Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
lt4camaro

Drives: 2016 1lt v6 manual
intake manifold

I have a intake manifold question, but it is on the 2016 V6 not the 5th gen. I will be removing the throttle body to do some clean up of rough edges and port matching. With the t/b removed I notice the built in restriction at the mouth of the intake . Can that be removed with out any issues ? I see that it would be very easy to port it out, but will it whistle now? or have cold weather driving issues? or any driveability issue's. BTW, my car is a manual 1lt.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
You just don't want the debris from the porting to be sucked in to the com bustion chamber,removing any obstructions and matching the manifold to the throttlebody will improve airflow and be beneficial! Clear it out, those things disrupt airflow. Remove them, you will be glad you did.
K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
You just don't want the debris from the porting to be sucked in to the com bustion chamber,removing any obstructions and matching the manifold to the throttlebody will improve airflow and be beneficial! Clear it out, those things disrupt airflow. Remove them, you will be glad you did.
Thanks bud, looks you are a pro at it and have some good mods under your belt, here is a pic of what I saw.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro

I've done LFX intake manifolds and will soon be doing LGX's with Will from Overkill.yes remove those upper and lower 'bars' with the holes in them. Take those both out. Open the throat of the manifold composite till it matches the diameter of the throttlebody. Be careful not to damage the blue ring ,as that seals the TB to the manifold. This will help with throttle response and and acceleration and should give a couple ponies on the top end. Be careful as you don't want debris falling down into the motor.. there should be 2-3 sensors to unplug and 7-8 10 mm bolts to remove and take the manifold out. Then you don't have to worry about problem of debris getting into the motor. If you do, take a pic of the exit of the runners. You maybe able to do some thing down there. What are you using to remove the material? Dremmel? Die grinder? Sanding roll? Jig saw?
K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Old 11-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
lt4camaro

Quote:
I've done LFX intake manifolds and will soon be doing LGX's with Will from Overkill.yes remove those upper and lower 'bars' with the holes in them. Take those both out. Open the throat of the manifold composite till it matches the diameter of the throttlebody. Be careful not to damage the blue ring ,as that seals the TB to the manifold. This will help with throttle response and and acceleration and should give a couple ponies on the top end. Be careful as you don't want debris falling down into the motor.. there should be 2-3 sensors to unplug and 7-8 10 mm bolts to remove and take the manifold out. Then you don't have to worry about problem of debris getting into the motor. If you do, take a pic of the exit of the runners. You maybe able to do some thing down there. What are you using to remove the material? Dremmel? Die grinder? Sanding roll? Jig saw?
Mostly a Dremmel. The throat of the intake feels bigger (with the t/b bolted on and my fingers reaching in with the blade in the open position) I rolled and tapered the actual throttle body opening to smooth the transition from the intake opening to the throttle body. I will measure this when I remove the t/b again to cut the upper and lower bars. I realize the blue/green oring is a seal. I will fingernail it out and reinstall. I usually pack the intake opening with rags and then vacuum when I am done to catch all the debris. Not sure if I will pull the intake, I realize its easy and I did just that on my 2015 LT1 vette. Cleaned up rough edges and casting uneven edges etc, port matched to the head openings etc. How bad are these V6 intakes on the 6th gen as far as casting mismatches, rough edges and head port match?
Old 11-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Kenny Camaro

Glad your taking steps to keep the waste out of the intake.l haven't had the six gen apart so I don't know. The fifth gen is not that bad but there is some areas that can use attention. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
lt4camaro

Quote:
I did it, runs great.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
gringo

Drives: Camaro
What is the purpose of the lattice bar thing at the mouth of the intake? GM added them for a reason, I'm sure.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
What is the purpose of the lattice bar thing at the mouth of the intake? GM added them for a reason, I'm sure.
Engineers trying to earn there money and show how smart they are. In reality,those bars are reducing the total area that allows air into the mainifold. If you do nothing other than remove them you have increased the ability for more air to more freely enter the manifold. I hope I get to play with one soon. Will is all tied up in his Cadillac super charger project. Soon , hopefully he will return too us Camaro guys! Yours looks good!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
seishuku

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
They may be restricting the air a bit, but sometimes the air turbulence can reduce power more than what the opening is.
I'm sure they designed the plenum with a flow simulator and did flow testing on a bench... Those are there for a reason... Of course they could just be there to change the plenum resonance too for noise reasons too.
Hard to say for sure.
seishuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #11
Kenny Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seishuku View Post
They may be restricting the air a bit, but sometimes the air turbulence can reduce power more than what the opening is.
I'm sure they designed the plenum with a flow simulator and did flow testing on a bench... Those are there for a reason... Of course they could just be there to change the plenum resonance too for noise reasons too.
Hard to say for sure.
5th gen performs better without them, dyno proven. According to the butt dyno of the op, 6gen does too.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
Kenny Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughwaterjohn View Post
They are similar in design to the venturi, or narrow area in the throat of a carburetor, and they function the same way. Because they create a slight restriction, air flowing through the openings and the openings at the top and bottom of the throttle body speeds up, creating a quick response at throttle tip-over and increasing air intake velocity at low speeds. On a stock engine you’d want to leave them alone for better low end torque and acceleration.

On a performance engine, either with engine mods or planned engine mods, you’d want to remove them as at higher engine speeds and air flow, they become a restriction. They’re great for velocity (low speed), but can hurt volume (high speed). If you’re cleaning up the MAF and / or intake, removing casting flash and smoothing entry and exit points, removing them would be a logical next step.
Valid points. Good info.