Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Imitation is the best form of flattery

Hey guys. I just threw this picture up on another board in response to the Nov. issue of road and track. As the title of this thread states.... imitation is the best form of flattery.

Plus... in this article there is absolutely no mention of the Camaro!!! WTF!

Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
returnofthereal
 
returnofthereal's Avatar
 
Drives: 69,71,84 Camaros
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 21
Wow is all I can say.
returnofthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
chevy4824
 
chevy4824's Avatar
 
Drives: 1983 hurst olds
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 45
Send a message via AIM to chevy4824
that Mustang look exactly like the new camaro
chevy4824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,658
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243
KILLER74Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
oops....
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
afterdigital
 
afterdigital's Avatar
 
Drives: CTS 2005
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC, NY
Posts: 53
chevrolet is taking too long. let's see i found out in 2005 and now it's 2006. IF they take too long it may backfire!!! that will be my worst nightmare
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

..:::CTS-05, Blue-Chip, 3.6VVT, Brushed-Aluminum Moldings, One MIC (Mobile Information Center), Mesh Grill...

..:::Camaro 2008/09 - I'll take mine in black w/Metallic Stripes down the middle



..:::Finished Project

..:::Blog of my project

..:::CTS Car hacking v1.8 Video
afterdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #7
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdigital View Post
chevrolet is taking too long. let's see i found out in 2005 and now it's 2006. IF they take too long it may backfire!!! that will be my worst nightmare
I have thought this since the announcement that it wouldn't be until 2009 that this hits the dealers. I honestly believe that if they can get this car out by the end of next year (which I know will not happen) their sales will be much better than if they wait until the beginning of 09. I seriously believe that other than those of us who are obsessed with this car, the general public will be bored witht he muscle car wars (since the challenger will already be out by then) and will simply be uninterrestd. I hope and pray this si not the case, however I can really see it happening.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #8
MarkLS2
Administrator
 
MarkLS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 157
Agreed on so many levels. 1) this ford design is a total rip off of the camaro (if its really a design by some ford artist) 2) GM is taking way too long to get the car out there, allowing other manufacturers alot of time to close the gap on the camaro and put something out right on the heels of the camaro coming out. This car should be on the streets already to be honest.
MarkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
I guess my question would be why do you all think it is honestly going to take so long to get it in the dealers lots? As much as I would like to be able to trust that the marleting people and higher-ups at GM know what they are doing, I wonder if this decision is more logistically focused. However, I really think that if GM wanted to get a car out in 2 years time (again assuming that they had intentions of producing a Camaro as they were developing the Concept) they would be fully capable of doing so. I would really like to be able to pick their brains. Trying for a fasionably late entrance just does not make sense to me.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,177
egh...first off, both those Mustangs should never see the streets. They b fugly IMO. I kinda like the rear on the siver one....kinda.

GM said it would be an 09 model released in 3rd quarter 08, right? So, that'd be two years from now. NOW...I've been told that GM is saying 3rd quarter for a reason...because if they said 1st quarter and something came up slowing the production process and pushing it back to 3rd quarter 08, the general public would be pissed. However, the general public won't be pissed if they say 3rd quarter and have it come out in early 1st quarter 08. They are covering their @sses by setting the 3rd quarter date. YUP.
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Twin Turbo
 
Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Berkshire, England
Posts: 145
I've been poking around a couple of Mustang forums recently and the odd thing is, they seem to hate both of these.

The silver one I can accept, as it certainly has strong overtones of the Camaro....probably why I like it so much

However, why they can dislike the red '09 model is beyond me, as it's little more than a new GT500 clone......and they all like the Shelby

The original R&T article stated that the facelift (red) would be out in '09, whilst the all new car (silver) would be out in '12. Could be just rumours, but it appears Ford may bring forward the all new car to '10 so that its not too far behind the Camaro. If the new car uses the Australian Falcon platform, as has been suggested, then IRS is likely. Another nod to the Camaro.

All in all, I think Ford are rightly worried about the new Camaro. Here's a stunning car, with IRS and great powerful engines, just ready to take away Mustang sales. Hopefully they're doing all they can to make the next generation 'Stang a real competitor to the Camaro, to the benefit of the end buyer.

Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
GM said it would be an 09 model released in 3rd quarter 08, right? So, that'd be two years from now. NOW...I've been told that GM is saying 3rd quarter for a reason...because if they said 1st quarter and something came up slowing the production process and pushing it back to 3rd quarter 08, the general public would be pissed. However, the general public won't be pissed if they say 3rd quarter and have it come out in early 1st quarter 08. They are covering their @sses by setting the 3rd quarter date. YUP.
First of all... Nice Sig!

I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed. However, I did read somewhere on another forum a post by someone who has a friend that works at the Oshawa Plant describe the timeline that was laid out to them for the conversion, and the way he described it they plan on stopping production of the current assembly by the end of 07 beginning of 08 and then start prepping the lines to begin production on the Impala first with the Camaro following in late 08. I hope this is not set in stone and they swap the Camaro and Impala production schedules which would mean it could possibly hit dealers by mid 08. IMO the Impala has a lot less to lose by a later release date than the Camaro.

By the way, you say that "you are being told..." Is it from a very reputable source? Are you at liberty to say at what level this person resides? Just curious, not criticising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
GM said it would be an 09 model released in 3rd quarter 08, right? So, that'd be two years from now.
True, but again I am very much under the assumption that they had every intention of releasing this car while they were developing the concept and find it hard to believe that at the very least the basic architecture was not laid out a year prior to the concept unveiling. I don't know if that is even what you were getting at, so disregard if I am totally off here.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,177
I'm sure they were intending to release the Camaro, but could you imagine what would have happened if they began it in 04??? That would have been over a year more of developement and hoping employees could keep their mouths shut. IMO, they did this with perfect timing.
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
LowRider
LowRider
 
LowRider's Avatar
 
Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WV
Posts: 390
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
Ford is still going to get the s*** stomped out of them
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #15
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,658
"Under Promise and Over Deliver"…
KILLER74Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
Ford is still going to get the s*** stomped out of them
Are you kidding me, the mustang is going to be left cold in the rain! The Camaro will even be giving their flagship GT500 a run for its money assuming they are able to keep the camaro's weight under 3600lbs, PLUS it is not being forcefed with a supercharger like the GT500.... Pure displacement baby! I absolutely love how GM is coming out of the gates at full speed this time. I seriously believe that the Camaro is going to really validate GM's direction in this new era of struggling US automakers putting it back on top. As if Ford didn't already have enough problems, just wait until 2009.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
Couple of thoughts;

- When I first saw that picture of the silver "2012 Mustang", I immediately thought "Camaro".

also - I think that "2012" Mustang concept will be too radical for loyal Mustang owners. I have a sister who is "one of them", and she hated the look. (I told her it was just a photoshop and far from a production version.)

and - IIRC (if I recall correctly... ) I don't remember the new Mustang receiving nealy as much positive response as the concept Camaro has.

IMO (sorry, I was up at very early this morning ) I think Ford has their work cut out for them.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,658
I just don’t see it, other than the color I think it looks nothing like the Camaro Concept. Kind of looks like a WWII fighter plane without the wings. Furthermore, are these actual Ford pictures or are they photo shops of what Road & Track thinks the mustang is going to look like? Take a closer look at the photos, they look photo shopped to me. I don’t see Ford releasing photos of a face lifted mustang until 08 or 09.
KILLER74Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I just don’t see it, other than the color I think it looks nothing like the Camaro Concept. Kind of looks like a WWII fighter plane without the wings. Furthermore, are these actual Ford pictures or are they photo shops of what Road & Track thinks the mustang is going to look like? Take a closer look at the photos, they look photo shopped to me. I don’t see Ford releasing photos of a face lifted mustang until 08 or 09.
I'd almost say with 100% certainty that the pic. of the silver car is photoshop/computer generated.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,177
Doesn't look real to me. And...why in the world would Ford go and release an actual picture of a car which hasn't been made yet and is for a production vehicle not to be released for another 6 years. It just doesn't make any sense. It's gotta be photoshop. Oh, did I mention it's FUGLY!!!
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #21
fierocamaro
69 Camaro lover
 
fierocamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FdL, Wisconsin
Posts: 22
Those Mustangs in the picture just look sad to me!:(
__________________
fierocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
Twin Turbo
 
Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Berkshire, England
Posts: 145
The red one is a photoshop of a GT500.....in fact, it's a photoshop of THIS picture. I'm guess R&T did it, or got someone to do it for them.





Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #23
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Thought I would bump up this thread so people can continue their discussion on the Camarrrrrr.... Mustang and how it looks like the Camaro to keep that other thread from completely derailing. Here is the picture that was being talked about

Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #24
ChevyNut
 
ChevyNut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 316
[QUOTE=Casull;2624]PLUS it is not being forcefed with a supercharger like the GT500.... Pure displacement baby!

The exact reason the newer performance mustangs are not pure muscle cars to me, because they cant make high horsepower out of their engines with out a supercharger. Ya thats cool you have 500 hp. oh you want to make more well thats too bad because the biggest mod you can do to an engine has already been done guess youll have to crack open that engine block and start rebuilding the engine. geesss what a load of $h!+ ford has lost all clue how to make a good engine without scing it they should close up the engine r&d for the year and try again next year. GOD I HATE FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
You shouldn't Hate Ford, they're one of us(american), remember? Just Dislike them A lot...

The Mustang looks sad because it knows it's about to be kicked in the ass(real hard), by one of the most celebrated Sports Cars in History, except the Vette. Also Look at it this way, the Mustang is old, it hasn't had a rest since it was created. The Camaro, however we may have disliked it, has had a wonderful 6 year Vacation in which it had a massive facelift, and built up some serious power...Poor little horsey has no chance at all...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.