Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
RipGear

Drives: '74 Vette Coupe
I believe the DA in the apples to oranges topic hasn’t been clearly discussed. PharmD was running his car at a DA (density altitude) of over 2000 on a hot and humid day. The magazine tests were done before the current heat wave and often in places where the DA should have been much lower. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! On June 26, Friday, Houston Raceway Park had a measured DA of 2915 feet above sea level at 3:50PM. The track is physically located at 38 feet above sea level but the heat and humidity ruins that during the summer. What this means is there is not as much air going into the engine so the power output is reduced (like running your car in the mountains). We should be seeing times that match or beat the magazine times when it cools off and the humidity drops. Houston can get negative DA (more than 1000 feet below sea level) during the winter, which means you are running faster than you should. Will everyone dismiss those 0-60 claims as well?

Decent Link to Calculate DA for Tracks:
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php

P.S. - This is my first post on this forum but I thought this topic was worth adding emphasis to. Let's learn to make these cars faster!
RipGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A lot of guys in here don't know about density altitude or what it does to a cars performance.
Cars run noticeably slower with a high density altitude. When the density altitude gets up over 2000 ft, cars really start to perform sluggishly (compared to being at sea level on a cool day).

All this "not as advertised" stuff will be a thing of the past this fall. People will be very happy with the times the LS3 and L99 cars will be running at the track this fall in cool dry air.

Last edited by SGOS252382; 06-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
A lot of guys in here don't know about density altitude or what it does to a cars performance.
Cars run noticeably slower with a high density altitude. When the density altitude gets up over 2000 ft, cars really start to perform sluggishly (compared to being at sea level on a cool day).

All this "not as advertised" stuff will be a thing of the past this fall. People will be very happy with the times the LS3 and L99 cars will be running at the track this fall in cool dry air.
I just got back from Church, but that's some pretty good preachin' right there...

Nice 0-60 BTW on your other post
Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #29
Rickys S/C Z28

Drives: 67,79,00 camaro
hay pharmd love your cam man bring that thing by and lets go for a ride!
i want a 5th gen!
Rickys S/C Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #30
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

Come on, when you pull up to a stock Mustang, Trans Am or less and get your doors blown off IN THE SAME CONDITIONS something is very wrong.

rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #31
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
Come on, when you pull up to a stock Mustang, Trans Am or less and get your doors blown off IN THE SAME CONDITIONS something is very wrong.

Granted, and GM should take care of you guys, I hope they dont' try to get out of helping you. They need to step up to the plate and make it right.

On the other hand, if you had a tune you MAY not be having those issues. But I agree, I'd be making sure the dealer did "something" for me before I go voiding my warranty if there is something for sure wrong with my ride.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #32
Lgray
camaro69

Drives: 1969 camaro
I agree I live in az and the track down the road sits at 3075' and on a hot summer night its like running at 8000' so your car slows down a ton from bad air. Most of us race here know you will lose .5-.7 on E.T 1/4 mile from running in july as to compared to Feb. I know a M6 SS will not run 13 flat at 111 without mods.
Lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #33
Lgray
camaro69

Drives: 1969 camaro
when I order a new camaro I will have a set of ARH headers and tune and change the muffs to scare to the snowbirds next to on the road in the winter........!
Lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
teamlynn1
Mr. Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Tahoe Z71, 2009 Silverado
sweet!

Bobby Lynn
GM Burien Chevrolet
www.burienchevrolet.com
206-243-5800 ext 151

teamlynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #35
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
You guyscan spout about DA, time of day, humidity, and all that stuff you want to. Explain to me why it doesn't seem to be affecting other cars the way it's affecting ours? Why is my wifes IS350 running better times consistantly than mine. The laws of physics don't cease to exist under her hood.

Why did Scott get beat by a V6 Honda? And the V6 Camaro at his dealer beat his car? We're not stupid. And we're not making this shit up.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #36
slowerthanu

Drives: 2ss on order, 06 f-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
You guyscan spout about DA, time of day, humidity, and all that stuff you want to. Explain to me why it doesn't seem to be affecting other cars the way it's affecting ours? Why is my wifes IS350 running better times consistantly than mine. The laws of physics don't cease to exist under her hood.

Why did Scott get beat by a V6 Honda? And the V6 Camaro at his dealer beat his car? We're not stupid. And we're not making this shit up.

I really hope that nobody here is honestly insisting that it is altitude or driver error. I live in Salt Lake city, our actual altitude is over 3900 feet above sea level and the cars here will be slower but they will all be slower.

A V6 Accord will lose just as much as a V8 Camaro L99. The Camaro should be walking that car, even with a total jackass behind the wheel.

I have been racing for years (from the street legal drags to SCCA solo II) and even I can see that a few of these cars are just not running correctly.
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #37
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

Some of you guys have legitmate issues that you need to address with your dealer. What this post was directed at, was those folks that implied that even the "decent" running L99's were not as fast as GM claimed. New Era's car for instance, even with summer DA, achieved a 4.21 0-60 time with CAI and tranny tune only.

Address your issues with your dealer and if they wont' help you, my humble recommendation is go visit your local tuner and have him fix what GM didn't do right from the factory.

BTW that Lexus IS 350 would probably give you a decent run even if your car was running right, much less otherwise. The IS is a nice car, and fairly quick for what it is. I would assume it has several miles on it and is broken in completely...Your car will get quicker guaranteed, as you break it in. JMHO.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #38
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Some of you guys have legitmate issues that you need to address with your dealer. What this post was directed at, was those folks that implied that even the "decent" running L99's were not as fast as GM claimed. New Era's car for instance, even with summer DA, achieved a 4.21 0-60 time with CAI and tranny tune only.

Address your issues with your dealer and if they wont' help you, my humble recommendation is go visit your local tuner and have him fix what GM didn't do right from the factory.

BTW that Lexus IS 350 would probably give you a decent run even if your car was running right, much less otherwise. The IS is a nice car, and fairly quick for what it is. I would assume it has several miles on it and is broken in completely...Your car will get quicker guaranteed, as you break it in. JMHO.
Yes her car should run with mine pretty good but theres NO WAY she should beat me like she has. By about 9 car lengths. Not sure how far we raced. (I had a buddy drive hers) but we just picked a point on the abandoned strip. I was doing 120 when we hit the point so it was obviously well over 1/4 mile but I should beat her. We counted to three and got an equal jump.

And 'conditions' such as humidity, weather and such should not affect ANY car to the tune of 1.5 seconds to 60. I'll have my dealer handle the car of course.

I'm not blaming or dogging GM at all for this situation. I get pissed when it rains but doesn't mean it's anyones fault. I just want them to fix it and I'm obviously disapointed.

I just have a problem with having to tune an engine that should be operating better. My fear is that I address the problem from where it is but could get even better performance if it were running right in the first place. If I start from a 4.9 accelaration time then I can finish all the batter after doing some mods later.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #39
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I was stationed at Fort Benning about 8 months ago. We would all drive to Silverdollar Raceway. It was a 1/4mi track. This was when I had my 01 cobra still (don't ban me lol). We went out one day during the summer and ran best 14.0-14.2. We came out later that season and ran a 13.6 with no extra mods done since the last time (CAI, catback, Eibach lowering springs, and gears). Humidity/weather has a big factor in your cars performance regardless of what others say. Congrats on the new headers and tune and great sounding car. I plan on ordering my ARH LT's with HF catted x pipe soon.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #40
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Check out the dates on the posts. This is a really old and famous issue that they found a resolution too. PQ was the point man for us and discovered a great deal of information and educated us all olong the way. If you want to check it out just search Fuse pull or look at the sticky. It is a good read and worth knowing for every camaro owner.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
bcamaro1

Drives: Blue ray w/ silver stripe 2ss
TSP, bbk, OBX, and others are some headers or around 750 with cats and I know that the tsp work amazing.

First car-2011 L99, Vmax ported throttle body 90mm, Vararam intake, flowmaster outlaw exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ Cats, PCM tune
bcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #42
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
yep it is, here then, bone stock 1/4 mile time. best out of 14 runs. 50 degree weather. = 13.3 jannetty tune, and texas speed long tubes. oohhhhh 12.5....... the reason it was 5 seconds was from all the rubber it just decieded it did not need any more..... do the same mods just the 2 and i bet the man ls3 might not make the 1/4 as fast with 90 % of the drivers...........
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote