Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
spen5151

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof
Carbon Fiber Insert Damage on underside of insert?

Hello all,

So we have had our ZL1 for a little less than 2 weeks. I am fully detailing for the first time since I got it as the weather is finally nice enough. When I was cleaning out the engine bay I noticed something that looks disturbing to me. I have the exposed Carbon Fiber insert as a heads up. The underside of the insert looks to have many cracks in it. I googled to see if I could find anything else on this but came up with nothing. Can some of you ZL1 owners with the exposed insert let me know if yours is the same. My understanding of carbon fiber is once it cracks it will continue to crack from any sort of vibration. Here is a picture of mine so you can see what I mean. Thanks for all your help!
Attached Images

Traded:
2011 Camaro 2SS IOM, RS, Polished Rims, Sunroof, Black Stripes, Hurst Shifter
Mods: Borla ATAK Cat-Back, CAI Intake, Skip Shift Elim, Tint
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
5151, I don't have these under my ECF hood, nor have I heard of the issue earlier.

Having worked with CF in a non-automotive capacity, what I am seeing in your photos appear to be individual strands of CF that have just come away from the piece of fabric while being made. If so, no need for concern. They would not be cracks. GM goes to great lenghts to ensure that the exposed portion of the insert is aesthetically perfect, but the portion on the underside is far less worrisome to most.
That said, it's difficult be be sure without seeing and feeling the area. Are you able to feel individual strands with your fingers, much like lenghts of hair?
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
spen5151

Thank you for the quick reply. They feel like they are directly on the surface. Thats why I thought they were cracks in the carbon fiber itself. It feels like strands of hair that is embedded in the surface of the carbon fiber if that makes sense, kind of like what a crack feels like. The hood portion of the insert looks perfect with no issues at all. What are your thoughts?

Traded:
Old 05-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
razorz28

Drives: 2014 Jeep Rubicon, 2014 Camaro Z/28
I work in the CF industry and as zedl1 said it is normal. Check it after it is hot after a long drive and if the cracks are open then you have a problem.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
That is normal
Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
I used to make carbon fiber parts. This looks to be the surface markings that result from a vacuum bag technique. as the plastic layer is sucked onto the carbon piece, it crinkles up and these marks cure into the underside of the part being made. So, normal I think. Mine looks the same way as well. 2013, painted insert, exposed on bottom with those marks.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
I asked the same question when I looked at the bottom of my insert. I was curious also.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254441
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
spen5151

Thank you very much everyone for your responses. I feel much better with everyones thoughts and to hear that others look the same. Like you all said its more the process of making the insert that caused this. Anyhow I will check one day after a long drive when its hot out to see if they are open. But it does seem like I have nothing to worry about. Thank you all for your help!

Traded:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
Thank you very much everyone for your responses. I feel much better with everyones thoughts and to hear that others look the same. Like you all said its more the process of making the insert that caused this. Anyhow I will check one day after a long drive when its hot out to see if they are open. But it does seem like I have nothing to worry about. Thank you all for your help!
5151, glad to hear that you're no longer concerned. The strands should feel like they are on the surface, just as you said, since there is no clearcoat on the underside.
Sounds like all you have is typical of the part construction process rather than a part defect. Happy that it's that way.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Mine is all ugly like that under the hood too, I have the exposed CF. Didnt notice until I saw your post. Thanks. Guess its all good.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote