Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #26
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP
 
coreyaustin17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MYSTIC CT
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
I traded my BLack Camaro SS/RS after 3months keeping it clean was just TOOOOOOO much work :( That and it was just to fast a BIG TICKET waiting to HAPPEN.
i feel your pain ive had 2 reckless driving tickets in 2 months ( ct reckless driving is anything 85 and above on the interstate kinda ridiculous but thats the law one i was doing 86 the other he didnt radar me just somehow knew i was going way over 85 my lawyer fought this one and won so that was good
__________________
coreyaustin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #27
jrcbandit
 
jrcbandit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I have a DD, with 15k miles on it, all highway (where the rock chips come from), and I have 1 VERY SMALL rock chip. Thats it.

The paint has held up great!
Lucky, mine is also a daily driver and only 2 months old - there are already 4 freaking rock chips. I bought a package of Dr. Colorchip to hopefully make them look acceptable.

I didn't really want a Clear Bra on black, plus the good quality clear bra is very $$ and adds nothing to the value of the car when you resell it - that said, I regret not getting one this time..

Also, the black paint swirls like crazy - only clean microfiber towels touch my car and I use an Adam's polish mit to wash the car with lots of suds from Adam's car wash, yet my car is already full of very light swirl marks (only visible in direct sunlight at certain angles). I wonder how many of the swirls were the result of dealer car washes.....
jrcbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #28
Blake_GM
 
Blake_GM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MO, USA
Posts: 359
I've got a ton of rock chips on the front fascia and on the rear gills. Everywhere else is perfect and holds up fine.
__________________
2011 2SS w/RS, L99, CAI Inc. cold air intake, SOLO axle-back with j-pipes, Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers with Kooks high flow cats and dyno tuned.
JDP FE4/1LE Upgrade and BMR Sway Bars.
Blake_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #29
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with my paint?
Nope- My '10 SW Camaro is still chip free after 28,000 miles. I've taken many trips including
So Florida, Canada, Indy, etc and no paint chips.
My windshield looks like its been sandblasted, but overall the car still looks new when detailed.
__________________
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #30
kennyo
 
kennyo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Port jeff sta.,long island,ny
Posts: 475
My 03 Mustang which i owned for 6 years and used 06 Charger which I owned for 2 years held up a lot better than this camaro which I've owned for just over 2.I was wondering what people were talking about when I first got it and checked the threads on here.Now I know.
__________________
Mods-Painted Crystal Red Tintcoat Rally Stripes,Rotofab CAI,Dynatech ZL1 long tube headers and high flow cats with Borla S-Type catback exhaust,JRE tune,SS badges on trunk and grille,SM Tach chrome rims,Kenwood DNX890hd head unit,Hybrid audio clarus component set and Mirus 6x9 speakers,JL XD 700/5 amp.
kennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #31
Zorns
 
Zorns's Avatar
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer2 View Post
Getting mine done Sat!!

Sent from the fast lane!
How did your Opticoat turn out?
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #32
rich3fan
What's this button do?
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,235
Today IS Friday right?
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
Abomb1223

 
Abomb1223's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 889
paint sucks. gills take most of the chips and I have a nasty one on the hood. Terrible. The heck is opti coat and how do I get it done? and how much?
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
sloSS
 
sloSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 253
I've had a positive experience with Chevrolet black paint. Traded a black 2011 Equinox for the Camaro. Equinox had 49k miles on it after 14 months with no paint chips and no orange peel.
My SS has 24k miles and 15 months on the road, no orange peel, but one tiny chip on the hood caused by a chrome, metal object (18 wheeler lug bolt?) which left a small dent at impact point and a cracked windshield; no other chips on the car. I do stay back from other vehicles or pass them, and avoid gravel patches on the road. Use Zaino Z5 Pro on both cars, don't think it helps mitigate chips but who knows?
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
heRS


 
heRS's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,055
I had the same thing. Let hubby go buy groceries in the Camaro and he dragged a bag of groceries across the paint under the trunk opening and I spent an hour buffing out the scratches. Point is, it shouldn't be that easy to screw up your paint.
Also, it's not a clear coat problem when the chips go down to primer. 31k of hiway miles and my hips have freckles. I did clear bra the front but not the hips - wish I had.

