-shift automatic.

Additionally, the 2015 SS receives standard Magnetic Ride Control – the world’s fastest-reacting damping system – which provides more precise body motion control that correlates with a more responsive, more refined ride. Also new are Brembo rear brakes that complement the Brembo front brakes that have always been part of the SS’s equipment.

Sonic Performance concept

This performance-oriented Sonic hatchback concept draws on the legacy of Chevrolet’s high-performance vehicles reimagined for a new generation of enthusiasts. The Sonic Performance concept features engine performance, suspension/brakes and appearance upgrades designed to be installed by Chevrolet dealers for quicker and easier personalization.

The Performance concept package includes:
  • A Chevrolet Performance Stage Kit, cold-air induction and a high-flow exhaust system allowing the 1.4L turbo engine to produce more power for a more exciting driving experience
  • A track-tuned suspension system developed by Chevrolet Performance. The suspension kit lowers the ride height for a sportier stance
  • Synergy Green exterior color accented with white, offset stripe package
  • Chevrolet Accessories white headlamp rings, tail lamp rings, grille surround, mirror covers and rear spoiler
  • Concept ground effects package
  • Chevrolet Accessories 17-inch aluminum wheels in white
  • Chevrolet Accessories carpeted floor mats, door sills and sport pedals.

The Sonic Performance concept features an advanced safety package including forward collision alert and lane departure warning – crash-avoidance technologies typically found on cars costing more – as well as a rear vision camera. It also features 10 standard air bags and Bluetooth phone connectivity – just like every production Sonic in the 2015 lineup.

Sonic Accessories concept

Built to highlight the personalization possibilities, Sonic Accessories concept allows mixing and matching of the latest accessories for unique treatments.

Sonic Accessories concept highlights include:
  • Summit White exterior color with an offset matte black stripe
  • Chevrolet Accessories white headlamp rings and tail lamp rings
  • Chevrolet Accessories black grille surround, mirror covers and rear spoiler
  • Chevrolet Accessories black 17-inch aluminum wheels
  • Chevrolet Performance suspension kit with lowered ride height
  • Chevrolet Accessories carpeted floor mats, door sills and sport pedals.

The Sonic Accessories concepts also packs a Kicker® subwoofer and amplifier to complement its street-smart style with the appropriate decibels.

Under the hood is the Ecotec 1.4L turbo rated at 138 horsepower (103kW) and 148 lb-ft of torque (200 Nm) of torque between 1,850 and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance.

Impala Blackout concept

Redesigned a year ago, the 2015 Chevrolet Impala builds on the attributes that made it one of the most acclaimed new cars of 2014 – including being named the Cars.com Best Car of 2014 and one of Kelley Blue Book’s 12 Best Family Cars for 2014.

The Impala Blackout concept builds on the car’s aggressive, acclaimed styling with blacked-out cues that lend it a sinister attitude – all accomplished with paint and accessories available from Chevrolet. The simple-yet-effective formula includes: Chevrolet Accessories black grille surround, rear spoiler, painted mirror caps and 19-inch aluminum wheels.

The all-black, leather-trimmed interior features custom trim plates with a wire mesh pattern, along with Chevrolet Accessories stainless steel sills – with the Impala logo – and a sport pedal kit. The Impala Blackout also rocks with the production model’s available 11-speaker Bose® Centerpoint® Surround Sound System, which connects to the Chevrolet MyLink system via an eight-inch-diagonal color touch screen.

The Impala’s available 3.6L V-6 engine, rated at 305 horsepower (227 kW) and 264 lb-ft of torque (358 Nm), powers the Blackout concept. It is the segment’s most powerful naturally aspirated V-6 engine.

Cruze RS Plus concept

Cruze is the cornerstone of Chevrolet’s North American small-car lineup, which is attracting a greater share of the market and more young, first-time customers visiting Chevy showrooms. It is also Chevrolet’s best-selling car around the world, with more than 3 million units sold globally since its launch in mid-2010.

