Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #426
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,243
Been so loyal to the Camaros that I've neglected my DD. It was full of sap from sitting in the driveway all week. Finally rained like hell last night, problem solved.
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #427
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows
 
nUcLeArEnVoY's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 3,281
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Advice from experts! I'm looking to detail my car, my problem is that my car is a DD and with all this rain my car got dirty fast... it's there a way to detail the car in this situation?
There's a difference between a car being dirty and a car that "needs detailing." If you want to savor a full detail, I wouldn't do it in the rainy season. Odds are, when you drive out of the garage you'll run into a shower or wet roads. ... well, at least that's how it is down here.

I'm worried enough about the potential damage from rain water my car might be sustaining right now as it sits at home in this hellish sunlight with the water beads from an early morning shower sitting on its horizontal surfaces.

There's no escaping your car getting dirty when a.) it's summer and b.) it's your daily driver.

I'm presuming you know something of the trade when it comes to detailing since you frequent this board a lot, so if you take care of your car as much as I presume, then the best advice I can give you is to just wash your car once a week as usual and REAAALLY savor it when it's clean.

Rainy season is right up there with winter when it comes to being tough on cars. I dunno how it is up there in PA... I'd imagine summers up there actually enjoyable.
__________________
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #428
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)
 
Monchy36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slatington, PA
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
There's a difference between a car being dirty and a car that "needs detailing." If you want to savor a full detail, I wouldn't do it in the rainy season. Odds are, when you drive out of the garage you'll run into a shower or wet roads. ... well, at least that's how it is down here.

I'm worried enough about the potential damage from rain water my car might be sustaining right now as it sits at home in this hellish sunlight with the water beads from an early morning shower sitting on its horizontal surfaces.

There's no escaping your car getting dirty when a.) it's summer and b.) it's your daily driver.

I'm presuming you know something of the trade when it comes to detailing since you frequent this board a lot, so if you take care of your car as much as I presume, then the best advice I can give you is to just wash your car once a week as usual and REAAALLY savor it when it's clean.

Rainy season is right up there with winter when it comes to being tough on cars. I dunno how it is up there in PA... I'd imagine summers up there actually enjoyable.
Thanks for the advice but I think you misunderstood my question... I'm going to GM nationals on June 22, under the light I see some areas that need detailing, I only have 1 week to get it looking spotless! But with this storm not helping I have to get this done some way, unfortunately I need the car for work, so ideas? Should a do 1 area at the time? My mayor concern is that I only have one buffing pad orange and 1 white, so I was trying to do all the car in 1 day...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #429
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows
 
nUcLeArEnVoY's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 3,281
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Thanks for the advice but I think you misunderstood my question... I'm going to GM nationals on June 22, under the light I see some areas that need detailing, I only have 1 week to get it looking spotless! But with this storm not helping I have to get this done some way, unfortunately I need the car for work, so ideas? Should a do 1 area at the time? My mayor concern is that I only have one buffing pad orange and 1 white, so I was trying to do all the car in 1 day...
Aha, then I did misunderstand. Your post just said you wanted to detail the car, didn't know you were prepping for a show.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I did my decon and for the wheels (which take around an hour and a half each), I did them day after day, leaving the paint for Sunday. Which took 8 hours alone.

The only way to accommodate a detail during rainy season is to spread it out, IMO. A properly done detail is an all-day project, and unless you start right in the morning (which is crazy because then you'll deal with scorching afternoon heat), there's no way you'll get it done by starting later in the day when the temperature is low, because once nightfall hits and dew starts to form on the car, all bets are off.

Try to think of a way to section out your polishing stages and then the next day, you'll have to wash the car allover again before hitting your next section. It'd be better if you can do one stage at a time (i.e. do your orange pad one day and white pad the next), presuming you're doing a two stage paint correction.

This is all 100% moot if you own a garage, in which case I'd tell you to get down to brass knuckles and get the hell to work. LOL

If you really want the time to do this, I'd rent a cheap car for $30.00 a day like a Nissan Versa and use that, freeing up the Camaro to be detailed.

I wouldn't worry about paint perfection... judging by the "big, special, high-end, super exclusive" show Matt went to and won after what was essentially a quicky waterless wash, I wouldn't say these judges would really care about a stray swirl here or there. In fact, your orange pad will probably finish up well enough for them to be impressed.
__________________
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #430
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)
 
Monchy36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slatington, PA
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Aha, then I did misunderstand. Your post just said you wanted to detail the car, didn't know you were prepping for a show.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I did my decon and for the wheels (which take around an hour and a half each), I did them day after day, leaving the paint for Sunday. Which took 8 hours alone.

The only way to accommodate a detail during rainy season is to spread it out, IMO. A properly done detail is an all-day project, and unless you start right in the morning (which is crazy because then you'll deal with scorching afternoon heat), there's no way you'll get it done by starting later in the day when the temperature is low, because once nightfall hits and dew starts to form on the car, all bets are off.

Try to think of a way to section out your polishing stages and then the next day, you'll have to wash the car allover again before hitting your next section. It'd be better if you can do one stage at a time (i.e. do your orange pad one day and white pad the next), presuming you're doing a two stage paint correction.