I had a 65 mustank when I was 16 that had hip chips too, but it was because the previous owner chained up and left a few links flapping and slapped the crap out of that paint with chain.
Paint is the only complaint I have about the Camaro.
__________________
Tori
click the sig pic to view my build thread


heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #36
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by aabreu09 View Post
I was actually going to post a thread regarding that, because the paint on our cars are so sensitive. If we go to a bodyshop and get it repainted, would it make a difference or what? Black cars cant possibly be this terrible -_-
I had mine repainted, finally got to say goodbye to the factory orange peel in the paint.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #37
Bauer2
ATC
 
Bauer2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorns View Post
How did your Opticoat turn out?
I'll let you know tomorrow after its done!!
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #38
duh954boy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 41
I thought I was the only one who was having issues with the Camaro paint. My quarter panels look like they were hit with buckshot a few times. I have only had the car a little over a month. I can't believe how crappy this paint is. I love my car but hate this paint.
duh954boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #39
Zorns
 
Zorns's Avatar
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 136
My bad.....didn't pay attention to the date/time of your post.
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #40
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician
 
SPARTAN sui's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 2LT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I had mine repainted, finally got to say goodbye to the factory orange peel in the paint.
I know prices will vary from shops, but how did that run you?

My only complaint about my car is the terrible paint. :( I hate getting close to wash it because I keep finding new chips everytime. My passenger side gills now have several chips.
__________________
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #41
Bauer2
ATC
 
Bauer2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
paint sucks. gills take most of the chips and I have a nasty one on the hood. Terrible. The heck is opti coat and how do I get it done? and how much?

Well its like a really hard clear coat doesn't scratch (within reason) and is very durable and chemical resistant also makes washing much easier since stuff doesn't stick to it to well.

As far as cost and who to apply it there are a few options. They have a DIY kit for like $70 and you have to sign a waiver to purchase it that way if you screw it up you can't blame them. Another option is you can have someone apply it for you. I think they have a list of authorized installers on thier website but I can't get it to come up at work. Obviously each person is going to charge a diffrent amount to do it so it depends. I'm getting mine done for around $400.
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #42
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
Lucky, mine is also a daily driver and only 2 months old - there are already 4 freaking rock chips. I bought a package of Dr. Colorchip to hopefully make them look acceptable.

I didn't really want a Clear Bra on black, plus the good quality clear bra is very $$ and adds nothing to the value of the car when you resell it - that said, I regret not getting one this time..

Also, the black paint swirls like crazy - only clean microfiber towels touch my car and I use an Adam's polish mit to wash the car with lots of suds from Adam's car wash, yet my car is already full of very light swirl marks (only visible in direct sunlight at certain angles). I wonder how many of the swirls were the result of dealer car washes.....
The clear bra does add value at trade in since your paint will be flawless.
mine stops EVERYTHING. and is lifetime warranty so anything goes wrong he changes it.
it's already paid for itself.
try getting an estimate from a GOOD body shop to repaint the front bumper and mirrors. will be FAR more than a good clear bra install.
and a GOOD install especially if you have it Opticoated over you will barely be able to see it.
most people completely miss mine until they look super close.
Love bugs literally wipe off.. rocks from semis never make it to the paint. a very worthwhile investment on a new car with no damage.

And yes the dealer is most likely who trashed your paint with swirls.
even Ferraris need a full paint correction from the factory.