The 2015 Chevrolet Cruze in North America receives revised exterior styling, enhanced interior convenience and greater connectivity – including new Text Message Alerts, Apple Siri integration and OnStar 4G LTE with available built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.

An available RS package includes unique fascias, rocker moldings, rear spoiler and fog lamps, while an uplevel instrument cluster includes chrome accent rings in place of the standard silver finish, and opaque cluster bezels that allow the cluster’s ice blue backlighting to shine through for a sporty nighttime appearance.

The Cruze RS Plus concept accentuates the distinctive, upscale styling cues of the 2015 Cruze RS with a custom Wildfire Metallic exterior, along with unique lower body moldings and a custom rear spoiler. A twin-stripe package in matte black is available from Chevrolet Accessories.

Inside, the Jet Black interior shines brighter with a Chevrolet Accessories ambient lighting kit and illuminated door sills. It also features a sport pedal kit and a Kicker® subwoofer and amplifier kit.

Under the hood, the concept’s aggressive styling is matched with a performance-enhancing stage kit from Chevrolet Performance, as well as a concept fresh-air intake system for the 1.4L turbo engine.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I like the Impala
Old 10-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Will be interesting to see the stage kits for the turbos.
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
I like the Impala
Me too. They always catch my eye when I see them on the road.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Is GM doing anything with the Camaro at SEMA this year with it being the last year of the fifth gen?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: W/28
put the 1le suspention on the SS it would be bad ass
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Is GM doing anything with the Camaro at SEMA this year with it being the last year of the fifth gen?
Other than the as-yet-unnamed Emerald Green special edition? No idea.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
this is a great attempt by GM to hit all crowds.. Nice BUT continue forward
Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
I wish they would keep that Cruze styling for a couple more years...

Sent from the road...
Old 10-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Jeanie" 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
I'm on the fence about the Chevy SS. I like it, but it is a bit bland. I felt the same way about the G8. The Impala looks sweet. They should make an Impala SS.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
I wish they would keep that Cruze styling for a couple more years...

Sent from the road...
Hell no. Cruze's design was already mundane at launch. D2XX should have launched this year.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Q'smuscle
life with muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
What no performance package for the Malibu? The Malibu is the best four door Chevy looks wise !
Old 10-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Pretty lackluster imo. More interested in the Challenger T/A that will debut there.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
What no performance package for the Malibu? The Malibu is the best four door Chevy looks wise !
A FWD midsize sedan should be among the last vehicle on the performance 'to do' list at GM. Just behind ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
I'm on the fence about the Chevy SS. I like it, but it is a bit bland. I felt the same way about the G8. The Impala looks sweet. They should make an Impala SS.
Though I hope both are slotted in ahead of the Trax SS, Equinox SS, and Traverse SS.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 10-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green SE
Was hoping for a 2 door Cruze with a 2.0 turbo.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM   #16
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 1999 GMC Envoy
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
A FWD midsize sedan should be among the last vehicle on the performance 'to do' list at GM. Just behind ...

Though I hope both are slotted in ahead of the Trax SS, Equinox SS, and Traverse SS.
IMHO, If GM were to ever do another Impala SS, I'd be willing to bet it would be more along the lines of what the XTS Vsport is (since they are platform mates after all), with the 3.6 TTV6, AWD, something like that. That could have some potential. A FWD SS would just be as pointless as the last one.
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
IMHO, If GM were to ever do another Impala SS, I'd be willing to bet it would be more along the lines of what the XTS Vsport is (since they are platform mates after all), with the 3.6 TTV6, AWD, something like that. That could have some potential. A FWD SS would just be as pointless as the last one.
I kinda liked the old 5.3L SS's, due to the sheer absurdity of sticking a V8 sideways & assuming it would perform well. But given a choice between an AWD TT Impala SS and a RWD 6.2L SS sedan ... I'd take the SS (err ... not Impala) any time. Might be because I don't like the 'feel' of my parents Impala. The controls are too light & disconnected from the road (with all sorts of gizmo's & gadgets to 'help' you drive .... bleh!). On the other hand, I have never driven an SS sedan & its been years since I've been in my cousins (V6) G8, so maybe I don't have quite enough experience with these cars to make a good judgment.