This is all 100% moot if you own a garage, in which case I'd tell you to get down to brass knuckles and get the hell to work. LOL

If you really want the time to do this, I'd rent a cheap car for $30.00 a day like a Nissan Versa and use that, freeing up the Camaro to be detailed.

I wouldn't worry about paint perfection... judging by the "big, special, high-end, super exclusive" show Matt went to and won after what was essentially a quicky waterless wash, I wouldn't say these judges would really care about a stray swirl here or there. In fact, your orange pad will probably finish up well enough for them to be impressed.
Thanks again I try that...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #431
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro
 
AmericanMuscleCars's Avatar
 
Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,693
I am just going to wash, rinse and dry his truck. No wax, just getting rid of the "streaks" of wax that didn't exist in the first place.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #432
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Aha, then I did misunderstand. Your post just said you wanted to detail the car, didn't know you were prepping for a show.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I did my decon and for the wheels (which take around an hour and a half each), I did them day after day, leaving the paint for Sunday. Which took 8 hours alone.

The only way to accommodate a detail during rainy season is to spread it out, IMO. A properly done detail is an all-day project, and unless you start right in the morning (which is crazy because then you'll deal with scorching afternoon heat), there's no way you'll get it done by starting later in the day when the temperature is low, because once nightfall hits and dew starts to form on the car, all bets are off.

Try to think of a way to section out your polishing stages and then the next day, you'll have to wash the car allover again before hitting your next section. It'd be better if you can do one stage at a time (i.e. do your orange pad one day and white pad the next), presuming you're doing a two stage paint correction.

This is all 100% moot if you own a garage, in which case I'd tell you to get down to brass knuckles and get the hell to work. LOL

If you really want the time to do this, I'd rent a cheap car for $30.00 a day like a Nissan Versa and use that, freeing up the Camaro to be detailed.

I wouldn't worry about paint perfection... judging by the "big, special, high-end, super exclusive" show Matt went to and won after what was essentially a quicky waterless wash, I wouldn't say these judges would really care about a stray swirl here or there. In fact, your orange pad will probably finish up well enough for them to be impressed.
Wasn't big special, high end, or exclusive..

Wasn't trying to give that impression. I was just ribbing those guys a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #433
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,185
I don't think car shows for the most part care about light swirls.
Only if your at a detailing show or something like an indoor higher end show.

Don't get me wrong, if a black car comes in nicely cleaned up and waxed but has so many swirls that make his car hazy then the Judges will surely look at that.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #434
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows
 
nUcLeArEnVoY's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 3,281
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Wasn't big special, high end, or exclusive..

Wasn't trying to give that impression. I was just ribbing those guys a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I know I was just being sarcastic. The show you went to is kind of a big one, though, as far as I know.
__________________
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #435
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)
 
Monchy36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slatington, PA
Posts: 4,672
What's wrong today? normally I read a least 3 pages daily here... today not even 1?
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #436
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
I think some of us pushed to google.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #437
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,156
Today I was at a funeral and busy with family stuff all day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #438
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,185
BUSY AS HECK LATELY.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #439
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
A/C broke in my building. Woke up today, 92 in here. First world problems...
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #440
Nick@Adams



 
Nick@Adams's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
A/C broke in my building. Woke up today, 92 in here. First world problems...
__________________
Email: Nick@AdamsPolishes.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @AdamsPolishes
Use the code CAMARO5 or CORVETTE7 at checkout to save 10% off your next order at www.AdamsPolishes.com
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #441
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Lmao

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #442
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)
 
Monchy36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slatington, PA
Posts: 4,672
What get better results? Sealant then wax or wax then sealant? And this BF diamond how many times a month I can apply for max protection?
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #443
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
What get better results? Sealant then wax or wax then sealant? And this BF diamond how many times a month I can apply for max protection?
Sealant then wax
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #444
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,999
Bf diamond every 3 -6 months will do fine...it's very durable stuff.....
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #445
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,595
Sup guys! Was off the forums for a bit once again, but this time it was for tequila in Mexico

Note to self: I really don't like tequila lmao

So how's everyone been?
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #446
Nick@Adams



 
Nick@Adams's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,769
Tequila is evil. I only drink it about once every 10 years... it typically ends badly... I swear it off again for another decade.

You'd think I'd learn my lesson.
__________________
Email: Nick@AdamsPolishes.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @AdamsPolishes
Use the code CAMARO5 or CORVETTE7 at checkout to save 10% off your next order at www.AdamsPolishes.com
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #447
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Tequila is evil. I only drink it about once every 10 years... it typically ends badly... I swear it off again for another decade.

You'd think I'd learn my lesson.
Tequila makes me naked.

You've all been warned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #448
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,185
It makes me wanna get naked when I eat the worm lmao.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #449
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,185
But seriously, I really hate it.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #450
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,156
Was pretty cool today. My sister and I were working on her CRT Cruze and I had her running the PC with a spot pad. She was excited when she was able to get out some scratches.

Also taught her to clay and had her using the speedy prep towel.

Now whether or not she ever uses those skills again...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.