I just had mine full corrected and it is a stunner now. Opticoated over the top and it will stay perfect till I remove it.
No more wax no more swirls and no more crappy thin clear coat.
well worth the 500 bucks for correction and Opticoat. especially on a DD.
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Dual Mode Exhaust CAI Inc CAI
Lethal Racing Stage IV
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x
 
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
I traded my BLack Camaro SS/RS after 3months keeping it clean was just TOOOOOOO much work :( That and it was just to fast a BIG TICKET waiting to HAPPEN.
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x
 
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaustin17 View Post
i feel your pain ive had 2 reckless driving tickets in 2 months ( ct reckless driving is anything 85 and above on the interstate kinda ridiculous but thats the law one i was doing 86 the other he didnt radar me just somehow knew i was going way over 85 my lawyer fought this one and won so that was good
Don't get me wrong I know our cars are pretty quick but don't blame the car for the reckless driving, the car doesn't drive for you, and kinda sounds weird that u got a ticket for going over 1mph doubt that was the speed limit to begin with but yet again idk what state you are in, but if I was to guess u probably were doing 20+ mph over cause where I live it's 65 on the freeway but everywhere it's different but that's my guess.
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCAMARO 2SS/RS View Post
Don't get me wrong I know our cars are pretty quick but don't blame the car for the reckless driving, the car doesn't drive for you, and kinda sounds weird that u got a ticket for going over 1mph doubt that was the speed limit to begin with but yet again idk what state you are in, but if I was to guess u probably were doing 20+ mph over cause where I live it's 65 on the freeway but everywhere it's different but that's my guess.
exactly I can get that same ticket in any car.

learn a little self control and take responsibility for your actions.
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Dual Mode Exhaust CAI Inc CAI
Lethal Racing Stage IV
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
paul84043
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lehi, Utah
Posts: 174
Automotive paint in general went to crap when the EPA forced manufacturers to change their formulations due to emissions guidelines.
It's not just the Camaro, it's all vehicles, you just care more now.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #47
TastyBake

 
TastyBake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
The butcher paper never touched the paint. Modern clearcoat would be the culprit. However, it also buffs out pretty well.
What type of clearcoat paint won't scratch from butcher paper?
From my understanding, water and non-water based (slightly older style) would have scratched from that paper.

Would a good coat of wax stop paper from scratching it?
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #48
TastyBake

 
TastyBake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
The clear bra does add value at trade in since your paint will be flawless.
mine stops EVERYTHING. and is lifetime warranty so anything goes wrong he changes it.
it's already paid for itself.
try getting an estimate from a GOOD body shop to repaint the front bumper and mirrors. will be FAR more than a good clear bra install.
and a GOOD install especially if you have it Opticoated over you will barely be able to see it.
most people completely miss mine until they look super close.
Love bugs literally wipe off.. rocks from semis never make it to the paint. a very worthwhile investment on a new car with no damage.

And yes the dealer is most likely who trashed your paint with swirls.
even Ferraris need a full paint correction from the factory.

I just had mine full corrected and it is a stunner now. Opticoated over the top and it will stay perfect till I remove it.
No more wax no more swirls and no more crappy thin clear coat.
well worth the 500 bucks for correction and Opticoat. especially on a DD.
I SOOOOOOO (and I do me SOOOO) regret not getting a clear bra.

As soon as I bought the car, I said I'd get it. But...:(
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #49
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
I SOOOOOOO (and I do me SOOOO) regret not getting a clear bra.

As soon as I bought the car, I said I'd get it. But...:(
Yah we bought ours on a Saturday by Monday morning it was in for tint and clear bra.
For sure is a great feature. Would have loved even more if the dealer had the option of it so it could have been included. But the place I went is far better than the dealer anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Dual Mode Exhaust CAI Inc CAI
Lethal Racing Stage IV
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #50
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I know prices will vary from shops, but how did that run you?

My only complaint about my car is the terrible paint. :( I hate getting close to wash it because I keep finding new chips everytime. My passenger side gills now have several chips.
Looooong story as to why, but my insurance covered the repaint - they shelled out about $8,000.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.