I know that a lot of people equate AWD with OMG WTF BBQ levels of performance ... but aside from 0-60 I've pretty much found them to be 'meh' in terms of performance. Mediocre gas mileage, run out of steam quicker, extra weight, ... just not my cup of performance tea. Once they're moving, a RWD car almost always has better dynamics & performance. And if snow is a concern ... I would first take a beater & park my 'nice' car, and if that wasn't an option I'd go for a set of snow tires (superior driving dynamics doesn't change in reduced traction ... and if you can't get moving due to lack of traction you're better off to just stay put), and then lastly AWD/RWD.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #18
SSJ455

Drives: "Jeanie" 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
I kinda liked the old 5.3L SS's, due to the sheer absurdity of sticking a V8 sideways & assuming it would perform well. But given a choice between an AWD TT Impala SS and a RWD 6.2L SS sedan ... I'd take the SS (err ... not Impala) any time. Might be because I don't like the 'feel' of my parents Impala. The controls are too light & disconnected from the road (with all sorts of gizmo's & gadgets to 'help' you drive .... bleh!). On the other hand, I have never driven an SS sedan & its been years since I've been in my cousins (V6) G8, so maybe I don't have quite enough experience with these cars to make a good judgment.

I know that a lot of people equate AWD with OMG WTF BBQ levels of performance ... but aside from 0-60 I've pretty much found them to be 'meh' in terms of performance. Mediocre gas mileage, run out of steam quicker, extra weight, ... just not my cup of performance tea. Once they're moving, a RWD car almost always has better dynamics & performance. And if snow is a concern ... I would first take a beater & park my 'nice' car, and if that wasn't an option I'd go for a set of snow tires (superior driving dynamics doesn't change in reduced traction ... and if you can't get moving due to lack of traction you're better off to just stay put), and then lastly AWD/RWD.
My Gp GXP had that motor. It sounded real nice with a Magnaflow exhaust and it hauled ass!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:

You have to consider that "back in the day", the 5.3L was about the equal to the 3.6L put in most FWD cars today. So it was never going to perform like the RWD cars of the past.

And based on your AWD comments, It doesn't sound like you've driven a Full Time AWD car with a decent engine................i.e. Audi S4 That car with 330 hp and 333 lbft of torque (HP same as GM's 3.6 but much higher than GM's 270 torque) with the DCT punched way above it's weight class. Yes a nearly 4,000 pound small car but 4.9 to 60 and I never found it lacking and the FE was several MPGs above our AWD ATS. GM's AWD is simply a step below FT AWD. Now I haven't driven the AWD Mitsubishi or Subaru so I can't compare. But 300 HP inline turbo 4 cylinders don't get much FE when you use your right foot a lot, at least from my experience. Our ATS barely gets upper 20s on the highway.

That being said, I traded the Audi for the SS and from a performance perspective, I'm glad I made that move. I know I'll miss the AWD in the coming winter and the FE sucks with the SS. But the LS3 makes up for both of those.

What I miss is the wonderful interior, the fit and finish and materials and the flawless body panel fit, and the dealership experience for service. All clear give ups going to a Chevrolet. But again, the LS3 has thus far compensated for those too.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #20
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 1999 GMC Envoy
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:

Oh dont get of wrong I'd take the Commodore SS with its angry V8 And rear wheel drive over and all wheel drive TTV6 Impala all day long lol. I was just saying that if Chevy we're to do another sport model on the Impala that they would probably just pick out of the parts bin of what the already have with the XTS Vsport. That way it wouldnt step on the Commodore's toes and yet still be a pretty solid performing car. Throw a more tuned suspension at it than the XTS has of course. By no means do I think it would be the be al end all of performance awsomeness just cuz its AWD but it would at least be something that performs well-ish in its segment compared so some rivals. But thats just my two cents. While the SS sedan is still in production, i dont see an Impala SS of any kind coming.